• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If an average Halfling has a 8 Str and weighs 30-35 lbs...

Is this a big problem?

I think an ant can lift several times it's body weight, right?

From what I understand from physics, if Giants really existed, their Torso's would crush their legs past a certain height.

Lalato

Adventurer
Average halflings aren't really the problem... it's the 16 STR halflings, those guys are seriously off-kilter.

If it weren't for game balance, I would say that halflings should have -4 STR, but hey... it's a game... and playing an uber-strong halfling is fun. :)

--sam

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
This is one reason why I like racial maximums. Halflings would probably be have a max of 12 or so. With weapon finesse it's not that big a drawback.

if we're assuming automatic weapon finesse, sure. If you mean just that they can blow a feat on it, I don't think its sufficient...

But at that point you need to be placing racial maximums on all races for all stats. And there goes half the fun of pushing a high level character into the stat-trosphere. ;)

Kahuna Burger

Klaatu B. Nikto

First Post
There was a Ripley's Believe It or Not! episode that had some freakishly buff 7 year old who could bench 185 lbs, which was about 3x his body weight. IIRC, he was the offspring of stuntmen, who also taught him martial arts. Apparently the kid wants to be the next Ah-nuld.

Edit: Found info tho not completely sure of the accuracy.

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
Actually, a beef I always had with 2E was that strength and body weight never did seem to have any sort of relationship, particularly in the case of giants. I mean, IIRC, they were able to carry only a fraction of their body weight.

I've noticed that this has crept into 3E in a few cases and the pedant in me (the dominant personality fragment, I might add) does not like it.

Cheers
D

Nasma

First Post
I'm not sure if this helps, but a creatures strength is proportional to the cross sectional area of its muscles, while its weight is proportional to the cube of its height. What this means is that the smaller a creature is, the more it can lift relative to its body weight. Its strength has decreased, but its weight has decreased more.

Remove ads