The Journey To...North America, Part Two

In writing these articles I have come to understand how many people are voiceless in the collective imaginary land that is role playing games. I hope that these articles make our hobby and industry a place where more people are welcomed and encouraged to become involved. Which brings me to North America, the part the second.

I spoke to a friend of mine and her words still resonate with me. I asked Susan what she might want in terms of how her people are portrayed in role playing. She replied that she would not want her people's traditions taken for granted. Sacred is sacred. In struggling to find a theme for this article, her words helped me focus in on what is important. So I will begin, before talking about the people, with my "How would I use this?" section.

It is not hard for those of us descended from European, especially Western European ancestry, to relate to the sacred. Stonehenge comes to mind. Beowulf and the legend of Arthur. Joan of Arc. The stand at Thermopylae. Rome at its best and at its worst. A host of cultural touchstones that help give us some common context and cultural language. They literally are sprinkled through our role playing; ideas from history and mythology that fuel how we play.

So if I were going to run a campaign among the North American native tribes, prior to European arrival, it would be heavily focused on those ideas that they found and still find as sacred. It would be an intimate campaign, with no Vecna or dragons or Sauron. Perhaps a band of folk who have suffered loss who wander from place to place, helping others and battling legends. The magic would be subtle and beautiful and full of mystery. It would deal with the idea of what is sacred and how the sacred shapes the lives of the characters. Of course this can be taken into science fiction as well and Shadowrun does some of this with its setting.

What is sacred to the native tribes of North America? A best we can generalize because there are over 500 recognized tribes in the United States, including many in Alaska. Susan mentioned a few things: The Dance, The Ceremony, The Animals, and of course The Land itself. In our modern times issues of land ownership and management have come up again as natural resources are found on tribal lands. To the native peoples, land is more than just a means of making a living or a sign of prosperity. It represents a means of preserving cultural history and identity. Indigenous folk see themselves as protectors of the land and everything associated with it. Equally important are the spiritual and religious aspects of the land and specifically sacred spaces. These sacred places are integral to the tribes spiritual practices and when the land is disrespected, this insults the people and their beliefs. They also believes it angers the land. This should be an important concept in any campaign run using native peoples.

I would recommend talking to native folk about their own tribes and tribal traditions instead of relying on just Internet searches. In general most scholars break the native peoples of North America, excluding Mexico (covered here) into ten different cultural areas. These are the Arctic, Subarctic, Northeast, Southeast, Plains, Southwest, Great Basin, California, Northwest Coast, and Plateau. These cultures had distinct lifestyles from one another, with some being agricultural and others more nomadic. Tragically some have been lost along the way and that is something we should never forget. If we as games masters and content creators can keep them alive in our games, then that is one way of continuing their legacy into the future.

​contributed by Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Sean Hillman

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Or you could study your market and then gauge how many sales you are truly losing vs the virtue signaling. Yes, there are people who feel that you can't write about a culture unless you are a part of that culture. And then there are other people who don't feel that way. It comes down to which segment is larger for your product and if this mindset fades.

I mean keep in mind that this site ran an article railing against Orient Adventures and then a week later ran an article for (an excellent) campaign for 5E rooted in the Orient.

What happens if you are role playing in Mythic Europe at around 1100 AD and your character manages to procure a Viking Longship and sail across the Atlantic? North America was discovered by Leif Erikson after all, not Columbus. the Viking colony in Vinland didn't last, but then player characters might change that history, by sailing further south along the North American coast than the Vikings ever ventured. There was some interaction between Europe and North America in the times before Columbus. What would happen if the Player characters decide to sail down the coast of North America, past Cape Cod, up the Long Island Sound and onto the shores of Manhattan Island itself?

Here is a map of what Manhattan would look like before the Europeans came:
https://welikia.org/m-map.php

One can make a D&D map out of this. In my opinion, Manhattan looks a lot nicer without the buildings, but perhaps that's just because I spend a lot of time there being stuck in traffic.

What if the PCs land their longship on the shores of Manhattan, what would they find?

Thomas Bowman

First Post
The purpose of the Journey to... articles is really three fold
1. To open up players to potentially other cultures and mythologies for their play
2. To encourage research and respect of those cultures
3. To suggest that in embracing different world views, it might also change the dynamics of how we play, from merely dungeon delving or alien killin to ideas built around actual cultural and social conflicts. It adds a level of verisimilitude.

You may not care for trying something that is outside of, let's just call it "Why You Play". That's fine, no value judgment (really). The articles are not being written to shame anyone, they are being written as simple education. No one is saying "Don't play other cultures", instead we are saying "do so with respect". That really is it.

It is not diversity for diversity sake, which would be a hollow gesture on everyone's part.

So how would medieval Europe interact with the native tribes of North America in the time before guns? We have a small sample of that with the Vikings, but what if the players went further south in the Viking longships, they have bows and arrows, swords, and armor, the Native Americans also have bows and arrows. the difference between Europe and North America is less without guns. What the native Americans lacked was the ability to work metals such as iron and steel, they also lacked horses. I think horses are difficult to transport on a Viking longship, those boats are built to carry much livestock.
th

How do you carry a horse on that?, but this is what you have for Atlantic crossings. I suppose horses could be towed on a raft by a number of longships, but the process won't be easy. Particularly in an ocean filled with sea monsters, as this is D&D were talking about!

Steve1

First Post
I understand "Social Justice Warrior" being derogative, but I don't get "Virtue Signalling", which describes a practice that absolutely exists. What is an acceptable alternative to describe this practice?

Do you think other cultures also told similar stories and tropes, or do you think this phenomenon is unique to white Europeans?

All cultures tell similar stories and tropes. What is unique to White Europeans in this context is the decimation of a way of life, namely that of Native Americans.

Because it is exactly those trope stories told by Europeans to enforce an idea that such people were "less than, not equal" to themselves. And it hasn't grown much. You call it catering to sensitivities, but I call it whites finally re-questioning these cultures and becoming enlightened enough to retry not just a respectful conversation, but seeing non-Euro cultures in a fresh light again to pay the same respects they gave to their own for so long.

You don't need a Ph.D to do this. Also, I am pretty sure most gamers do European cultural research to enhance their games. I know I do. So why is it somehow different to you to do the same with other cultures?

I would simply advise anyone considering delving into a non-European culture to do so with great caution, or if they are not prepared to do the requisite research, not at all. One need only consider the controversy WotC made when they created Chult, with its Africa-like "tropes." I am sure they didn't intend to offend anyone, but people were offended for a variety of reasons and the company was publically excoriated. The superficial research conducted by your average RPG company is likely insufficient to the task and they risk a lot as WotC recently discovered.

Phasestar

First Post
All cultures tell similar stories and tropes. What is unique to White Europeans in this context is the decimation of a way of life, namely that of Native Americans.

That statement depends entirely on a particular frame of reference that has a limited view. If you look throughout the history of civilizations that we are aware of, there is nothing especially unique about what happened to Native Americans, nor unique to white Europeans in terms of their part. History is full of instances of one civilization conquering and effectively replacing another, time and again, especially when there are major technological differences between them. It seems to me that a lot of folks have taken a recent snapshot of only a certain part of history, then only looked at that part from a certain point of view and proceeded to draw conclusions based on it without looking beyond it at all.

Phasestar

First Post
I would simply advise anyone considering delving into a non-European culture to do so with great caution, or if they are not prepared to do the requisite research, not at all. One need only consider the controversy WotC made when they created Chult, with its Africa-like "tropes." I am sure they didn't intend to offend anyone, but people were offended for a variety of reasons and the company was publically excoriated. The superficial research conducted by your average RPG company is likely insufficient to the task and they risk a lot as WotC recently discovered.

We've gone off-topic from the original article, which I honestly did not really have an issue with, but I do have a bone to pick with the discussion that followed it.

I hear what you're saying, but I hope this "modern" point of view which equates to just telling a lot of people to shut up is a fad - the idea that people can only research or include a culture if they are of that culture or have a particular skin color is one of the more absurd concepts I've ever heard. It's another form of political correctness.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We've gone off-topic from the original article, which I honestly did not really have an issue with, but I do have a bone to pick with the discussion that followed it.

I hear what you're saying, but I hope this "modern" point of view which equates to just telling a lot of people to shut up is a fad - the idea that people can only research or include a culture if they are of that culture or have a particular skin color is one of the more absurd concepts I've ever heard. It's another form of political correctness.

Except that literally *nobody* has said that.

Mark, please do not use derogatory terms designed to dismiss different opinions like "virtue signalling"; like "social justice warrior", these terms are insults. Please try to address the argument without using derogatory terminology.

I do apologize, it was thoughtless, not malicious.

However, I'd like ask about your role in choosing articles? My central complaint is that we've had an article saying Oriental Adventures aren't appropriate and a spotlight of a Oriental-inspired setting for DnD 5E.

Do these articles reflect the opinions of this site? If not, would you consider a statement like that in each article?

I'm genuinely curious.

Steve1

First Post
That statement depends entirely on a particular frame of reference that has a limited view. If you look throughout the history of civilizations that we are aware of, there is nothing especially unique about what happened to Native Americans, nor unique to white Europeans in terms of their part. History is full of instances of one civilization conquering and effectively replacing another, time and again, especially when there are major technological differences between them. It seems to me that a lot of folks have taken a recent snapshot of only a certain part of history, then only looked at that part from a certain point of view and proceeded to draw conclusions based on it without looking beyond it at all.

We are not discussing history in its entirety, only a facet of it as put forth by the topic of the article.

I agreed with your implication that "stories" or "tropes" are not phenomenon unique to White Europeans. Human beings have waged war against one another since the beginning of civilization, and so, I also agree with your point that there are plenty of examples of one civilization conquering another. But in the context of this article, and now in this thread, we are discussing a specific people and how "stories" or "tropes" were used as a basis for their decimation. You may feel that what Native Americans experienced is "nothing especially unique", but I would guess that some Native Americans would beg to differ.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases