D&D 5E Design help/critique for spirit nagas?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm writing up 3 spirit nagas for my Tome of Annihilation game – chieftains of pterafolk tribes in a deep dark jungle who keep darker secrets. I could really use an extra pair of eyes and a fresh injection of creativity! Especially about how you'd differentiate them & what secrets they keep?

Normally I ask very specific questions when soliciting feedback on ENWorld, but in this case I'm in the chaos of deep design with D&D books across editions scattered on my desk and Dragon articles on my laptop, so please forgive my general plea for "help?" B-)

Here are my notes so far...

Three spirit nagas inhabit the Chultengar, acting as chieftains over tribes of pterafolk whom they use to keep horrific arcane secrets and advance their own agendas. These are Zhanamandir, O'ungiso, and Tzen Nerej. While they constantly scheme against one another, the spirit nagas universally fear and revere Kanyamba, an ancient ha-naga whom they consider to be an avatar of the naga deity Shekinester’s Weaver aspect. Every decade, the spirit nagas travel to a hidden open-air pit cave (e.g. Cave of the Swallows) in the jungle known as the Conclave of Spirits; this is more than a political gathering, but also a spiritual one where the nagas shed their old ways of seeing for new understanding – just as they shed their skins in the journey to or from the Conclave. Indeed, the spirit nagas have a powerful connection to the Conclave as it is where they rejuvenate in new bodies if they are killed.

Once, there were thrice as many spirit nagas but their numbers have steadily dwindled over the last centuries. Ukurlahmu lost control over a tribe of pterafolk to a ruthless human mercenary named Kaverin Ebonhand, and without its supporters Ukurlahmu quickly fell prey to the depredations of the yuan-ti of Omu who transformed it into a bone naga. Another known as Kelibeza was petrified as an ice statue by Artus Cimber wielding the Ring of Winter. Yet another – Rangalang – crossed paths with Acererak while searching for ancient artifacts and was wished out of existence. Nusafir was driven from the Chultengar by the pterafolk tribe he formerly led after his exploitations of the pterafolk grew too transparent, and he is alleged to lurk in Samarach. While Jhanjhebi was killed in a pyroclastic flow and mysteriously never rejuvenated in the Conclave, leading to much speculation about what befell her. missing description of one more

3ahYSZG.png

Thanks in advance for any ideas, critique, or resources you can suggest!

Last edited:

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Tzen Neraj seems have a necromancy/transmutation theme going. I would recommend:
Chill touch cantrip
Protection from Evil and Good (1st level)
Animate Dead (3rd level. For the zombies)
Polymorph (4th level. Okay, it doesn't exactly fit, but it's the closest I can find to this naga's theme of transforming lizardfolk into pterafolk)

O'Ungiso is connected to Yuan-Ti. I would recommend:
Poison Spray cantrip.
Speak with Animals (1st level)
Suggestion (2nd level?)
Fear (3rd level)
Dimension Door (4th level)
Greater Invisibility (4th level)

As far as traps are concerned, I imagine something like a water weird made from blood. Maybe give it the Stench feature?
I once ran a yuan-ti temple for my dad's characters in my homegame. The "blood weird" was hiding in a basin filled with blood that had been placed on the alter.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases