ZEITGEIST [Spoilers]On Iconography

arkwright

Explorer
Heyo; one more question.

The golden icons. The party finds three on Axis Island, and Xambria has another in book 3. Used in the Axis Ritual, etc etc. But, I'm stuck on one question- where do they come from? Where have they all resided since the Axis Ritual? After some searching, I've come up with two possible answers.

1. All the icons remained on Axis Island, and some left it and ended up in other hands (Meredith).
  2. All the icons remained at the ziggurats scattered around the world, and the Ob retrieved some and put them 'back' on Axis Island.

I've found reasons for or against both of them; I could use some help figuring out which is true.

Also, one bonus question. What are the Ob doing with the seals? As far as I can tell, they're planar-energy infused hunks of gold and somewhat useless; yet Caius has been spiriting them away from Ziggurats for years. What happens to them? What are they used for?

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I think they were imbedded in the stone pillars that lay beneath the seal. One of these pillars broke, hence a disconnect from Avilona.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
The Icons you know as much as I do. The End Game ritual suggests the icons should be on Axis island with the pillars, however the ancients may have had more than one of each icon as they seem to have completed the ritual in stages and so may have needed icons when they built the ziggurats as well as at the axis seal.

I presume the Ob are studying the seals and that is part of how they learn their mastery of planar magic, Caius in book 3 considers the seals themselves of marginal importance what he wants is the study of the seals and their magic, this is in his instructions to Fiona Duvall , I presume they are in a warehouse or have been broken down to use their magic and gold for other projects, he has at most two of them as the Apet Seal and Mavisha seal have not been recovered by the Ob and as far as I can tell they only looted 2 other ziggurats and the Earth Ziggurat may still have its seal

The ziggurats were designed to seal single planes. Each has an icon for that plane.

The Axis Seal ritual was designed to seal *everything else* off, and then link only eight planes to this world. It *also* had an icon for each plane.

So there's two copies of each golden icon.

Remove ads