Katana

smbakeresq

Explorer
I would suggest that the sword only levels up once certain important honorable goals have been completed. Maybe the sword has a mind of its own, and telepathically lets the wielder know what it wants to do. The DM can then decide which objectives are important enough for the sword to gain new power.

This way you can tie the mechanical side of the sword directly to role playing.

This works also. It could also level up when you kill a certain creature.

Another neat way is for the sword to be intelligent from the get go, but not have all its power available except for the voice inside the sword that constantly harangues the PC. A wise mentor doesn’t have to quiet or likeable. This helps because the sword can help the PC and group stay on the rails

Oofta

Legend
Another way of approaching this, because every DM has a different tolerance for magic items.

Think about how much magic you want to give the party. Should everyone have an uncommon weapon or implement by level 5? Then at some point the sword becomes magical (no plus) and by level 5 it gets upgraded to a +1. Continue this line of thought - what rarity of magic items (and relative power) should the characters have at level n?

Or do it the other way around if you just use random treasure. Roll for a flaming weapon? Don't give that out, but suddenly the Katana bursts into flames. In a good way, of course.

I've run campaigns a couple of ways, either by just deciding what item rarity level was appropriate, having a magic-mart, just rolling for random. No one way is perfect, and articles from previous editions (which assumed higher pluses) may not work either.

So look at weapons in the DMG, decide what types of features might be appropriate for the weapon and then work backwards.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Thanks! Probably going to adapt it for 5e's rarities (Common -> Uncommon -> Rare -> Very Rare -> Legendary).

The XP thresholds need to be adapted since XP in 5e is lower.

Actually I think I would use milestones to ramp up the weapons. Since you are putting yourself into the weapon I think I would make it intelligent from the get go, make it some reflection of your Id.

Last edited:

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
As mentioned, the Katana is just the longsword with different fluff. You should probably also pick up a shortsword to serve as your wakazashi.

-omitted-

I would actually suggest a short sword as the basis of a Katana and a dagger for a wakizashi. Two reasons for this.

1. They were referred to by Japanese as longswords but the length of the blade that determines that is 30-80cm or 23-31inches by comparison that makes closer to a European short sword than longsword. Where shortswords average about 30-50cm or 23-19 inches and long swords average about 120-125cm or 47-49 inches. So while it over laps with both it completely encompass short swords while only partially over lapping with European longsword. This is just a difference in regional naming standards. Basigly the same thing is true with the wakizahi.

2. Mechanically, Monks treat Shortswords as you want with scaling damage. Add two handed versatile to 1d8 to accommodate the fighting style of samurai and your done.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6880599]ClaytonCross[/MENTION] "I would actually suggest a short sword as the basis of a Katana and a dagger for a wakizashi..."

Doesn't work like this. You could use scimitar for Katana, because it is a cutting weapon mainly. 30 cm is a short wakizashi but never a katana, dunno where you got that from.

Besides the D&D Long sword is not a long sword at all. If used one handed it is rather an arming sword. If it is versatile, it is a bastard sword aka hand and half. The correct term for great sword used two handed only would be longsword.

The arming sword would have blade length around 80cm to 1m and a typical katana has about 80 cm the 1d8 mechanic for 1 handed longsword could be applied.

A Bastard sword has a bit longer blade approx. up to 1m10 to 1m20 but it is still comparable in cutting power.

If you want to differ between the damage of a katana and a wakizashi, you gotta make it 1d4 1d6 or 1d6 1d8 or if you are a fanboi 1d8 and 1d10 for mechanical reasons. But since D&D already failed completely in terms of what should be called a longsword a logic solution is rather impossible.

Oofta

Legend
Besides the D&D Long sword is not a long sword at all. If used one handed it is rather an arming sword. If it is versatile, it is a bastard sword aka hand and half. The correct term for great sword used two handed only would be longsword.

The problem with calling any weapon in D&D any specific historical weapon is that it depends so much on what time frame and region. In general swords heaviest to lightest (and there were variants here, it's not a comprehensive list) were claymore (always two-handed), longsword (slightly smaller two-handed), arming sword (one handed, typical "viking sword"), rapier
(one-handed light weapon).

But there were variants of definition as times changed. The rapier we know now grew out of light arming swords for example. Then there were variants, long-swords became lighter and could be used with one hand or two, often called bastard or hand and a half sword. Some variants that were only used one handed became known as longswords, arming sword or side swords. Long and short just described the variants of swords that were in fashion at the time, no matter how they were used.

So call different weapons what you want, what people actually called them varied on time and region. For game purposes, calling a katana a longsword works just fine. B-)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I just talked my DM into allowing me to have "magic armor" that can cast a spell on me 1/day. (Sanctuary, because I like to pull tricks that require some set-up to work.)
We had to make up some rules so we can adjudicate this; your DM may not want to do likewise, or may not want to yet.

You could make a "Lightning Sword" by imbuing your blade with Witch Bolt.

pemerton

Legend
I asked if I could try to make a custom heirloom or a masters sword that has been passed down to my character. In stead of searching the world for a better Katana which doesn't exist. I would make a custom one that gets stronger as I level up.
I've done a lot of this sort of thing in my 4e game - items that "level up" with the PCs, due to divine blessings or investment of personal power or whatever.

I like the effect it has on the tone of play - it reduces the mercenary orientation and creates more scope for players to orient their PCs towards a wider range of goals.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases