There's A New Edition of Savage Worlds Coming!

Next month Pinnacle Entertainment Group will be launching a brand new edition of their popular game system, Savage Worlds. In a project which was previously codenamed "Savage Worlds Black", the new edition will simply be named "Savage Worlds", and will appear on Kickstarter in October.

Next month Pinnacle Entertainment Group will be launching a brand new edition of their popular game system, Savage Worlds. In a project which was previously codenamed "Savage Worlds Black", the new edition will simply be named "Savage Worlds", and will appear on Kickstarter in October.

SW_LOGO_24bit.png

What is there to know about it at this stage? Shane Hensley (the creator) revealed all over on Peginc's website:

First off, we want you to know that Savage Worlds “Black” is officially just “Savage Worlds.” The “Black” in the title was just a code name and a reference to an original cover concept, which was going to be solid black except for the Savage Worlds logo. We now have a very cool illustrated cover we’re using instead that ties it into all the Savage World Companions.

Second, the Kickstarter is currently planned for Tuesday, October 16th. That might change for a number of reasons—a big competitor launches something in the same time period, a component isn’t quite ready for us to show, personnel issues, etc.—but right now we are on track.

Third, the price will be $39.99 for the 192-page Limited Edition hardback while the softcover will be $29.99. (The price of the PDF has yet to be determined.) There will be other offerings during the Kickstarter as well.

Fourth, rest assured that the game is very compatible with previous editions and settings and we will publish a FREE conversion and update guide.

Finally, some of the changes we’ve already let slip are new Chase rules, tweaks to lots of Edges and Hindrances, Tests and Tricks, some skill, core rules, and Power Modifiers changes first previewed in The Savage World of Flash Gordon, the inclusion of Quick Combat (now called Quick Encounters as it handles more than combat!), and quite a few NEW sections, including new Setting Rules we think you’ll love.

The core book does not include the GM’s “advice” chapter found in previous editions. That will be released separately.

Much of this and more will be previewed leading up to and during the Kickstarter, along with many other great surprises as well.

Thanks for your patience amigos, and we look forward to you all experiencing the next exciting iteration of Savage Worlds!

So, Tuesday October 16th is the date to mark in your diaries. I suspect this'll be a big'un!

rebbeman

Villager
I intend to buy this new edition, and probably be in on the kickstarter. For those who are concerned about cost and compatibility issues I think the announcement dealt with both of those by saying: "rest assured that the game is very compatible with previous editions and settings and we will publish a FREE conversion and update guide" Also since deluxe edition (or maybe even earlier) PEG have published a set of free downloadable test start rules that include pretty much everything a player will need from the base book so shouldn't be an issue with ensuring your players have the rules.

rebbeman

Villager
As for which generic system is better, even generic systems aren't as generic as they claim to be and some do some things better than others. Savage worlds is immensely flexible and I have used it for a wide variety of settings but it doesn't do everything for every setting and it doesn't work as well for some settings at least not without a lot of work. I ran a Warhammer fantasy RP campaign in SW and found that the magic was way overpowered. Also Freeform/flexible magic systems aren't really served by SW. I am currently running a homebrew SW hack of Mage:Awakening which works but it took a lot of work, whereas I am thinking of doing something similar in FATE core and it is looking a lot simpler. Genesys also looks like it might do that well although I'm still not a huge fan of the specialty dice.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Just reading the Savage Worlds rule book whilst on a holiday inspired me to branch out and try new games. I love their style.

I went on to play many games and even used it as my chassis for my own game I developed: Bashed & Borrowed :p

I will definitely be checking this version out. I just like having their books to browse. :) Oh, and I want to play it again too :)

aramis erak

Legend
The price jump is very disappointing. It was nice having a cheaper alternative to D&D and Pathfinder. Oh well.

The price jump still leaves it below D&D and PF dead tree.

D&D PHB, MSRP $49.95. While that's a playable ruleset... it lacks NPC stats for non-monsters.

Pathfinder 2 PLAYTEST MSRP $44.95.

But note also, the $10 EE was still more expensive than the $0 + your printer and paper for the D&D 5 PBR & DMBR.

(dice requirements can be ignored, as both require a set of polys...)

Ratskinner

Adventurer
As for which generic system is better, even generic systems aren't as generic as they claim to be and some do some things better than others.

QFT Each seems to impart a certain feel to the game and serve different kinds of gameplay agendas. Personally, I don't get the hype for SW. I've never seen it sing at table like its online proponents say it does for them. (But then, for what game is that not the case?) I haven't gotten to play Genesys...not sure I need another set of weird dice in my life. Both of those seem to keep the (for me) torturous aspect of lists lists lists in character gen. I tend to go Fate, but that doesn't fly for every group.

Nonetheless, you could certainly run just about any "adventure-y" setting in all three. The only thing that changes is what gets emphasized during play. If you want (very 3e-ish, imo) tactics with spaces and ranges etc., then you better go SW. If you want to skip that and careen through the story focused on the elements that are narratively prominent...go with Fate. A Genesys fan will need to chime in on what it feels like in comparison, I haven't played it yet.

I play and GM a lot of Savage Worlds. I'm going to take a "wait and see" approach with this one. Unless there are some really compelling rule changes that sound useful to me, I would rather spend the money on one of the setting books.

JetstreamGW

Explorer
Eh, the 5E rulebooks are just titled "Player's Handbook," "Monster Manual" and "Dungeon Master's Guide" - same as they have been for the previous 4.5 editions. People seem to be figuring it out OK.

See, the thing is though, that every one of those editions of D&D looks extremely different, and has large rules changes. The exception to that is 3.5 (which was clearly labeled), and the old editions of D&D. And those old editions of D&D are really hard to keep straight if you didn't grow up with them.

Some kind of subtitle or distinction would help very much, cuz the changes between SW editions are subtle.

GlassJaw

Hero
Interesting seeing the comments here versus the PEG forums...

I've been a HUGE fan of SW for a long time, and I certainly understand that companies need revenue, but I was also surprised at the price point, in addition to using Kickstarter to fund it. I certainly admit I'm getting worn out by Kickstarters.

Regardless, I'm also struggling to see the need for another new edition. SW is fairly streamlined to begin with and there hasn't been big changes between the previous editions as it is. Everything has always been compatible. The differences in each edition can be summed up in a page or two, and much of the time, you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

One of the strength's of the system is that it has a fair amount of crunch to dig your teeth into but it's also fast and loose enough so you can handwave and improv things on the fly during play. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around the need for a new $40 edition.

Rod5

Villager
Why invest in ANOTHER version? You make changes and come out with new versions every few years.

• Savage Worlds (2003)
  • Savage Worlds (2004) *
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition (2007)
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe (2011)
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition (2012)
  • Savage Worlds (2018)

I like Savage Worlds. I also enjoyed AD&D 1st edition. Why spend all this money to be told ONCE AGAIN to bend over? Change the stories all you want but stop changing the rules. No more conversions and update guides!

mpathy

First Post
I don't really understand the point. Savage Worlds was already everything that it needed to be. I could understand with a heavier system, that sometimes things just don't work out, so you need to replace inefficient mechanics with better-designed ones.
Is this just a light polish of the existing system, like the change from D&D 3.0 to D&D 3.5?

From my view, besides the unarguable point of monetization would be the following: People who love crunch, love more crunch, once they understood the system. It seems to be some kind of system disease. Crunch people dont get the fun out of the story but to be able to master the system and discover its flaws and use them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads