Where Are All the Dungeon Masters?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

In light of the Labor Day celebrations happening in the U.S., now's a good time to look at the amount of effort tabletop role-playing takes. Is it holding the hobby back from a bigger audience?

[h=3]Why Oh Why Won't They DM?[/h]Dungeons & Dragons and many tabletop role-playing games that debuted after its release have struggled with an inherent part of its structure: one of its participants has a disproportionate share of the game's work. This isn't to say that players can't help, but the structure of the referee role as envision by co-creators Gary Gygax and Dave Arenson created a very different form of play for one "player." What this means is that there are always more players than Dungeon Masters (DMs) and Game Masters (DMs) -- by necessity, the game is built this way -- and as tabletop RPGs grow in popularity, a GM shortage is a real possibility.

The GM challenge stems from a variety of factors, not the least of which being the level of organizational skills necessary to pull off playing not just one character, but several. In Master of the Game, Gygax outlined the seven principal functions of a DM:

These functions are as Moving Force, Creator, Designer, Arbiter, Overseer, Director, and Umpire/Referee/Judge (a single function with various shades of meaning). The secondary functions of the Game Master are Narrator, Interpreter, Force of Nature, Personification of Non-Participant Characters, All Other Personifications, and Supernatural Power.

With a list like that, it's no wonder that potential DMs find the role intimidating! Spencer Crittenden, the DM for HarmonQuest, summarizes why it's so challenging to be a Dungeon Master:

Being a DM, like being a ref, means acknowledging you will make mistakes while still demanding respect for the authority you have over the game. It means taking charge and reducing distractions, it means observing everyone to get a sense of their feelings and levels of engagement, and keeping people engaged and interested. This is not easy, especially for beginners. There's a billion things to keep track of on your side of the DM Screen: maps, monsters, rules, dialogue, etc.

It's a lot, but there's hope.
[h=3]The Best Way to Learn[/h]D&D's style of play was unique: part improvisation, part strategic simulation, with no end game. But the game's popularity has increasingly made the idea of playing D&D less foreign to new players as other forms of gaming have picked up the basic elements of play, from board games to card games to video games. The idea of playing an elf who goes on adventure with her companions is no longer quite so novel.

That familiarity certainly made it easier for the game to be accepted by the general public, but learning to play the game is best experienced first-hand, something not many future DMs have a chance to do. Enter video.

Thanks to the rise of live streaming like Twitch and video channels like YouTube, prospective DMs can watch how the game is actually played. In fact, the sheer volume of video viewers has begun to influence Kickstarters on the topic and even merited mention by the CEO of Hasbro. If the best way to learn is by watching a game, we now have enough instructional videos in spades to satisfy the demand.

And yet, if this thread is any indication, there still aren't enough DMs -- and it's likely there never will be. After all, knowing how to play and having the time, resources, and confidence to do so are two different things, and not everyone wants to put in the effort. That's why there's an International GMs Day, conceived on this very site.

But you don't have to wait until March 4 to say thanks. If you ended up playing a game this weekend, it's worth thanking the people who help make our games possible. To all the GMs and DMs out there, thank you for everything you do!

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

SerHogan

Explorer
DM'ing is a great skill to learn as a kid. It's a lot for a kid of 12 or even a teenager to take on. When I was in 6th grade a friend's dad was our DM and our introduction to the game. But then we had to take over and I, as DM, had to learn how to actually run the game. I still remember having my young brain warped by the full on weirdness of Temple of Elemental Evil and the daunting task of making this all come to life for me and my friends. And this was pre-internet so if I didn't understand a rule I had to figure it out on my own, wing it or open it up to the group. Not such a bad thing for skill building. I'm convinced I became a better student and creative and eventual professional (writer, director in advertising) because of learning and becoming a better DM over the years. Preparing campaigns and adventures is just like doing a school project or paper. Maybe harder. Critical thinking, thinking on your feet, math, reading, vocabulary, map drawing. If only teachers actually knew the kind of things DMs have to do!

aco175

Legend
I too get to DM more than play, but do not mind. It is more getting together and socializing. I did go to TotalCon, near Boston Massachusetts this year and enjoyed playing. There was a ticket problem where more players wanted an afternoon session of 5e and no slots were available. A few players waiting in the hall stepped up and threw a game together which was non-sanctioned, but everyone had fun and the convention staff gave the DMs passes to pass out to the best player at the table fore a freebie just like a real game.

I guess from my experience, it was nice to see people step up and DM. I would think that players would continue to step up and DM if it means not playing, or in my case to try it all those years ago.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I don't see why GMing is still a daunting task, with all the hand-held toys we have available now. Heck, you can just use Roll20 to keep track of initiative, NPC sheets, GM rolls, a battle map (if everyone at the table has it), multiple maps, etc. Throw in a little Fate/Wheaton theory, getting the players to help with the story, and GMing is a breeze!*

I wouldn't call most of the online gaming videos helpful for GMs, though. There's too much going on in a GM's head and behind the screen/curtain for someone to be able to watch a GM online and learn how it's done. The vlogger guys do much more in the way of teaching, and I think they're still in the minority when it comes to gaming videos.

There is an upside to diminishing GMs though, tied to supply and demand. The fewer GMs there are out there is the more likely some of us can live the dream of being professional GMs! Mwa ha ha...

*It's a breeze...cold, lonely, stinging...the kind that makes you want to go hide under the covers :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I wouldn't call most of the online gaming videos helpful for GMs, though. There's too much going on in a GM's head and behind the screen/curtain for someone to be able to watch a GM online and learn how it's done. The vlogger guys do much more in the way of teaching, and I think they're still in the minority when it comes to gaming videos.

I agree. Some, like Critical Role could scare potential DMs away. We can't all be professional voice actors. We all can't make a career out of gaming and will get rusty on rules, occasionally have to take some time to look something up.

I think Matt Coleville's "Running the Game" videos are excellent. He is probably the best YouTube proselytizer for players to give DMing a go.

Chris Perkins also has some excellent videos where he records a game session which he narrates after the fact explaining what he is doing and why he made certain choices.

Godsfall is one of the better-produced game-play podcasts that keep the game mechanics front and center. I hesitate to recommend to potential and new DMs because Aram Vartian is an excellent DM and the podcast is heavily produced. But I like how they keep in rules questions and he'll just make a call. Later, they go back and add a "ding" if he was right per RAW or a "buzz" if he was wrong. I think it is great because it shows that even experienced DMs who put an insane amount of time into prepping their games will have to make calls on the fly and may get them wrong.

ddaley

Explorer
If WotC wanted to make things easier for the casual DM, they would release shorter campaigns... like Lost Mine of Phandelver. I try to DM for my family, but reading these long campaign books is a chore and very time consuming. Improvising in one of these campaigns is difficult unless you know for sure the impact it will have on the later stages of the campaign. LMoP was great and easy to run.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm lucky to be in an area with lots of FLGSs. Even though I mostly DM, I can always at least find an AL game to play in.

What I really miss are one-offs or mini-campaigns that try different systems. Things are crazy busy and my life is in a bit of chaos right now; otherwise, I would love to run two weekly games at my FLGS. One would be D&D 5e, non-AL, one-off sessions with pregens. The other would be non-D&D indie titles and just games I've been meaning to play but have had no time recently, such as InSPECTREs, Index Card RPG, Paranoia, 7th Sea, Dialect, Sign, Grin, Thousand and One Nights, and others.

As for ways to help encourage my GMing, I know that there are some gaming clubs that work on a point system to encourage more people to DM. When you DM you get a number of points that can be used to play in games. If you don't keep DMing you eventually run out of points and can't play. Others allow you to buy points, so if you are not DMing you have to support the club financially. New members tend to have a grace period or begin with a number of points.

Adventure's League gives you XP, etc., for DMing, which you can use to level up characters. It is a lot easier to have a stable of characters in different tiers if you DM. Not sure how much of an incentive it is to DM AL, but it is nice that AL does this.

RDSnav

Explorer
I've been DMing nearly 99% of the time since 1986. A few sporadic games I DMed before that too. My group has tried 3 other DMs but haven't been happy with them so it falls back to me all the time. But to be honest I've DMed so much I can get overly bored with not have action to control. Not that I haven't liked to get behind the other side of the screen for a few weeks to months before going back.

ddaley

Explorer
... As for ways to help encourage my GMing, I know that there are some gaming clubs that work on a point system to encourage more people to DM. When you DM you get a number of points that can be used to play in games. If you don't keep DMing you eventually run out of points and can't play. Others allow you to buy points, so if you are not DMing you have to support the club financially. New members tend to have a grace period or begin with a number of points. ...

Having to learn the rules for AL and then having to buy "points" on top of that doesn't sound very encouraging to me.

pogre

Legend
This past March I did a _VERY_ scientific poll here at ENWorld and asked if there was a shortage of DMs. The majority said no, which surprised me a little.

I fully realize probably most of the folks cruising these forums are at least part time DMs and that skews the results heavily.

Still, overall, people did not sense a heavy demand for DMs.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads