D&D 5E 5E's "Missed Opportunities?"

G

Guest 6801328

And WotC likes this idea (which is nothing less than pure FUD), because they (not so) secretly don't want to do the hard work.

A much more constructive and positive way forward...

Anybody else see the irony here?

G

Guest 6801328

And how many minutes does it take when the group wants to go to the apothecary shop and peruse the list of magical potions, balms, oils and elixirs? Or when one of the martial characters visits the guild of magists to obtain various quotes on numerous types of enchantment on weapons, armour and shields? ...etc

For myself, I'd honestly prefer to have that pre-prepped for consistency purposes, but with no structure provided on what could be found in various settlement sizes in high or low magic campaigns that makes sense with the economy, it does become a little bit of a chore if I have to do all that legwork myself. I could do with less tables for NPC names and more information on magical item availability and the like.

Why is it necessary for this prep tool to be official WotC content?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
But the actual magic item pricing and creation framework doesn't rely primarily on tables, it relies on formulas. And it doesn't need a whole book of its own. (Saying this mostly because otherwise it would appear scarily difficult to use, when that is not the case).

Just out of curiosity, what are the possible components of these formulas? Complexity? Materials? Game Impact? Exoticness?

Sadras

Legend
Why is it necessary for this prep tool to be official WotC content?

I guess because magical items are a little more complex and sensitive within the fantasy world than many of the other tabled-information that has already been provided. Now if you recall earlier you and me discussed the missed opportunities regarding monster design. Now monster design is not an issue for me at all, in a similar way to how @cmad1977 deals with magical items, whereas for you, you want more details/advice behind monster design. So what I'm saying is, whatever reason I give you - it can be argued along the lines of subjectivity.

We all have our areas where we would prefer the designers to concentrate more - whether it be increased modular options, feats, spells, monsters, magical items, encounter design, rests etc.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I guess because magical items are a little more complex and sensitive within the fantasy world than many of the other tabled-information that has already been provided. Now if you recall earlier you and me discussed the missed opportunities regarding monster design. Now monster design is not an issue for me at all, in a similar way to how @cmad1977 deals with magical items, whereas for you, you want more details/advice behind monster design. So what I'm saying is, whatever reason I give you - it can be argued along the lines of subjectivity.

We all have our areas where we would prefer the designers to concentrate more - whether it be increased modular options, feats, spells, monsters, magical items, encounter design, rests etc.

That's fair.

I do think there are a couple of differences, though:

1) Convenience vs. official status. I would have preferred that monster tactics/strategies to be in the MM simply so that it's in one place. Even if they came out with a second official book I would still have to be cross-referencing two books for each monster. But I don't really care if the tactics are official, or whether they are consistent from table to table. In fact, in some ways its better if they are NOT consistent table to table. Since it's not already integrated in the MM, I'd be just as happy with a great 2nd party resource. (That said, I'd buy the MM again if a new version contained such information.)

2) Controversial (or not). I don't think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that there would be any deep-seated objections to more content around monster tactics. I don't think that if WotC presented monster tactics for the DM to use there would be a risk of the underlying philosophy of the game changing. Not in the way that could happen if there is a sense that WotC is "blessing" magic marts.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And I am specifically calling out everything the DMG say as simply uninformed at best and intentionally misleading at worst.

Please stop repeating the company line and telling me what the books say - that doesn't give us any basis for discussion. Form your own opinion.

I'm telling you rarity is just useless, and in no way shape or form an adequate replacement for utility-based pricing.

Worse is if it's used as a smokescreen, to claim the pricing issue is solved, when it really isn't. That is, the worst thing about rarity is when decent people like you believe the hype and think the issue is settled. Then rarity is worse than no system at all - because if there weren't any system at least the basic question of whether we have a functional system would be a clear and resounding "no".

Now. This thread can't be made into yet another one about pricing, so please - I am not dismissing you, but I'd like for you to read up on the arguments, learn about the worst examples of where rarity goes wrong, find out how utility-based pricing is supposed to work... Maybe check out Sane's price list for a quick primer on the issue?

I have my own opinion, it is just different than yours: the rules as provided are sufficiently high definition for my purposes.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thank you for going constructive - it's all too rare.
Y're welcome. :)

I absolutely agree 3E was far from perfect, and made several missteps.

But detractors all simply wash their hands, saying "that proves it's impossible". And WotC likes this idea (which is nothing less than pure FUD), because they (not so) secretly don't want to do the hard work.
In fairness it might not be because they don't want to, or don't see a need for it, but because of another problem - see below...

They much rather continue on the path to destroying the core gold hunt that is D&D - just look at Xanathar and the excrecable "treasure point" system. It's abominable to think this would ever be adopted wider than just the AL.
I haven't looked at Xanathar's yet and am, in the main, rather unlikely to. Can you give me a two-line summary on how the treasure point system works?

A much more constructive and positive way forward is to tackle the design issues right on. You mentioning the shopping menu nature of it all. We all agree that's probably not what was intended, but we also acknowledge that's how it ended up.

This situation demands that the system is complemented by a rule detailing availability, and not merely as a vaguely optional/variant rule either, but as something that's built into the core of the system.
Agreed. However herein lies the problem I mentioned earlier; see below...

And item creation probably needs the "formula" or "ingredient" solution, again as a core non-optional system, where you can't create diddly squat unless you have the items required (thus allowing the DM to veto specific items). I prefer ingredients over formulas, since with a formula, once you've opened the gates to a certain item, it can be manufactured over and over again. For some items, that's fine. For others, not so much. With ingredients, the DM can control not just which items that are possible to make but also how many.
Much more important than any of this, if PC item creation is to be discouraged (which would be my preference) there needs to be a big time factor attached. Potions and scrolls - they can be PC-done, within a few days. Recharging an existing device? Usually ditto.

Anything else? Start with 6-12 months construction time (includes sourcing materials, preparatory enchanting, actual construction or smithing, main enchantment, etc.) and go up from there.

What is absolutely necessary is much more robust DM assistance. What items are appropriate to hand out to your heroes?

If the rules mandates formulas and ingredients, it should also provide default recommendations. Something 3E never did until it was way too late. The devs did learn loads about the way the system worked (as opposed to how it was intended to work). And I'm sure Pathfinder ("version 3.75") have amassed even more knowledge.

So creating a second (third? seventh?) version of d20 item pricing and creation should be entirely possible.

You touch upon more points, but I'll stop here. My point is none of this is easy. Anyone claiming this could be whipped up by just some fan on DMsG is just talking through their ass.
And now we reach the problem I've mentioned above: DMsG - or some other online equivalent - is the only place this can go!

Why's that, you quite legitimately ask? Because the end result, in order to be the least bit elegant and-or functional for the average DM to use, has to be in the form of a purchasable computer program. A program that does the following:

a - has complete lists of all official magic items and easy instructions for custom or homebrew editing (deleting items and-or changing prices) and-or expansion (adding in your own stuff).
b - generates a number of random items (this number is input by the user each time) by weighted randomness - this hits the rarity issue - and their associated costs; this would be used when, say, determining what happens to be available in a given place.
c - has complete write-ups of all official items and properties.

In fact, this is hard. Very hard to calibrate just right. And time-consuming since attention to detail is paramount. The ones that ought do it is the core dev team of WotC.

And even the highest seller on DmsG reaches just a fraction of the audience of the worst-selling official 5E publication. To gain system-wide adoption (while still entirely opt-in), it absolutely must be in an official hardback like Xanathar.
I suppose if each book came with a thumbdrive containing the magic-items program it'd work, but otherwise a hardcover (or any) book just isn't the right medium for this - sad to say.

And WotC, no matter how hard they tried, wouldn't get this bang-on right the first time. However, if it's a computer program that's OK, as computer programs can be updated as and when errors are found and-or problems arise.

=====================
To follow on from a post of yours further down, without quoting it all: I don't at all believe magic item pricing* should be - or in most cases even can be - done by formula. Each item has its own price, which may or may not be "accurate" in terms of utility and-or usefulness in the field; and I'm fine with that. Glaring errors can always be tweaked or fixed on the fly "You got that Ring of Invisibility for only 5000? Man, you got a deal - they're 8000 now!" and maybe someone might get lucky on a buy low-sell high hit - so be it.

* - exception: spell scrolls, where a by-level-of-spell formula is in most cases is all you need, plus material component costs.

And the same is true of a DM inventing a new item: just go ahead and bang a best-guess price on it. Time will tell if you've guessed too low, too high, or about right - and this would be reflective of whoever's first made this item in the game world - their initial price is also likely to be set by educated guess.

Formulae are way too constraining, IMO.

Lanefan

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
2) Controversial (or not). I don't think (but correct me if I'm wrong) that there would be any deep-seated objections to more content around monster tactics. I don't think that if WotC presented monster tactics for the DM to use there would be a risk of the underlying philosophy of the game changing. Not in the way that could happen if there is a sense that WotC is "blessing" magic marts.
Now this is an example of the all-or-nothing problem of extremes that arises every time this topic comes up.

Pricing items and thus by extension allowing for a magic item economy is not - or at least IMO shouldn't be - the equivalent of "blessing magic marts". All it does is reflect this series of extremely likely developments in the game world:

Step 1 - for whatever reason, someone ends up in possession of a magic item he or she has no use for (e.g. a fighter with a spell scroll)
Step 2 - ditto, but someone else (e.g. a wizard with a suit of enchanted plate mail)
Step 3 - these two people meet; each can make use of the other's item so they swap...and one pays the other some sort of consideration to offset a perceived value difference (the plate is seen as more valuable than the scroll)

Now we've got a barter or quasi-barter system. Next:

Step 1 - someone makes a magic item on commission for someone else

This alone sets a price for the item; combining materials, the builder and-or enchanter's time, and possibly some profit

Step 2 - the commissioner never returns to pick up the item, or flat-out changes his-her mind on seeing it
Step 3 - the maker, after doing what diligence she can to ensure the commissioner will not and cannot return (e.g. is dead), puts the item up for sale or auction.

And now the item's on the market as a straight sale.

Once these and other perfectly reasonable things happen enough times within a game world a certain set of values will slowly coalesce around the more commonly-seen items, which will eventually extend to pretty much everything.

Another very nice side effect of magic item price lists is they make possible a more equitable treasury division within a party; for this reason alone (and having seen some rather awful results otherwise) I probably wouldn't even play in a game that didn't have them.

Lan-"yes, not having even the most rudimentary of magic item pricing is very much a 5e missed opportunity"-efan

Oofta

Legend
Just out of curiosity, what are the possible components of these formulas? Complexity? Materials? Game Impact? Exoticness?

Much like "secret recipes" the world over that are mostly marketing gimmicks I don't remember ever seeing any details of how a formula could be derived. Of course I don't follow every thread, and I can barely remember what I had for breakfast so there may be some universally agreed upon consistent formula that I've missed.

In the meantime, as a DM you have a few options. Base it on previous editions (which the designers have admitted was pretty haphazard), use some variation of rarity, or google "d&d sane magic item prices" to get someone else's homebrew version.

Personally I loosely base it on rarity because honestly it works well enough for my needs and it is as good as any other system because I think pretty much all of them are ****. Of course some people will tell you that WOTC is just being lazy because there must be some ultimate pricing scheme if only they cared. Because the prices in the real world are always sane and logical like how a few cents of cloth is worth thousands of dollars because they're collectible beanie babies.

CapnZapp

Legend
Treasure points are far too depressing for me to recount.

Basically it's like milestones but for treasure instead of xp. Abstract and wonky as hell.

And still it allows a la carte item shopping, so it kind of makes absolutely frikkin' zero sense!?! :confused:

(Note: I'm talking about its potential use for D&D in general - in published hard covers and in your home game. I acknowledge the AL has highly specific needs and challenges, and so I'm not talking about the AL's decision to use it)

As far as formulas: for me, a definite aim is for any utility-based item pricing and creation program would and should provide the same guidelines for existing as well as non-existing items.

And by non-existing I obviously mean new items the DM or adventure creates; items not from the "standard" lists.

Bringing in computer assistance is not my thing. I prefer my roleplaying to stay as analog as possible. I also have no difficulty with math, which might explain my acceptance for a 3.x-style system.

But the more general point is: why can't the book detail the manual approach, and then somebody could offer the calculator online? That is, I don't see how "it's difficult" should be an argument for "it must be done on the DMsG".

Especially since reach is critical. I simply cannot see anything short of an official seal of approval and inclusion in a hardcover to reach a critical mass of interested gamers.

I want discussions on this here at ENWorld. Give me even a single example of any 3PP that gets more than a single slow thread around here.

Even "Sane Magic Prices" that came out very early sees zero attention nowadays.

Official 1PP inclusion is the only way, I'm afraid. Anything less, and you might as well just make it for home use, or just play another game.

Zapp

PS. It wouldn't be their first time. With the updates of 3.5, MIC (Magic Item Compendium) you have two major refreshes in 3.x alone. There are probably at least one more I have forgotten about. And then there's, what, ten more years of experience from Paizo in Pathfinder....

... so, nah - saying "since they won't get it right they shouldn't even try" is even more defaitist than usual.

Other counterarguments to things said (not by you L):
- Why ever create anything if they can't make it?
- How can it simultaneously be both so simple so anyone could do it on DmSG and so complex even WotC can't do it right?

All these arguments would be soooooooooooooooooooo much more honest if the person just said "I don't like it and am just making stuff up to oppose it".

Remove ads