Is Ranged really better than Melee?

smbakeresq

Explorer
One thing I've noticed is that if I use the variant encumbrance rules (as I do in dungeon runs), players abandon Dex-based builds and thus ranged attack reliant characters. They seem to value moving normally and carrying supplies/treasure more than how far away they are when they attack in these scenarios.

However mostly encumbrance is the simple rule or hand-waved entirely. This also applies to vision rules over range.

Players will also actually protest if DM uses advanced creatures with Archery Style and Sharpshooter, Stone Giants throwing rocks with both for example.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Yea, the main problem with ranged superiority is that you need an all-ranged party to really take advantage of it, and let's fact it, 99.9% of D&D parties aren't going to optimize to that degree.

As soon as you have 1 party member that wants to be in melee, the ranged plan to kite enemies, use terrain to your advantage, and never engage starts to break down.

I am ranged in my game (of 3 ranged and 2 melee) and that's not true AT ALL. The this is under the mistaken premise that kiting is about moving but all your really trying to do when you kite is keep the enemy out of melee range while you attack without risking damage. There is absolutely nothing about them attacking your melee fighters that prevents you from attacking enemies at range or from higher ground while your melee ally fights up front. The ranged fighter still takes 0 damage and if your worried about focus fire on the melee I would point out that melee enemies could focus on one enemy at a time if your all ranged, all melee, or a mixed group. All fighting my melee ally does is hold enemies still at 80-100ft away while I pick of stragglers or chip away at the enemies my melee ally is fighting. On top of that having all the enemies focus on the melee fighter reduces the number of different allies they need to heal allowing them to heal more efficiently. I have seen this over and over and over again in actual play. Even surrounded I in tight space I generally shift position to place my melee ally as a reachable target and me not, then when enemies on my side close in I misty step to the other side of my melee allies who are ether blocking their path entirely, become their new target, or make them take a longer path around where I can actually kite them depending on the size of area and understand we picked the area to take advantage or ranged when possible.

In no way does having a melee party member break down the advantage of ranged allies UNLESS they stop working with the party and just charge into closed areas where I might need to be in melee range to see enemies... Then I just wait outside for my ally to retreat or enemies to come out after me if they kill my ally who forgot D&D is game about team work and split the party. They quickly learn not to shut the ranged out and block hallways/doors where we have line of sight so we can grant the advantage of support fire.

/shrug.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
In no way does having a melee party member break down the advantage of ranged allies UNLESS they stop working with the party and just charge into closed areas where I might need to be in melee range to see enemies... Then I just wait outside for my ally to retreat or enemies to come out after me if they kill my ally who forgot D&D is game about team work and split the party. They quickly learn not to shut the ranged out and block hallways/doors where we have line of sight so we can grant the advantage of support fire.
I'm not saying that melee makes ranged worse. I'm saying that an all-ranged party has options open to them that a party with one or more melees won't tend to pursue because it would sideline the melee character(s), which isn't polite or fun.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
As a rule if you have range and you ensure you have the distance to use it then you have the defensive advantage and as long as you can kite or keep enemies out of melee range the damage and AC of each doesn't matter because the melee does not get to attack meaning their Average DPR becomes 0. If on the other hand a fighter walks into a 10 x 10 room stands in front of the other door and your a ranged character in the at room... expect a bad day. So I am in no way saying melee doesn't have a place and do its job well. I am just pointing out any battle using a lot of melee "minions" my ranged attacker m is usually not in real danger because they stop to attack what they can actually hit and I continually move around ensuring they can't move to me in one turn and attack. I misty step to elevation without easy access, I keep at 80ft range, and I am able to do this the majority of the time... until a ranged enemy gets involved, then I target them first as my biggest threat. Even in dungeons, that are often "close quarters" you can stack ranged behind allies and still shoot enemy targets where in a 5 or 10ft wide hallway vs 6 melee enemies it results in a blockage waiting for the front enemies to die so the rear enemies to move forward. That alone means as a ranged character, I very rarely miss a turn attacking while our melee tanks is VERY important to me holding distracting enemies or blocking their path to me. Then we get flying enemies and the tank just twiddles his thumbs.

But my point is that you can say my character is does more damage, has more uptime, gets attacked less etc but all that falls apart when you play on a team with at least 1 melee character. At that point the party is much better off if the party doesn't play like you describe your ranged character playing. The melee character will eventually end up dead as he's the only one taking virtually ALL the incoming damage. However, if you have 2-3 melee characters, or ranged characters that don't super kite like you describe, then that becomes much less likely to happen as that damage that gets taken gets split between 2-3 characters instead of just 1.

The real proof of this is that if you have an all melee group your going to get ambushed from a higher cliff, flying enemies, or kitting enemies they just can seem to get to then they will have hard time fighting at all mush less winning.

Just like the real proof that melee is better is comparing them to an all ranged party pincered in a very tight twisty corridor?

A group of entirely ranged can have Draconic Sorcerers AC18 + 5 for shield, Tortle with Bracers of defense for 19 AC, Fighters with Half-plate, defensive fighting style, & Medium Armor Master sporting AC19, Clerics some with plate armor, a shield, and shield of faith for AC22, Monks with Unarmed combat AC20 taking dodge as a bonus action for an "effective AC of 25. So not counting magic items its still very possible to make a descent AC group of ranged attackers

I don't feel like you are even trying to be realistic in what your proposed characters are doing or their ability to meaningfully kite at the ranges they will have to fight at. You cherry picked characters that took every defensive choice possible to try and bolster your point but doing that actually made it ring hollow.

One of my original points remain, that ranged characters (with enough range and/or movement to matter for kiting purposes) either don't get the defense of a melee character or if they do they sacrifice a lot of offense to get to that point. The characters and tactics you chose for them illustrate precisely that.

But more importantly all that still doesn't rebut my main assertion that melee is superior because it allows damage to be easily spread out of different PC's resulting in much fewer team deaths.

In case you are wondering, I am measuring character strength based on how likely your team can overcome combat challenges without death. Of course I'm not advocating for an ALL melee party, just that melee has benefits due to the team aspect of D&D that get overlooked in most analysis.

... sure … that's not how it usually plays out. Usually, you get a melee or two in the group who shield their ranged allies by engaging and invoking the fear of opportunity attacks. Then Ranged focuses on damage not defense making them less divided on using resources between the two where melee know they need some level of defense because they are going to get attacked in melee. So this ranged group who can shoot flying and elevated targets back and who are difficult to kite because usually if you can shoot them … they can shoot you, can work more effectively then melee in a group containing only one or the other. If you were in an all ranged group you would see some taking a more defensive build which might not eliminate the gap but it would defiantly close it to point where its not a big deal.

I don't know that I've ever seen any decently sized group go all melee or all ranged. That's just not the way D&D is played. In the way D&D is played melee is just as good as ranged because while ranged can focus fire and be hit less etc etc, melee spreads attacks on the party out more which helps keep everyone alive.

I mean this is all displayed in the real world were when guns became able to punch through armor, melee became a back up fighting style, and when we gained the ability to fire more than once without reloading it all but vanished with the exception of stealth... then we made silencers, making range preferred all around unless your trying to save precious ammo. If your still not convinced then consider one question... where are our melee plains and tanks? I know its a game but the tactical advantages are still their and to balance that the would have to make melee supper powered compared to ranged and they didn't.

None of this has absolutely anything to do with D&D. A turn based game where you typically take multiple turns to kill enemies after you start attacking them and enemies can travel hundreds of feet before death is not the same kind of thing as real life where you can spray a machine gun and kill a bunch of guys before they travel 5 ft.

FrogReaver

However mostly encumbrance is the simple rule or hand-waved entirely. This also applies to vision rules over range.

Players will also actually protest if DM uses advanced creatures with Archery Style and Sharpshooter, Stone Giants throwing rocks with both for example.

When I first started 5e I wanted everything to be against book enemies etc so I could get a feel for what worked and didn't in the PHB. Now that I'm experienced I'm happy to face whatever is thrown at me. Sometimes players what that to be able to get a feel of the game better. After a while they don't care what monsters and what abilities they have that the DM throws at me. Most importantly, remember session 0!

FrogReaver

I am ranged in my game (of 3 ranged and 2 melee) and that's not true AT ALL. The this is under the mistaken premise that kiting is about moving but all your really trying to do when you kite is keep the enemy out of melee range while you attack without risking damage.

That's what kiting is...

There is absolutely nothing about them attacking your melee fighters that prevents you from attacking enemies at range or from higher ground while your melee ally fights up front. The ranged fighter still takes 0 damage and if your worried about focus fire on the melee I would point out that melee enemies could focus on one enemy at a time if your all ranged, all melee, or a mixed group.

#1 Not having any other character in attack range does tend to focus enemy attacks on the guy in their range.
#2 It's not really true that multiple melee characters allow for easy focus fire. OA's and melee ally positioning tend to keep most melee focus firing from occurring. Also it's much easier for a DM to justify the melee guys attacking both available targets than always focusing on only guy in their reach.

All fighting my melee ally does is hold enemies still at 80-100ft away while I pick of stragglers or chip away at the enemies my melee ally is fighting. On top of that having all the enemies focus on the melee fighter reduces the number of different allies they need to heal allowing them to heal more efficiently.

#1 It's actually hard to do massive in battle heals. For most of the game you get cure wounds and healing word for single target in combat healing. Healing word being the only ranged heal option really doesn't restore that much hp even on a good day. It's easier to keep multiple allies healed up just enough not to drop when the incoming damage is being split between them.

I have seen this over and over and over again in actual play. Even surrounded I in tight space I generally shift position to place my melee ally as a reachable target and me not, then when enemies on my side close in I misty step to the other side of my melee allies who are ether blocking their path entirely, become their new target, or make them take a longer path around where I can actually kite them depending on the size of area and understand we picked the area to take advantage or ranged when possible.

I have seen it time and time again as well. Being the only melee in a party of ranged guys sucks. You take all the damage and they worry more about saving their behind than yours. Don't get me wrong, my ranged sharpshooter wood-elf rogue follows a similar concept to yours and I feel nearly invincible. But that doesn't keep my party members from dying. Having 3-4 attacks directed my way in many of those fights may very well have been the difference in my ally surviving and him dying.

/shrug.

It really does break it down. If your goal is to not have the melee character die and for him to actually be able to play his character in melee as opposed to holding your 20 quivers of arrows then it really does negate nearly all the ranged advantages on the party scale. Individually you are still the same, but party wise your worse off than if you had instead been a melee character as well.

FrogReaver

Anecdotes, data, plural, etc., but last night we were fighting purple worms and my Gloomstalker archer pretty much won the fights while the melee acted like meat shields for him. The +2 from fighting style is huge.

Sure it wasn't them that won the fight by keeping the blame things off you?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
But my point is that you can say my character is does more damage, has more uptime, gets attacked less etc but all that falls apart when you play on a team with at least 1 melee character. At that point the party is much better off if the party doesn't play like you describe your ranged character playing. The melee character will eventually end up dead as he's the only one taking virtually ALL the incoming damage. However, if you have 2-3 melee characters, or ranged characters that don't super kite like you describe, then that becomes much less likely to happen as that damage that gets taken gets split between 2-3 characters instead of just 1.

This is untrue because your assuming all characters have to do be on the cliff or all have to be in the valley but the melee fighting in the valley does not cause ranged fighters from using range from the cliff. The only concern is when the fighter is out of reach... like when the enemy can fly and the melee fighter is useless and the range necessary which is my point. I addressed this in my previous post but we actually do this every chance we get in my current party with 2 melee and 3 ranged. Melee are actually safer because despite the focused fire on melee they also have focused healing and one knew they would be the "tanks" so they focused on defense and protection fighting style protecting damage melee fighter. It works great. Their is not falling apart here AT ALL. I still attack from cliffs, kitting around my allied, and supporting them from ranged rarely taking damage in fights unless targeted by other ranged. Again highlighting the tactical advantage of ranged combat.

Just like the real proof that melee is better is comparing them to an all ranged party pincered in a very tight twisty corridor?

Actually that's not a problem. First, your ranged so you pull back to straightest part you can to allow as many attackers as possible because even a "tight twisty corridor" has spots that are more striate that others. Secondly, ranged fighting melee fighters in a "tight twisty corridor" would have to have a polearm to attack more than the front target where even 20ft section would mean 3 attackers vs the first melee enemy. So put your highest defense in front unless the melee fighter is doing 3 times the damage they are likely to drop fast especially when you consider ranged spell casters with toll the dead that are ignoring the armor for saves.

I don't feel like you are even trying to be realistic in what your proposed characters are doing or their ability to meaningfully kite at the ranges they will have to fight at. You cherry picked characters that took every defensive choice possible to try and bolster your point but doing that actually made it ring hollow.

But when you build a party … you pick those things, so as a completely controllable option why would you not have at least one "ranged tank" to plug doors and hold a line?

One of my original points remain, that ranged characters (with enough range and/or movement to matter for kiting purposes) either don't get the defense of a melee character or if they do they sacrifice a lot of offense to get to that point. The characters and tactics you chose for them illustrate precisely that.

If you have a 5ft wide hallway and a blind turn then second ranged can shoot the same target every time. The second melee can't. Only one of my 5 example sacrificed anything for Defense and that was the fighter.... the other 4 got every thing I listed as part of their base class and are not sacrificing anything from damage. The fighter would likely make the same choice for melee fighter. Defensive fighting style for AC is universal defense ranged or not and taking medium armor master for a dex based two weapon melee fighter is also normal... so if your argument is that archers need to pick things for defense at best that just levels them to melee, but then you only need one or 2 to do that to make a wall in cramped spaces, other wise the other 3 can focus on ranged. No reverse that, I am attacking your 4 melee with my 4 ranged I can pick my target so they just kill the week armor first, or its a narrow 5ft hall and my 4 ranged are attacking your 1 melee in front while the 3 melee in back are waiting their turn to die.....

But more importantly all that still doesn't rebut my main assertion that melee is superior because it allows damage to be easily spread out of different PC's resulting in much fewer team deaths.

Constitution can be low or high on any character regardless of range.... I didn't rebut this argument because its indifferent to ranged or melee to begin with. A fighter with crossbow expert, had 1d10 hit dice per level and can have high AC and High constitution so high HP while having high dex and that is a ranged character... Warlocks can add temporary hit points, rangers can heal themselves... they just done need to and if damage is focused on one ally it also means you can focus healing... there is no point here... It doesn't lean to melee or ranged because its not specific to melee or ranged. A warlock of the old one pact of the blade is a melee fighter but a warlock of the old one pact of the tome might be ranged... they are the same HP, same AC options, the difference is style of fighting. So your not arguing the same classes as melee or ranged your trying to argue a specific melee build is better than another specific ranged build? If not your point is not valid and if you are your splitting hairs way worse than my examples to prove your point. Ether way your still incorrect.

In case you are wondering, I am measuring character strength based on how likely your team can overcome combat challenges without death. Of course I'm not advocating for an ALL melee party, just that melee has benefits due to the team aspect of D&D that get overlooked in most analysis.

I do agree melee gets underrated, but that doesn't mean its not strategically inferior to ranged. It's just that because it is strategically inferior to ranged the people overly and incorrectly disvalue it. We have played many games and generally its not a matter of ranged or melee that result in enemy death so I don't think this is good metric. Most deaths are due to players using tactical error like splitting the group, leaving support behind, bad roles, underestimating enemies, or over estimating themselves. Also, the unexpected arrival of enemy casters and ranged without cover or because they were relying on a heal that counter-spelled.

I don't know that I've ever seen any decently sized group go all melee or all ranged. That's just not the way D&D is played. In the way D&D is played melee is just as good as ranged because while ranged can focus fire and be hit less etc etc, melee spreads attacks on the party out more which helps keep everyone alive.

I don't disagree with your first sentence but melee is not just as good however it is underrated and highly useful. I don't usually see "melee spreads attacks on the party out more which helps keep everyone alive" I usually see at least one tank build in the party who stands in front getting enemies to them then the healer focusing healing on that member. That is the exact opposite and usually its just the one melee and the rest build for damage separating targets and focusing on kills and crowd control just like the ranged in the party.

None of this has absolutely anything to do with D&D. A turn based game where you typically take multiple turns to kill enemies after you start attacking them and enemies can travel hundreds of feet before death is not the same kind of thing as real life where you can spray a machine gun and kill a bunch of guys before they travel 5 ft.

You are correct, but it does have to do with ranged vs melee combat and battle tactics which is a universal truth and I mentioned this and bring it back to D&D in that in order to off set that tactical advantage then D&D would have to deliberately off set ranged attacks do a greater degree than they do. Similarly, superior number and flanking positions that remove the benefit of cover and stealth (because you can't hide from a target unless you are at least partially obscured per the rules) are still relevant tactics from the real world that translate into D&D.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Could someone explain to me how the ranged attacker has better damage, or even comparable damage, to the melee attacker? All the melee dudes in my party right now are rockin' the greatsword or maul with the 2d6 damage, and most have Great Weapon Fighting Style and/or barbarian Frenzy, increasing that damage even further. So I'm confused how ranged damage can even come close. Yes, you could pick up Sharpshooter, but the melee folks can get Heavy Weapon Mastery for the same price. What am I missing?

Remove ads