D&D 5E Shadow touched vs ASI vs resilient on 12th level Fighter/Ranger

ECMO3

Hero
I am playing a Shaddar-Kai Fighter (Zhentilar's Finest)/Ranger (Fey Wanderer). I am wondering when I get to 12th level (Fighter 8/Ranger 4) if I would be better off with Shadow Touched (Wisdom-Cause Fear), +1Dex/+1Wisdom, or Resilient Wisdom.

Her stats at that point (before the ASI) will be S20, D13, C12, I8, W15, CH10. She already has Heavy Armor Master and Lucky Feat. I need to boost Wisdom, both because one of my fighter subclass abilities keys off of it and because I add Wisdom to Charisma skills as a Fey Wanderer and I am the party face (I have proficiency in Deception and Persuasion and expertise in Intimidation).

She is primarily melee oriented, however she got an awesome longbow (+2 and reduces movement of hit enemies by 10 feet) and our party does not have any pure ranged builds (2 melee martials, a Druid and an Artificer), so she actually uses the bow quite frequently even with only a 13 Dex.

I was originally planning on Shadow Touched to get Cause Fear to work with beguiling twist at 15th level. Although she will have other ways to trigger that - menacing attack once a short rest through the superior technique fighting style and instill fear, a fighter subclass ability that lets her frighten an enemy as a bonus action PB times a day.

I find her using a longbow more than I planned so the ASI would help with that.

Note: Constitution is not being considered. With HAM, Absorb Elements, Blessing of the Raven Queen (resistance on all damage), Lucky and Intimidation Tactics (-15 average to enemies next attack PB times a day) she is pretty stout, even with her 12 Con.

Dross

Explorer
From what you have said I don't think any choice would be bad.

For me I feel the +1 to Dex and Wis would be better.
Wis: Improve DC for spells and class features, your saves,
Dex: Improve range attacks, initiative, your saves.

So blend of offensive and defensive, including class ability improvement . And (seemingly) in line with your concept.
Plus filling a gap for the party. (I've done that on occasion)

You mentioned resilient CON but noted you had other protection. To me it's the last one I would pick, more likely I'd choose a different feat.

So Qs to see if ASI is actually better for you. (And why I wouldn't choose them)
1- Does Shadow touch fit you concept so well you're missing something if you don't? (Probably not there are alternatives)
2- Does anyone else want to become the range person and could use the longbow. (Doesn't seem like it)
3- Are you failing a lot of WIS saves and need to sure that up. (Nothing to indicate if that is the case)

ECMO3

Hero
From what you have said I don't think any choice would be bad.

For me I feel the +1 to Dex and Wis would be better.
Wis: Improve DC for spells and class features, your saves,
Dex: Improve range attacks, initiative, your saves.

So blend of offensive and defensive, including class ability improvement . And (seemingly) in line with your concept.
Plus filling a gap for the party. (I've done that on occasion)

You mentioned resilient CON but noted you had other protection. To me it's the last one I would pick, more likely I'd choose a different feat.

So Qs to see if ASI is actually better for you. (And why I wouldn't choose them)
1- Does Shadow touch fit you concept so well you're missing something if you don't? (Probably not there are alternatives)
2- Does anyone else want to become the range person and could use the longbow. (Doesn't seem like it)
3- Are you failing a lot of WIS saves and need to sure that up. (Nothing to indicate if that is the case)

Thanks, for clarification it is Resilient Wisdom I am considering, not Con

She is a Shaddar Kai born and originally from the Shadowfell, so Shadowtouched definitely fits thematically. Cause Fear is also very thematic as that is her thing - being a frightening enemey.

I have not failed a lot of Wisdom saves yet and with Lucky I could probably mitigate that a bit if I was.

Dross

Explorer
Thanks, for clarification it is Resilient Wisdom I am considering, not Con

She is a Shaddar Kai born and originally from the Shadowfell, so Shadowtouched definitely fits thematically. Cause Fear is also very thematic as that is her thing - being a frightening enemey.

I have not failed a lot of Wisdom saves yet and with Lucky I could probably mitigate that a bit if I was.
Wasn't clear was it?
I was agreeing RES:CON was not something to pick.
Q3 was the RES:WIS option.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases