How will your gaming-purchase habits change in 2019?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Do you anticipate your spending habits related to game purchases changing in 2019?

For me, I'm at the point that I already have more D&D content than I have time to consume, especially since I don't want D&D to consume all of my recreational time, or all of my gaming time.

But I also have more non-D&D TTRPGs and more board games than I have time for. I have a backlog of games I have not played yet.

Since I am not a collector, I'm making an effort to curtail purchasing anything that I'm not certain I will use in the near future or which will only see very limited replay.

Where I see myself spending money is on products and service that save me time in prepping or running a game. I think it is more likely that I would spend money re-purchasing adventure content I already own in book form but on Roll20 or another system where someone already did the work and prepping the battlemaps. If RealmWorks actually manages to release its Content Market I would readily purchase any content for systems and adventures I already have.

I would also be interested in:

(1) Mini-sets customized for adventures I'm running. PaperMini is currently going through and creating two-sided printable miniatures for all of Lost Mine of Phandelver. It would be nice if WizKids would sell a set of prepainted miniatures that included all the minis needed to run an adventure--though I suspect it may be too expensive to appeal to most DMs.

(2) Pre-printed battlemaps for published adventures. I'm close to moving away from printed battlemaps and tilesets. Even when doing it myself, the cost is getting to the point where it is more economical to just buy a display I can lay flat on the table. But I'm still a sucker for maps and terrain and even though I have more than I can regularly use, I'm sure I'll buy more.

In short, most of my TTRPG money will likely go to things that aid or improve running the content I've already bought.

I expect to buy a few games that I don't plan to play, because I want to see how the systems work, or because they are things of beauty.

I expect to buy some minis and game props for the games I do run. I will continue to be a sucker for great-looking Lovecraftian pieces.

I expect to buy a hard copy supplement or two for new games like 13th Age, Fate, GUMSHOE and PDFs for older ones like AD&D, Deadlands Classic and Pendragon

I need to replace a few dice that seem to have gone missing

I would like to buy another Numenéra scenario book, but the official ones do not seem to be great and I haven't seen a comparable third-part book like THE BRIDGES WE BURN (yes, this is a solid plug)

Jhaelen

First Post
For me the biggest change this year was starting to back kickstarter campaigns. Basically it means I've already spent my entire 2019 budget for game purchases. We'll see how that's going to work out for me.

delericho

Legend
I've decided not to follow Pathfinder to 2nd Edition, so when the changeover comes I'll be letting my sub to their Adventure Path line expire.

The only other RPG purchases I anticipate in 2019 are one or two D&D hardbacks - if they do another "X's Guide to Y", I'll probably buy that, and if they do a book or books set in Eberron, Dark Sun, or Spelljammer then I'll buy those.

(Actually, I guess I might well pick up some PDFs along the way, depending on whether DM's Guild has any "must haves" or if there are any good sales. I tend to forget to include electronic products in discussions of this sort. :) )

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm thinking my gaming purchases will increase a bit.

What's going to cause that is I've recently returned to playing Warhammer & WH40K. So I've got around 12 books to pick up + about $1k worth of new models spread over about 7 armies/2 genres on the shopping list.... (GW has made some really cool looking stuff since I last played)

Then there's that big arse ship model coming for D&D. I don't know what I'm going to run involving it yet. But I'm sure I'll think of something. :)

jasper

Rotten DM
My buying will go down unless I hit more cons. My current gaming expenses including cons are $2,930.48. Which is over doubled what I spent in total from 6/2016 -12/2017. I have enough minis so only specials or impulse buys on those. I now have all the AL seasons, so only the modules I planning on running will be bought. So that leaves a Hardcover if I planning on running it.

Sadras

Legend
I will likely purchase DoMM, CoS, ToA (+/- 200$ with postage) and pick up two kickstarters I was late on (+/- R150$ with postage), but other than that I have no more plans for purchasing than the odd DM's Guild AP guide.

I've long ago abandoned mini's and tile-sets and I have more than enough material to keep me going for the next 3 years given my tables' frequency. Fortunately for my wallet we have no decent cons where I live.

Of course plans rarely remain unchanged so if a PS, SJ or Nentir Valley adventure/source book comes out I will likely purchase that. That and any MM's types.

I'll probably keep buying the official 5e books, but as I am close to reaching saturation, I might slow down or stop 3rd Party purchases.
But even then, that has more to do with the fact I do reviews than need to products for my game.

The three biggest changes I see for me for 2019:

-Fewer Kickstarters. I’ve always been cautious, but have only gotten moreso of late. At this point, the idea either needs to be awesomely compelling (and the price point just right) or it needs to come from someone with a proven track record.

-No more Lamentation of the Flame Princess. It bums me out, but I can no longer bring myself to support them.

-Buying more miniature supplies. I don’t use them in my games, but when I play, often other DMs do. So, I’ve gotten back into painting them again, sometimes even just for the fun of doing so (as long as there’s no assembly involved – oh, do I hate that part).

D&D will probably be more of the same, continuing to purchase D&D 5e, with a smattering of buying older products for collecting/historical purposes.

Remove ads