Different Recharge Rates

I use 3 milestones --> Extended Rest.

(No, it's not 6 combats. It's 6 *encounters*. Usually 4 combats and 2 "other".)

However, I do also allow an Extended Rest to happen any time there's a major break in the action. Regardless of how recently the last one occurred.

Jhaelen

First Post
When the party's engaged in overland travel, I normally only allow an extended rest when they've reached their destination, or, if it's a very long journey, whenever they stay at an inn/village/town/city for the night.

When they're exploring a dungeon, there's also rarely a chance for an extended rest. However, my dungeons tend to be small affairs, so there typically aren't more than four combat encounters. Also, since I don't track xp and simply award level-ups after story milestones, the pcs are free to avoid (some) combat encounters or (try to) resolve them via negotiation or other non-combat means (usually a skill challenge).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I use 3 milestones --> Extended Rest.

(No, it's not 6 combats. It's 6 *encounters*. Usually 4 combats and 2 "other".)

However, I do also allow an Extended Rest to happen any time there's a major break in the action. Regardless of how recently the last one occurred.

Yup the only edition that can be made to follow the action instead of forcing the action while actually being balanced.

Retreater

Legend
Yup the only edition that can be made to follow the action instead of forcing the action while actually being balanced.
The balance is a key reason for the group's consensus to leave 5e and go to 4e. That, and the robust tactical options in combat.
I designed the setting to fit both 4e and 5e, and I'll be running games for different groups in different editions.

Remove ads