• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhammer Fantasy 4e

Retreater

Legend
I just downloaded and started reading the Starter Set adventure. So far, I'm kinda disappointed with the mechanics. Seems cumbersome with charts and subtraction and comparing degrees of success on every attack roll as an opposed check.
I think they should've followed the example of the new Cthulhu system (also percentage based) and just had the skill of an enemy add to the difficulty of your attack roll.
So far, no improvements over my 2nd edition.
Anyone else trying this system?

pogre

Legend
I'm not as disappointed as you, but I get what you mean. Combat in particular has some fiddly bits I'm not crazy about. I'm collecting the stuff coming out and will take a real run at it this summer.

I’m reading through the core book right now, and it feels in-line with 1e and 2e. But, design theory has changed a whole lot since the 80s, and there are some things I wish they had streamlined a bit more. Some parts make me a bit hesitant about running it with my gaming group. Like, is it worth the learning curve to get a Warhammer Fantasy campaign going?

I also am only a hundred-and-some-odd pages into the book, so there's a lot more ground to cover.

aramis erak

Legend
Is it any different than a W40K RPG transplanted back into fantasy?

Quite.

It retains 2E's basic check and character gen mechanics, but goes with 1E for most of the other mechanics.

It's worth noting that the mechanical lineage goes
WFB 1E → WFRP 1E → WFRP 2E* → DH 1E → other 40K RPGs
(WFRP 1E & WFRP 2E) → Zweihänder
(WFRP 1E & WFRP 2E) → WFRP 4

*noting that WFB 3 & WFB 4 influenced WFRP 2E.

The combat switch in 4E makes misses far less common; damage not being rolled is a simplification. It eliminates most of the "I missed" and replaces it with, "He successfully defended." The changes to psychology and corruption have been made to bring it in line with WFB 8's setting - it's worth noting that the setting changes with each new edition of WFB.

Also, the 40K RPGs all used rolled damage, limited skill levels, and a very different career system.

Remove ads