A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

S'mon

Legend
And, conversely, for anyone who thinks that sounds like a terrible RPG experience (eg me) then I have a good reason to doubt that 5e is the right system for me.

Well they built 5e to be an 'all things to all men' system. They do want it to be useable, or at least driftable, to the style you like. Even with the APs themselves, the one I am running (Princes of the Apocalypse) is not a Paizo "Storyteller" type railroad, it is designed more as a frame which can be run with players adding directly to the fiction. This is traditionally done via the backstory, but the frame allows this to be done in-play as well - certainly at least as much as with the 4e adventures you ran. In my game's case, because I like the Exploration pillar there is not a lot of player-adds-to-fiction (outside of the choices their PC makes) in play, but certainly some of my players have added significantly in out of play discussion, so we have Yartar as a Shou enclave, a burned Kensai monastery, quests for vengeance, abduction of fellow Tiamat cultists (for the dragonborn PCs) etc.

The campaign certainly could be used for direct player fiction-creation as part of play, and would not 'break' the way a Paizo AP would. Or it can be used for a 1990s GM-sets-plot-and-direction approach, or for a 1970s/OSR sandbox, etc. Maybe it does not do any of these quite as well as if it was dedicated to one alone; that's why they call it "Everyone's Second Favourite Edition" I guess. (Personally it's my favourite!) :D

Last edited:

Quick excerpt of Torchbearer play and the cognitive workload and agency within a decision-point for the players. In another post, I'll examine what such a scenario might look like in Dungeon World.

Level 1

Dwarf Adventurer
Elf Ranger
Halfling Burglar

They're at the end of their initial Adventure, a foray into a crystalline cavern network long ago abandoned by its demihuman denizens due to a calamity. Every member of the group has multiple Conditions, they're running low on rations, their skins are empty, and they only have 4 torches left between them.

They dealt with a Cave-in Twist awhile back that cut them off from the known route back to the surface. With severely dwindling resources and growing Conditions, they couldn't afford to spend the Turns trying to dig their way out. So, in hopes of finding a new way out, they struck off in another direction where active air flow worked the flames of their dying torchlight.

They reach a bottomless chasm spanned by an incredibly rickety rope bridge that is in near ruin in the middle and gently swaying in an unseen breeze. The ceiling is too high to see with the minuscule light of their torch and the endless dark below promises swift death.

Another torch goes out. 6 Turns of light left...(3 torches * 2 Turns).

The Grind also hits on this turn (every 4 turns = Condition Clock ticks). Hungry and Thirsty. The last of the rations stave that off...

How to cross?

Time is the enemy.

The stakes are very high for this obstacle.

Conditions are grinding down the team (the Halfling is Afraid so he can't Help, the Elf is Injured so -1D to Nature/Will/Health/ Skills, the Dwarf is Angry and Exhausted so can't use Traits to help and all tests increase by 1).

They have to weigh the potential time it would take to try to (a) find another way around, (b) attempt to repair the bridge, vs (c) the danger of a mad dash across (and the Twist or Condition that would arise from failure...) while still (d) dealing with the unknown of what lies ahead.

A mad dash across would just be 1 turn but would test Dungeoneer or Will (nerves) for all.

Repairing/jury-rigging it would be 2 turns, but the Elf has Survivalist 2 and he can tap his Nature for 4 more (though it will tax his Nature because its out of his descriptor portfolio) with his Persona point he earned earlier for playing against a Belief, can use his 1/Session "Brave" Trait for 7 total. -1 for Injured. Someone has to scramble out there and hold the torch while the Elf does his work. The Angry and Exhausted Dwarf has to be the one (Halfing can't) and he has Dungeoneering, so fair enough. There is another 1, though the Obstacles factor increases by 1 from OB3 to OB4. Needs 4 or better on 4 out of his 7 dice.

They consider the possible Twists they can think of; losing gear, torch snuffing early and being stuck in the pitch black on the rickety bridge, some kind of Indiana Jones conflict with the the bridge snapping with them hung up in the tattered remnants...slamming them against the sheer face on the other side...while the Halfling is stuck back there, some unforeseen predator that haunts the cavern, one of them falls through to certain death but the other can grab him with a successful test...or fall too...

Then there is the prospect of getting across but another crushing Condition accrued for the Dwarf and Elf (putting them closer to death).

Its the best shot they have and they're reaching the proverbial end of the rope (/rimshot).

Numidius

Adventurer
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] that's thrilling! What did they do then?
Real question: how came out the notion of the air-blowing path, in the fiction?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I want to pick up on this.

I agree with the examples you’ve given. Certain mechanics can be ported from one game to another pretty seamlessly. Others would require that the system be modified a bit to allow for the incorporated mechanic. Others require that the mechanic itself be mosifoed in order to fit the system it’s being moved to.

I’d say that 5E D&D is pretty modifiable. I’ve certainly tweaked it to do what I’d like when I’ve DMed, and so has the DM for the game I’m currently playing in.

I wouldn’t say it’s the most modifiable game out there, but it’s certainly more modifiable than many other games. As with most games, I expect how successful a modification may be would depend on the severity of the change to the play experience being made.

@Manbearcat that's thrilling! What did they do then?
Real question: how came out the notion of the air-blowing path, in the fiction?

2nd part 1st.

The player of the Dwarf PC is aware of the trope. Being the resident Dwarf (and not Angry then...the Condition was afflicted upon him not long before this when the Halfling shrieked/dropped a torch/fled due to Afraid, causing it to snuff a Turn early), he possessed the background and mechanical machinery to back up figuring out their problem post Cave-in Twist.

Dungeoneering test + Fate point to reroll a dice failure as the test related to a Wise = success.

This was the biggest cave in the network with a high ceiling so the ground cover wasn't significant. Pressure gradient + chimney effect as surely there were small cracks in that ground cover where surface air circulates.

1st part.

While they weren't right near the surface, they actually weren't too far from a modest cache; a Lantern + 1.33 Flasks of Oil, so 4 more turns, a Soothing Tincture (suppress Injury for up to 3 turns), and a Wineskin.

They (as an adventuring group) perished right there.

The test failed so I went with a Twist. Dwarf fell through a rotted plank. He has an Instinct regarding light so I just said "yes" that he kept the torch rather than dropping it into the chasm as he reached futilely for a hold before he fell. The Elf had a relevant Instinct so free test to catch the Dwarf with the stakes being dead. That failed and the light was gone. Unfortunately, the Dwarf also had the remaining torches...

The Elf and the Halfling each had a Candle remaining apiece. The Elf crawled across to the other side in the dark but earned the Exhausted condition. The terrified Halfling attempted to cross the bridge in the dark, failed, quickly triggering a collapse. Stuck on the other side, the Halfling said farewell to the Elf, and perished in the dark after his candle went out.

The Elf made it to the cache by flickering candlelight and barely made it out of the complex...down two pals...with a pathetic score of only a few Gems and a small silver-inlaid bowl (the Tincture was fully used to survive the last leg)...changed forever.

Numidius

Adventurer
Scary... "The skakes being dead" ...urgh!... Thanks for the detailed explanation [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]
Now I really want to try it again. I see it can be preparatory for Burning Wheel, that is still waiting on the shelf.

Scary... "The skakes being dead" ...urgh!... Thanks for the detailed explanation [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]
Now I really want to try it again. I see it can be preparatory for Burning Wheel, that is still waiting on the shelf.

I've only played Burning Wheel a little. My experience is Mouse Guard and Torchbearer (which are basically the chasis with different themes/premise).

When I get around to transliterating that Torchbearer scenario to what it would have looked like in Dungeon World, the differences in procedure, ethos, and outcomes should be clear and stark.

Hopefully it will shed some light on our conversation here.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
My categories were already taking subjectivity into account. There are 3 types of games.

1) Games that work.
2) Games that don’t work.
3) Games that partially work.

Are you really saying that there are no games of D&D that fall into category 1?

Obviously, where a particular game is would be a subjective thing. You might think a game is working fine, and I may think it’s working okay, and yet another person thinks it’s awful. That’s all fine. But objectively there are those three categories.

Would you agree with that?

What I am saying is that categories 1 and 3 are the same category. Right now, my game is category 1. If [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] were to join my game, it wouldn't work for him and I would go into your category 3, even though I didn't change anything about my game. Subjectivity controls whether games work or partially work. Category 2 involves those games that are Railroad, "Mother May I"(if it exists outside of a white room, and other games that involve bad DMing.

As I’ve said in a couple of posts, we need to try and be aware of context and intent. If you didn’t quite grasp the fact that MMI was not really being used pejoratively in the OP, okay that’s fine....but in the subsequent clarifications and qualifications that have been made, have you realized it?

[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is not the only one using the term in this thread, and it really should have been dropped as a term immediately when people began taking offense at the pejorative.

Second, for some, a system where there is even a possibility that the GM can at any point in time bend the game to his desires is one that some folks don’t enjoy. Even if the DM proves to be principled in his judgment and rulings, that kind of system does not appeal to them.

Sure, I get that. There are other systems or the ability to modify the system, though, so it's all good. If they are in a game with a group that doesn't want to alter the system or change systems, then they should seek other games where they can get what they want. What they should not do is insult the system and/or playstyle that they don't like.

Okay, I’m almost reluctant to bring this one up but hey let’s use this old chestnut....

That's it! you're fired!

Our 3rd level party is attacked by strange creatures, giant green skinned monsters with long noses and wicked claws. They are vicious and what’s worse, their wounds heal before our eyes!!!

Let’s say we’re at a table of veteran players. One rolls his eyes and then declares that his character lights a torch and throws an oil flask at one of the creatures. He says “Tordek’s Uncle Elmo told him about such creatures, they’re vulnerable to flame!” The other players smile and nod.

Here the player is basically saying “I’m not really interested in a random encounter with trolls and in pretending my character doesn’t know about their vulnerability, so I’ve come up with a way around it”.

How the DM responds to this situation is what is in question. Based on your comments in this thread, I thibk you’d consider this solution cheating, and you’d deny it.

So as I said before, I don't stop actions in game. The action would happen and then I would speak to the player outside of the game about metagaming. Most probably, I'd see if there was some in game way for him to have that knowledge so that it's not even an issue. 5e is good like that in that all PCs have all skills, so the PC would have some level of monster lore to roll against. Perhaps his home town was near to a swamp where trolls would be common, and therefore so is the knowledge of trolls, which would get rid of even the need to roll.

Which to me is far worse than metagaming because basically the whole group looked at the encounter and said “not interested” and the DM denied their preferences and proceeded with running things how he wanted. Which is kind of a strong example f the DM being a jerk, in my oponion.

It's not the DM being a jerk. What it is, is the DM and the players not being on the same page as to the style of game. If that many players are at odds with the DM on the style of game being played, they need to go their separate ways and find people who are more compatible.

So the MMI flaw in GM Driven game systems can surface in a variety of ways, and how it’s handled can vary greatly as well.

That wasn't an example of "Mother May I," though. Even if the DM denied the action in game due to metagaming, that's just a ruling about what is allowed and not allowed in game play. Denial does not automatically equal "Mother May I."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You're draing the wrong inference.

What it tells you is I don't like a game where the focus is on learning the pre-established fiction as opposed to changing the fiction.

Deciet by elements in the setting is fine, if it is the output of action resolution.
I'm talking about having deceitful elements as input rather than output; to wit, that the action declarations could be sometimes based on legitimately faulty information obtained or observed by the PCs. Examples:

- the person you've been talking to (and maybe preparing to attack) isn't the evil baron but is someone in disguise; the real baron is the third guard on the left
- the empty room you've just entered isn't empty at all, it just looks that way courtesy of a permanent illusion
- your contact in the thieves' guild (or maybe even one of the PCs!) is a double agent and has been feeding you false info to steer you away from your real objective
- the Mace of Terriann that you think you just picked up from beneath the throne is actually a fake (though it radiates magic); the real Mace still lies in a hidden hole just beneath where the fake one was

Each of these could lead to all sorts of action declarations that would have been different had the input information been true and accurate.

Given that this whole thread is about resolution techniques, why would I back off from discussing them?
You keep trying to make it about resolution techniques. It started as an in-game-realism v real-world-realism discussion and went from there.

Te content of the fiction is largely irrelevant to whether a RPG gives a good or bad experience. Proof: if it was otherwise, then it would make no difference whether the game proceeded in the typical mode of a RPG, or whether it proceeded by the players just sitting there and having the GM tell them a story. Because both things can produce excactly the same fiction. But the first might be fun while the second will almost certainly suck.
In your eyes, perhaps. But flip it around to the other axis: the exact same game/system (whatever it may be) can and likely will produce vastly different fiction from one campaign to the next, and fiction that utterly captivates one group could well leave another bored to tears.

This is all pointless and bizarre. Only a few bits of it are worth respoding to.

Running a race is not a combat. It's a competition.
A competition is a form of combat.

Making sure a starship engine doesn't fail during jump is not exploring anything. It's performing a mechanical task.
Yes, in and of itself. But look at it in even a slightly broader way and ask why it's being done, and the answer will in one form or another boil down to exploration. (remember, exploration includes movement within the world and in Traveller's case 'world' kinda means galaxy)

The only reason you "pillars" don't have a craft/repair element to them is because that's never been a significant focus of D&D play, because D&D is set in a pre-technological world. And the reason you label repairing a vehicle as "downtime" is because, in D&D, magic item crafting is framed as something that happens outside the main focus of dungeoneering play. This is why I described your classification as projection: you've so internalised the dynamics of D&D c 1980 or thereabouts that you seem to find it literally inconceivable that there might be RPGs which don't focus on dungeon-delving or bank robbing as the main part of play.
Again, look just a bit more broadly and ask why the vehicle is being repaired. Is the PC repairing vehicles as a means of filling time and making a few bucks between doing more exciting things? Is the PC repairing it because it's her only hope of getting off this dying planet? Is the PC repairing it because she just accidentally broke it and wants to get it fixed before anyone else notices?

In my Prince Valiant game, we played a scenario in which the PC knights accompanied a crimson bull to a swamp, where it was to be killed by a pagan wise woman. On the way through they had some strange interactions with the bull, and wondered and debated what to do with it. In the end, one of them used his dagger blessed by St Sigobert to dispel a demonic spirit that was possessing the bull; and in doing so, so impressed the wise woman that she agreed to be baptised at the Shrine of St Sigobert.

Nothing was being explored. No maps were drawn by me as GM or by the players - we jointly looked at our map of Britain at the back of the Pendragon hardback to get a general sense of where the PCs were travelling to, and then the journey was simply narrated (You walk for a day through the forest; You arrive at the valley; etc).
Nothing new was being explored but the travel still puts it in the exploration realm.

There were some social elements to the scenario - eg talking to the bull - but that was not all of it. The hurling of the dagger into the mist of the demon as it left the body of the bull was not combat in any genuine sense - there was no fight going on.
No fight, perhaps, but throwing a weapon at a perceived enemy still sounds like combat from here. :)

D&D doesn't exhaust the possible range of fiction, nor the possible range of play techniques, that can figure in RPGing. It adds nothing to our understanding of how RPGing works to try and cram everything into D&D's categories.
Well nothing exhausts the possible range of fiction, so this one's a bit of a red herring. D&D ceratinly does not exhaust the possible range of play techniques. But taking a concept (the pillars) that just happened to come from a D&D edition and applying it universally certainly can and in my case does help understand or clarify how RPGs (can) work; all 5e did was clarify and codify something that's always been there in the background probably without a lot of us realizing it was there.

Had this clarification come from some other source whose words you value more highly we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

This is so backwards it's hard to put into words.

It's a bit like saying that all road transport can be explained in terms of steering wheels, drive shafts and carburetors. And then insisting that a motorcycles handlebars and chain are really a streering wheel and a drive shaft.
Not quite.

Perhaps it's more like saying that self-directed ground-based transportation always has a few key elements to it: a surface that will allow travel (be it roads, rails, trails, whatever); a means of propulsion and acceleration (engine, feet, pedal-chains-gears, or whatever; and this would also include fuel); a means of slowing or stopping movement (brakes, usually, or feet); a means of setting and-or altering direction of travel (steering, feet, etc.); and things related to the comfort and-or safety of the traveller(s).

Everything to do with ground-based travel can be broken down into, and explained as being a part of, one or more of those five elements: surface, propulsion, deceleration, direction, and safety/comfort. (propulsion-deceleration might even be combinable)

And even though I've never owned a motorbike I can still say which basic parts of it fit in which of the above elements; ditto for a locomotive (which I've also never owned, except in HO-scale model form) or my feet (of which I still have two). :)

In my Prince Valiant game, there is no difference between the narration of "downtime" (OK, seasons pass, you hear rumours of Saxon invasion) and the narration of travel (OK, you travel for a few days, and you arrive back at Warwick).
No difference in narration, sure. Difference in pillar, though. :)

In my Burning Wheel game, the action resolution for recovering resources, or recovering health, over an extended period of ingame time is no different from the action resolution for buying a sword or for bluffing a guard or for climbing a fence. There's no notion of "downtime", because there's no notion of the adventure or the dungeon expedition as there is in D&D. There are different things that players might have their PCs do, that take different amounts of ingame time, and are resolved via different ratios of ingame to real-world time.
Right, I get this.

But how the action is being resolved (mechanical) doesn't remove it from why it's being done (pillar of play).

There may not be a notion of between-adventure downtime in BW, and depending how it's run the PCs might never get a chance to sit back and relax for a bit - but that doesn't deny that downtime as a universal aspect* of RPG play, it only says that this particular table has chosen to exclude it.

Same thing as running an RPG without any combat. It can be done, and has been I'm sure, but the doing of such doesn't remove combat as a universal aspect of RPG play.

We've already established that breaking interpersonal conflict out into distinct "combat" and "social" categories means that athletics competitions can't be accounted for;
You've tried to establish this; from here athletic comptitions are a form of combat. They might not use the same mechanics, but the idea of striving to defeat someone else (or several someone elses) is still combative.

in Cortex+ Heroic there is no difference between these things at all, and - for instance - a character can cause another to wilt in shame by besting him/her in swordplay. Similarly, in the example of play for Marvel Heroic RP we see Wolverine using his Adamantium Claws in a dice pool used to inflict Emotional Stress (ie scaring off some enemy NPCs). This sort of thing is omething that D&D doesn't easily allow for. (Hence the recurrent discussions of why it is that bards are more intimidating than barbarians.)
Both of these examples mix elements of combat and social together - the swordplay one in particular uses combat as an action to generate a social result on success. Seems fine from here. :)

As [MENTION=1282]darkbard[/MENTION] said not far upthread, why not start trying to think about other RPGs, and the techniques and approaches they involve, on their own terms rather than through this narrow and distorting lens of 80s-style D&D.
Because the aspects-of-play idea goes way, way beyond just 80's style D&D.

* - if I call them 'aspects' instead of 'pillars' does that help? :)

pemerton

Legend
I can't remember now what happened when I used trolls in my 4e game. I am guessing, though, that the PCs used fire. Several member of my group are very experienced D&D players and would have known that fire is needed.

When they fought a fire-breathing hydra, that creature needed to suffer cold or acid damage after having a head severed to prevent it growing two new heads at the start of its turn. I can't remember how the players learned this, but my guess would be via successful monster knowledge. But possibly it just came to light when the paladin PC did cold damage on his turn.

What created the excitement in this situation wasn't learning what the weakness was, but trying to apply it - it wasn't easy for the paladin to stand toe-to-toe against the hydra, and when the paladin had to go and help his friend fight other creatures, it wasn't easy to successfully apply the required damage types at the required times.

If one thinks about one of the more famous examples of monster vulnerability - Eowyn and Merry killing the Witch-King - the excitemen and drama is not in discovering the Witch-King's weakness. It's in these two standing against him. My own view is that also makes for better RPGing.

Remove ads