D&D 5E Powdered water?

abe ray

Explorer
In a dragon magazine article they had a alchemistical item called “powdered water” basically it’s a powder that when a pinch is put into a waterskin with a drop of water and messaged around produces a gallon of pure drinking water! Now my question is this:how would it work for 5th edition?

Iry

Hero
It would work the same in 5E as it did in any other edition. My guess is that it would cost about 2gp per gallon, with negligible weight.
This is my assumption as well. Increased cost for reduced weight.
Just like buying a donkey!

Oofta

Legend
Get enough of it and it could be quite valuable in a desert; increasing the amount of water a thousandfold (or whatever a drop to a waterskin is) would be incredibly useful.

Or of course, be like my players and attempt to drown someone by feeding them a cookie with the stuff baked in. :hmm:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In a dragon magazine article they had a alchemistical item called “powdered water” basically it’s a powder that when a pinch is put into a waterskin with a drop of water and messaged around produces a gallon of pure drinking water! Now my question is this:how would it work for 5th edition?

There doesn't seem like anything that needs to be converted—just use it as-is.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
This already exists: dust of dryness, DMG p. 166. (SPOILER ALERT: wondrous item, uncommon)

EDIT: It's not exactly the same, because you have to smash the pellet to release the water, rather than reconstituting it with water. But that means you can use it in cool traps and stuff. One time my brother's character got a hold of some dust of dryness and made pellets, which he then affixed to the end of crossbow bolts. Several months later (real-time), after everybody had forgotten about this, he used the bolts to absolutely annihilate some fire elementals, in what would have otherwise been a very difficult encounter.

Last edited:

Remove ads