Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

Hussar

Legend
I think genre fiction can still rise to the literary level. Depending on your measures of what makes something literature, you can probably make a good argument that Conan has had the impact, is lasting, and strikes enough of a chord that it is literature. I think he wrote better than love craft actually in terms of Prose. Been a few years since I read R E Howard though. These things are always debatable. The point is just not all books you like are literature. Most books I have read, particularly genre fiction, are definitely not what I would teen literature

Now there's something we agree on. :D

Now it is my turn to ask how you are defining your terms, because you appear to be doing some heavy equivocation of terms here, especially around what you mean by "literary," keeping in mind how [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] has defined his sense with how you are using it here almost interchangeably with other meanings.

However, it has been my point ever since you misused your terms and repeated the categorical error.

The problem is, while you are having this discussion about using different terms from different media, that's never actually been the point. Who cares if these things appear in cinema or whatever? It doesn't matter. The point is, none of these elements EVER appear in conversation. [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s basic point has been that it's the conversation of an RPG - the back and forth, plain language conversation during the game that drives the action and it's the situations and the content of the conversations that drives the emotional connection.

Thing is, I've just shown that to be pretty much wrong. All the context of an RPG comes from the "not content" side of the equation. That's the side that Pemerton labeled "Literary". As in wordcraft, which, well, includes things like world building and whatnot. Like I said, [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], I couldn't give a fetid dingo's kidney what you want to call it. It's really NOT the point. The point is, that it's NOT THE CONTENT side that drives the emotional connection of the game alone. It's the content IN CONJUNCTION WITH the literary (stuff that's not just content) that drives an RPG.

That the stuff that's Not Content also appears in other media doesn't matter. IOW, I do not care that you can apply these same terms to other media. It doesn't matter because that's never been what I'm talking about with [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]. You've gone off on your own little side thing here, and all you've done is cloud the issue.

Sadras

Legend
Perhaps this will help (probably not), but at least it will provide a baseline of where we each stand.
I might have missed a few steps - feel free to add (except Grocery Lists :p)

a) Literary Endeavour = Conversation
b) Literary Endeavour = LARPing
c) Literary Endeavour = RPG monster stat
d) Literary Endeavour = RPG monster stat + write-up (i.e. not mechanics)
e) Literary Endeavour = World Building (more than just a monster write-up)
f) Literary Endeavour = Module/Adventure/Campaign Storyline (published or otherwise)
g) Literary Endeavour = RPGing (Matt Mercer) style, impromptu dialogue
h) Literary Endeavour = at minimum requires written dialogue (thereby wordcrafting is reflective)
i) Literary Endeavour = Any literature from Conan to Shakespeare
j) Literary Endeavour = Shakespeare

Last edited:

Aldarc

Legend
The problem is, while you are having this discussion about using different terms from different media, that's never actually been the point. Who cares if these things appear in cinema or whatever? It doesn't matter.
The point is and has been that it is inaccurate to refer to 'narrative devices' as a "literary" when discussing TTRPGs as a medium/genre. If you believe and/or demonstrate that TTRPGs are literature, as Maxperson attempted to argue in this thread, then it would be applicable. Even if we summarize pemerton's meaning of "literary" to mean "wordcraft," that does not make your (mis)use of "literary" acceptable because your use of "literary" in this thread also involves equivocating its meaning between pemerton's use, literature, and making categorical mistakes when you are discussing narratology. And that has basically been a part of your discussion of various elements as "literary devices" when you are actually referring to "narrative devices" when discussed in the context of TTRPGs. If context matters, as per what you suggest in your worldbuilding "epiphany," then it would likely be appropriate if you applied an understanding of context when discussing narrative devices in TTRPGs.

The point is, none of these elements EVER appear in conversation. [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s basic point has been that it's the conversation of an RPG - the back and forth, plain language conversation during the game that drives the action and it's the situations and the content of the conversations that drives the emotional connection.

Thing is, I've just shown that to be pretty much wrong. All the context of an RPG comes from the "not content" side of the equation. That's the side that Pemerton labeled "Literary". As in wordcraft, which, well, includes things like world building and whatnot. Like I said, [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], I couldn't give a fetid dingo's kidney what you want to call it. It's really NOT the point. The point is, that it's NOT THE CONTENT side that drives the emotional connection of the game alone. It's the content IN CONJUNCTION WITH the literary (stuff that's not just content) that drives an RPG.
Thing is, I don't think that you have shown [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] to be wrong. In his very first post, he says:
What matters to me is that the players feel the significance of the situations the GM describes - that they feel the pull to action, and the threats of inaction. That is, that the situation engage and motivate the players as players, not as an audience to a performance. And player narration should, in my view, engage with and build on this fiction in ways that display the player's view of the fiction, perhaps challenge other players (and even the GM), that make the other pariticpants go "I didn't see that coming!"
It seems like to me that pemerton believes that player engagement with the fiction/narrative drives the action but that "[he doesn't] think that the literary quality of that narration is important." So does the wordcraft of that particular worldbuilding of the monster in Scarred Lands matter for the action? Or does it matter more that the players understand the stakes of the fiction when presented with that monster? I am inclined to believe that it is the latter, and I don't think that you demonstrated in your epiphany that "the literary quality of that narration" of that monster matters.

That the stuff that's Not Content also appears in other media doesn't matter. IOW, I do not care that you can apply these same terms to other media. It doesn't matter because that's never been what I'm talking about with [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]. You've gone off on your own little side thing here, and all you've done is cloud the issue.
What you perhaps don't realize is that this "little side thing here" had already transpired as part of the thread when you misused the term "literary device" when describing TTRPGs and equivocated on that term. When you speak, for example, in your epiphany that "It's the literary - world building, setting construction, theme, trope" that matters, you are clearly delving outside of pemerton's sense of "literary as wordcraft" and expanding to the "literary as literature." And it is in this latter sense that you misuse "literary" to refer to narrative.

Now, if you don't care what it's called and you concede that you are really speaking of narrative/storytelling devices, then would you mind using your terms correctly for once instead of falling back on misuing the terms and describing this as a "literary device"?

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
It's a label that is used for those functions which differ from those functions that are on the "player" side of things. Those same functional differences exist in Fiasco and Microscope, which is why the players in those games are both player and GM, depending on what function they are performing.

So the term "Gamemaster" is a label we use for functions performed by a specific participant of a game rather than the participant themselves?

By this reasoning, when someone climbs a ladder, they're a Firefighter. Or is it that they're only performing Firefighting functions?

I don't think that's very solid reasoning, nor a good definition for the term, but I realize we're not going to agree, and I don't want to debate semantics with you anymore, so we'll have to just agree to disagree.

Satyrn

First Post
Given our inability, throughout a multitude of threads, to agree on any definitions, causing many a pericombobulation, I hope no one objects if I offer Dr. Samuel Johnson my enthusiastic contrafibularities for his book, A Dictionary of the English Language.

You may now return to your scheduled posting interfrastically.

You say Dictionary, but I think you mean Thesaurus.

Satyrn

First Post
Perhaps this will help (probably not), but at least it will provide a baseline of where we each stand.
I might have missed a few steps - feel free to add (except Grocery Lists :p)

What about a song about a grocery list?

Milk said:
I found your shopping list upon the kitchen table
It read milk, tea and oranges
It read bullets for the pistol
Between the ashtray flowing over
And your lucky No. 7's
DO I take this with a grain of salt
Tequila and a lemon?

You think I'm breaking. Am I breaking? Breaking up inside
Worrying myself sick over what your note implies

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Q: What are the properties of a field?
A: They have cows in them.
Q: What's a cow?
A: Cows are things in fields, particularly things different from other things.
All of which becomes utterly irrelevant without the answer to this one single most important question: are they GM cows or player cows? (and, if both, how do you tell them apart?)

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
All of which becomes utterly irrelevant without the answer to this one single most important question: are they GM cows or player cows? (and, if both, how do you tell them apart?)
Yup, you've cut it to the quick. Still hoping for Max to answer that.

pemerton

Legend
Yeah, narration is always needed, I agree....I'm just kind of sidetracking here....if a game has a mechanic that somehow represents the character is angry, or scared, or confused....does the GM need to try and convey those ideas as strongly through narration? Especially if they're clearly defined terms with mechanical implications, such as the results of failing a save versus dragon fear or being subject to a confusion spell in D&D.
I would put the contrast slightly differently. I think if the game - its mechanics and resoultion, in the context of its fiction - produces the emotion of fear, or anger, or whaever, in the player, then there is less need to try and produce this by way of evocative narration.

For me, this is connected with the idea of inhabitation of the character by the player.

In this particular instance, while you do have the mechanic that enforces it... those mechanics are ones that reduce player agency. The narrative helps the player buy in to that for the moment, by giving them a plausible in-character reason to play along.
I think this depends very heavily on system. I don't think mechanics that relate to PC mental states have to reduce player agency.

Three examples I've got in mind at the moment are the Steel mechanics in Burning Wheel, the emotional and mental stress mechanics in Marvel Heroic RP/Cortex+ Heroic, and the psychic chains power of the Chained Cambion in the 4e MM3.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So the term "Gamemaster" is a label we use for functions performed by a specific participant of a game rather than the participant themselves?

By this reasoning, when someone climbs a ladder, they're a Firefighter. Or is it that they're only performing Firefighting functions?

Wow! A False Equivalence and a Strawman at the same time.

First the False Equivalence. Climbing a ladder is not a firefighter function. Their function is to fight fires. It's in the freaking name, so I don't know how you missed it. Climbing ladders is not specific to the profession. Painters use ladders, house owners use ladders, cleaning people use ladders, and so on. Creating scenes in RPGs, playing NPCs in RPGs and resolving scenes in RPGs are some functions specific to GMs, and at least two of those are present in Fiasco and Microscope.

Now the Strawman. It wasn't my reasoning that you used. I said GMs, participants of the games, are labeled GMs because they engage in GM specific activities, not a label for the functions themselves. You applied an incorrect argument to me and then responded to your own fictional argument.

I don't think that's very solid reasoning, nor a good definition for the term, but I realize we're not going to agree, and I don't want to debate semantics with you anymore, so we'll have to just agree to disagree.

We can agree to disagree, but I was hoping to see if you would succeed in a fallacy hat trick with your next response.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases