What the Hell? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What the Hell?

Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
    I have to travel to Florida in a few weeks. Perhaps I should stock up on iron and silver
    Nah, just bath salts... youll be fine.
    Laugh not-so-newguy, Dethangels Shadow laughed with this post

Quote Originally Posted by SMHWorlds View Post
    Very cool.
    Just in Cania. Otherwise, very hot.
    Laugh Remathilis laughed with this post

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    I remember reading Niven and Pournelle's Inferno (Sci Fi retelling of Dante) when I was much younger; I haven't touched it since then.
    I love that book! Haven't re-read it recently, either, but I recall it having a rather deep theological proposition - that Hell functioned much like Purgatory, that those in Hell had the ability to leave at any time... once they recognized, accepted and repented for their sins. But those in Hell were even more attached to their sins than those in Purgatory. I don't believe in Christianity or Hell, myself, but I thought it offered a pretty decent answer to the question of how a god who is supposedly all-good, all-loving and all-forgiving could send someone to an eternity of punishment and torture. Inferno's answer - he doesn't, people send themselves, and when they are ready to see that, they can leave, even from Hell itself. Again, not personally a believer, but I thought that was pretty deep for a sci-fi/fantasy book.
    XP lowkey13 gave XP for this post

Community Supporter
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Quote Originally Posted by Voadam View Post
    The 1979 1e Monster Manual has a lot of the Dante Devil stuff well before Dragon 75. The Horned Devil Malebrache for instance have individual names straight out of the Inferno and there is the hairy pawed Geryon.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Talien
    One particular creature unique to Dante are the malebranche, demons who torment the souls of Inferno. Malebranche, which means "evil claws," have morphed through several iterations in D&D as Ecohawk explains:

• In the original Monster Manual, the Horned Devil is listed on page 22, and is subtitled "Malebranche".
    • In the Outer Planes Monstrous Compendium (MC8), a creature with similar abilities is now known as a Cornugon.
    • The Cornugon is reprinted in the first Planescape Monstrous Compendium, on page 21.
    • In the 3rd edition Monster Manual, the Cornugon appears on page 52.
    • In the v.3.5 revision of the Monster Manual, the same creature is now listed as "Horned Devil (Cornugon)".

For Fifth Edition, it seems "Horned Devil" is what D&D settled on for the Malebranche.
    Laugh Dire Bare laughed with this post

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

I still blame Ed Greenwood, even if its not his fault, because a) hes a good sport, and b) those Dragon articles were great.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by mosaic View Post
    I love that book! Haven't re-read it recently, either, but I recall it having a rather deep theological proposition - that Hell functioned much like Purgatory, that those in Hell had the ability to leave at any time... once they recognized, accepted and repented for their sins. But those in Hell were even more attached to their sins than those in Purgatory. I don't believe in Christianity or Hell, myself, but I thought it offered a pretty decent answer to the question of how a god who is supposedly all-good, all-loving and all-forgiving could send someone to an eternity of punishment and torture. Inferno's answer - he doesn't, people send themselves, and when they are ready to see that, they can leave, even from Hell itself. Again, not personally a believer, but I thought that was pretty deep for a sci-fi/fantasy book.
    Borrowed from C.S. Lewis.

Who borrowed it from George MacDonald.

Who borrowed it from Emmanuel Swedenborg.

Who borrowed it from... well, probably somebody.

Not a terribly new idea in theology. There are few new ideas in theology.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Do'Urden View Post
    Borrowed from C.S. Lewis
    'A Bus Ride Through Hell' is an excellent story!

I did a 7th grade book report on that one, teacher was nonplussed, what with all the other kids and their 'Boxcar Children', 'James and the Giant Peach', 'Nancy Drew'...etc
    Laugh Azzy laughed with this post

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I was raised my whole life in Christian theology. And the idea that God sends and/or torments people in hell was never taught. It was always people choosing to reject God and go there. And the torment was their separation fromGod and what they chose to do to each other. Basically if you dont want to live in my kingdom feel free to leave. I respect your right to exist outside my rules if you so choose.
    XP Fleetwood C. DeVille, MechaTarrasque gave XP for this post