Let's Talk About THAC0

The following observations are inarguable, as they are the result of maths and/or tables:

1. THAC0 is clearly superior.

2. However, it is only superior to the extent that it is derived from the ur-superior system, tables of attack matrices.

3. Tables > everything else.

4. In addition, armor classes should go down (lower IS better), in the way that God and Gygax intended.

5. -10 is something to be eternally lusted after, is it not? Is there no place in modern Dungeons and Dragons for negative numbers?????? We must no longer cater to the tyranny of the innumerate.

6. Finally, THAC0 is just fun to say. SAY IT! SAY IT NOW!

I rest by case, which is both indisputable, and indubitable.

You're welcome.

I endorse this message

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'd say yeah, that's typically the way it was done. Prior to Thaco, you'd have a matrix on the DM's screen, so, again, you call out your attack number, and the DM consults the matrix to tell you if you hit or not. AFAIK, that's typically the way it was done, so, virtually all the math was dumped on the DM to figure out. .

This is not true. At least as early as 1980, the character sheets had this info on them. See the examples above. So players knew what AC they were hitting from pretty much the beginning, at the very least when the game started to really grow and take off, and 9 years before THAC0 became a thing

Hussar

Legend
This is not true. At least as early as 1980, the character sheets had this info on them. See the examples above. So players knew what AC they were hitting from pretty much the beginning, at the very least when the game started to really grow and take off, and 9 years before THAC0 became a thing

If you used the published character sheets, sure. We never did. We always hand wrote our character sheets. No fancy schmancy TSR sheets for us. :D

I mean, if everyone already had that number, why did the DM's screen have the matrixes? Seems like a total waste of space.

But, hey, you did it your way, I'm just reporting how we did it.

/edit to add

Funnily enough, [MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION], if you look at the AD&D sheet you posted, you'll see that the player didn't actually fill in the numbers for hitting various AC's. :D

HarbingerX

Rob Of The North
Personally once I discovered Target 20 System, I never looked back. http://www.oedgames.com/target20/.

1. Works with descending AC.
2. Doesn't need any tables or lists, just the player's single +X to hit.
3. Keeps monster AC secret.
4. Mentally fast as it uses only addition of small numbers (<10)

It's what THACO should have been. Player rolls, adds their bonuses, then tells DM answer. DM add the monster's AC in their head and if the answer is 20 or higher, the player hits.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If you used the published character sheets, sure. We never did. We always hand wrote our character sheets. No fancy schmancy TSR sheets for us. :D

I mean, if everyone already had that number, why did the DM's screen have the matrixes? Seems like a total waste of space.

But, hey, you did it your way, I'm just reporting how we did it.

/edit to add

Funnily enough, [MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION], if you look at the AD&D sheet you posted, you'll see that the player didn't actually fill in the numbers for hitting various AC's. :D

They also only listed 4 spells and clearly judging by their stats, were playing fast and loose monty haul. Point being, is that from pretty much the start, the players did have that info. They didn't need to ask the DM and the DM didn't need to consult the matrix for every PC attack made.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
BTW, was it really that hard to get into negative AC's in 2e? Full plate and shield was AC 0 and that was generally affordable by about 3rd or 4th level. Add in any magical protection (+1 shield, ring of protection) or even a 14 Dex and you have a negative AC. Drilling your AC down to near -10 was certainly do able in the games we played. By about 7th-10th level generally.

Maybe not, but just try to explain it. I was enough of a math geek that I got it. But try to explain it to someone who's new and deal with questions like: "So... I add up the +1s, +2s etc and then subtract them from my AC but I add the defensive modifier from my Dexterity to my AC? ...Is adding good or is subtracting? This is stupid."
Yeah, that sucked. The armor class system was full of PITA.

billd91

Maybe for your group. For as long as I’ve been discussing games on the internet there have been people who claimed to have genuinely preferred THAC0. Personally, I didn’t start playing until 3.5, my analysis is based purely on my understanding of game design and psychology.

I think a lot of it comes down to the psychology. D&D's ACs and THAC0 were proud nails. They didn't make much intuitive sense - they just were and mastering them was a cultural marker that gamers of a certain type (mainly the ones who mastered it) valued.

billd91

Did you do it differently? I guess I never considered the possibility that the DM might just ask you to roll and tell him the number you got and your THAC0, do the math himself, and tell you if you hit or not. That sounds awful, it’s no wonder it developed such a bad reputation if folks were doing it that way.

I generally subtracted my die roll from my character's THAC0 to get what AC he hit. Other players I knew tried the same with varying results thanks to the conceptual challenges lots of people have dealing with negative numbers. So I don't know exactly where your misunderstanding is coming from... but the main issue here is the DM wasn't telling us what our target was. We were telling him what target we hit.

Remove ads