D&D 4E 4e Clone − help create it!

Yaarel

He Mage
This capability compares to the 4e Come and Get It encounter power.

Here level ‘3’ is roughly comparable to a slot-level 2 spell. A 5e Eldritch Knight would get this at level 7. It is the kind of capability that improves while leveling, because the weapon attack itself inherently improves while leveling. Eventually, my intention is to divide all spells by class level, so Fireball is a class level 5 spell (or higher), then gauge all powers according to these rankings.

‘Barrier’ means to control or deny hostiles movement.

‘Per breather’. This power is not so much a ‘trick’. It simply seeks to piss enemies off. The ‘Intimidation’ category includes taunting, distracting, and confusing. The ‘bust out’ to attack each hostile seems a physical exertion. So a breather reasonably helps before pulling the same stunt again. The effect mainly involves Mind in the sense of manipulating emotions, but could also mention Life in the sense of an explosive physical athletic exertion and Matter in the sense of weapon attacks.

Taunting Strike // Barrier Attack 3
Worldly Mind, Intimidation // action • breather
Target: foes in close
Versus: Charisma
Effect: each foe moves into melee
Attack: weapon
You taunt your foes, goading them to come attack you. When they reach you, you bust out to punish each of them. Each hostile in close range (30 feet) who can see or hear you must make a Charisma defense, or as a reaction move toward you, adjacent in melee range (5 feet), if able. Then you make a weapon attack against each hostile in melee.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Gilgamesh is another example also demi-god who explicitly ran for days without the rest gap presumedly. Hence why I think that martial practice is awesome but could be more so. Imagine being able to rest while physically active in some relativelly straight forward way like running ;)

Yaarel

He Mage
Gilgamesh is another example also demi-god who explicitly ran for days without the rest gap presumedly. Hence why I think that martial practice is awesome but could be more so. Imagine being able to rest while physically active in some relativelly straight forward way like running ;)

I like the idea the Novice tier (levels 0 to 4) being youth and normal people. Hero tier (5 to 12) being noticeably competent people. Master tier (13 to 20) the upper limits of human possibility. Immortal tier (21+) is effectively superhuman.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
5e has nothing like martial practices

These are moreorless nonmagical rituals. Some of them are Athletic skill stunts, requiring a 15-minute rest to perform. I would also include the Medicine skill to slow down ones own heartbeat as a stunt, for example.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
These are moreorless nonmagical rituals. Some of them are Athletic skill stunts, requiring a 15-minute rest to perform. I would also include the Medicine skill to slow down ones own heartbeat as a stunt, for example.

Aside from time there is no cost to 5e rituals rituals you just need to know it. If a wizard gets ritual automagically there should be a martial class getting these too.

No feat cost.

Yaarel

He Mage
Aside from time there is no cost to 5e rituals rituals you just need to know it. If a wizard gets ritual automagically there should be a martial class getting these too.

No feat cost.

5e rituals are noncombat.

I am leaning toward allowing anyone to do these rituals using the Arcana skill. Difficulty depends on level, maybe something like 20 + spell level.

Likewise, anyone could do a nonmagical ritual using Athletics.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
5e rituals are noncombat.

I am leaning toward allowing anyone to do these rituals using the Arcana skill. Difficulty depends on level, maybe something like 20 + spell level.

Likewise, anyone could do a nonmagical ritual using Athletics.

That creates an interesting dynamic.

Most of the martial practices are not combat either if you have to spend 30 seconds on something it could be combat preparatory but mostly noncombat

Technically the 5e Inspirational Leaders could flavor wise very much be a martial practice

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I like the idea the Novice tier (levels 0 to 3) being youth and normal people. Hero tier (4 to 7) being noticeably competent people. Master tier (13 to 20) the upper limits of human possibility. Immortal tier (21+) is effectively superhuman.

The 5e tiers as currently explained is basically each 5 levels. If you look at 16 to 20 in 5e is it that far off? a level 16 mage do they feel less than a minor godling? in 4e terms they can cast as many rituals as they have time for and other perqs.

Yaarel

He Mage
The 5e tiers as currently explained is basically each 5 levels. If you look at 16 to 20 in 5e is it that far off? a level 16 mage do they feel less than a minor godling? in 4e terms they can cast as many rituals as they have time for and other perqs.

In 5e, the tiers are officially 1-4, 5-10, 11-16, 17-20. Level 5 is when the Wizard gets Fireball. Level 17 is when the Wizard gets Wish. But Level 11 is relatively uneventful. Slot 6 spells are less exciting. Level 11 feels arbitrary.

More meaningful to me is the Proficiency bonus, where it quantifies real advancement in capability. So, the real tiers are 0-0, 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16, 17-20, 21+. If you designed an adventure for characters whose levels are within the range of one of these units, it would work well.

I like the way these units can group as Novice 0-4, Hero 5-12, Master 13-20, Immortal 21+.

The Master tier needs more oomph to initiate it at level 13. Among slot 7 Wizard spells, Simulacrum is good, but less tier defining.

But the high Master tier (17-20) has oomph and dabbles in the impossible. It feels ‘legendary’, yet not yet ‘epic’ or ‘Immortal’.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases