D&D 5E House ruling toward simplicity

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm with you on most of these, but two of them, I think, the underlying reason is too compelling:
1. When you cast a spell as a bonus action, you can't cast another spell on the same turn, unless it's a cantrip. I get the reason for this rule, but have yet to see a player who has access to bonus action spells NOT mess up and try to cast a regular spell on the same turn. Let's scrap this rule.
A hard 1 spell/round limit might be simpler. From the start of your turn, to the start of your next turn, you can cast /1/ spell, it might be a bonus action spell, in which case you can make an ordinary attack or other action, a regular action spell, or a spell you cast as your reaction - but once you cast one, no more casting until the start of your next turn.

Blowing through two or three spells a round is a bad idea, anyway. ;)

7. Hide is an action; if you don't take it, everybody still knows where you are. This is another one that makes total sense to me from a game-balance perspective; hiding can be very powerful, and making it use up your action is a great way to balance it.
It helps if a character can't systematically start his turn hidden, attack, and return to hidden status again. That can get a little too frustrating, and a PC that can do that all the time gets old really fast. Even when abilities enable just that - and, lets face it, in genre, some monsters totally pull that - there needs to be ways to counter it... and preferably not ways as complicated as Ready. ;)

Another point of complication (and other issues) with hiding is opposed checks, a lucky roll can set a really high DC that makes looking for the hidden creature virtually impossible. Unless you get that lucky, a large enough group of creatures looking for you is all but guaranteed to find you, since someone is going to roll high (and there are no distracting false positives for correspondingly low rolls, either).

Last edited:

Remove ads