D&D 5E Indomitable and no-save spells

Quartz

Hero
Would you allow Indomitable (the Fighter class feature) to give a save against spells which ordinarily allow no save? Heat Metal is the obvious spell here, of course.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, it only allows you to re-roll a failed save. If no save is allowed there is nothing to re-roll.

It would be a nice boon to fighters (who IMO are lacking) to allow the feature to do this, however.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Not by the RAW no, but I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work as a house rule. As maybe call it reroll saves, or get a save if you don't normally get one (at DMs discretion). Generally speaking I like that a lot, although there may be some specific cases where it's troublesome.

Dausuul

Legend
Would you allow Indomitable (the Fighter class feature) to give a save against spells which ordinarily allow no save? Heat Metal is the obvious spell here, of course.
As a general rule: No.

In the case of heat metal: Maybe. Heat metal is the sort of spell that has become rare in modern D&D: Hyper-specialized, extremely powerful within that specialty, useless outside it. (Hold person is another.) As it happens, any PC wearing metal armor happens to fall within that specialty. I'd be reluctant as DM to use it against the PCs in the first place, but if I did, I would probably stretch my strict interpretation of Indomitable to allow a save.

Stalker0

Legend
RAW it’s an obvious no.

Would I allow it? Probably. Indomitable I think could use a beef up, I don’t think it would overpowered in the slightest

Xeviat

Hero
Indomitable could definitely use a beef up. I'm of the thought that a class's abilities at a level (except first) should be equivalent to a feat. Indomitable only does part of what Lucky does, and it only allows 1/day instead of 3/day. Gaining a save against previously unsaveable things sounds like a nice addition.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Even if that save wasn't all that easy to make it would be cool. There are lots of examples in fantasy fiction where heroes shrug off magic through sheer force of will and whatnot.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases