D&D 5E Re-imagining classic monsters

aarduini

Explorer
What approach do you guys take when creating monsters for your campaign. I like to keep key elements of classical monsters and then twist them around a bit, so they are unique yet recognizable for what they represent. Share some of the monsters you've created with a mythological base.

I'm blogging about my creation here.
https://www.zagoragames.com/blog

Last edited:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
It honestly varies a lot from campaign to campaign. I've really grown bored of the classic D&D monsters, so I try to shake them up a bit.

In a recent campaign, I had a Cult of Moro. Moro was an ancient wizard who came up with some techniques to Chimerize and Hybridize different critters. (Campaign was set in an alternate Mediterranea, and when they say "a wizard did it!" about Owlbears...it was this guy.) The cult had fallen in and out of favor, historically, and was one of the lesser bad-guys in the campaign.

In one of the early adventures, a cultist had made Vulture-Lions, and I reskinned Kenku as Raven-Humans. They were just about to start running into dragon-things, as Tiamat was making a play.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
What approach do you guys take when creating monsters for your campaign. I like to keep key elements of classical monsters and then twist them around a bit, so they are unique yet recognizable for what they represent. Share some of the monsters you've created with a mythological base.

I'm blogging about my creation here.
https://www.zagoragames.com/blog

When creating new monsters, or when re-imagining them?

There is a conflict between your title and the description.

MarkB

Legend
I tend to find an existing monster that's mechanically close to what I'm envisioning, and then tweak it to fit.

So, for instance, in a cold-themed hags' lair, the party were going to be up against some large animated snowmen. I used the stat block for Shambling Mounds, and changed up some damage and resistance types - the snowmen were vulnerable to Fire damage and healed by Cold damage, and their Engulf ability dealt Cold rather than Bludgeoning damage to an engulfed opponent.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Well, I kind of feel you are splitting hairs there. I'm creating a new monster that is a fantasy version of a Gorgon from Greek Myth.

Oh, okay.

When I re-imagine classical monsters, I like to think about why they exist, where they exist, and who they like/dislike.

It kind of just builds from there.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
Did you make the art yourself?
Because the artwork is incredibly, incredibly good.
Almost too good for a project like this.

Anyway, the idea is fine, but why didn't you write up a stat block for it? Or was the stat block there if only I pressed the correct button and I didn't see it?

Xeviat

Hero
In my setting, the world is Earth 50 million years in the future. Magic and the Spirit World exists, whatever, not worrying about explaining them, but I do look at where certain things come from in more detail. Dwarves evolved from badgers. Halflings evolved from spider monkeys. Orcs evolved from boars. Goblinoids evolved from rodents. Humans evolved into Angels (those that embraced cybernetics and lost sexual differentiation and redundant organs) and Devils (those that embraced genetic engineering), which explains why Aasimar and Tieflings are possible. Humans in the setting were a science experiment of the Angels to study their ancestry; giants are related to that experimentation (ogres are half-giants, the elemental giants are from those who were messed with by the elemental gods).

Birds evolved into the Drakes, which is a new Class of animals that includes hipogriffs and griffins, as well as wyverns, dragons, and my Valkyrie race (I've been using modified Aarakocra stats). Somewhere along the way (probably from human muddling), the first drakes evolved to be septapods. Griffins and Hippogriffs are more primitive members of the class, while others grew larger and reverted to being more reptilian. Other six-limbed creatures like basilisks are probably drakes as well.

Werecreatures and my beastial races are related to human genetic engineering as well. Like Moreau's, anthropomorphic animals were created through human genetic engineering. The first generations of these creations were done prenatally, and spawned species that breed true (and are close enough to humans that there are hybrids). Later generations of the experimentation tried using retroviruses to afflict adult subjects with the changes. This spawned lycanthropy. The varieties of beastial races and werecreatures are leopard, wolf, bat, rat, bear, and dolphin.

All the existing Elf races, including the half-elf, are varieties of half-elf. Currently, true "elves" are not allowed as player characters, and I tend to portray them as haughty beings of the spirit world. I'm working on stats for young elves, possibly taking the place of Gnomes in my setting, to be a player race. Adult elves are akin to gods, basically.

Lots of animals haven't survived the 50 million years, especially large mammals. New animals have taken their place, though I'm largely just using the stats of others. Cats, Dogs, and Bears niches have been filled by rodents, mustelids, and other previously smaller mammals. This is mostly cosmetic, and we just call them wolves and such for simplicity at the table. I let my more interested players pitch in for animal ideas, and sometimes we stat new animals because of it (we have a variety of flightless bats, whose wings have become long fingers for climbing and grabbing, who are blind but use echolocation to see and sonic attacks to disorient their prey).

The setting leans heavily into animistic religions. "God" is a term for benevolent spirits that people revere to gain a blessing, while "Demon" is a term for malevolent spirits that people revere to stay (or direct) their destruction. Druids are an older faith that focus on nature spirits, while Clerics are a newer faith and focus more on ancestral spirits. Everything has a spirit, from all creatures, to rocks, rivers, plants, and mountains. The power of a spirit is proportional to the size of it's physical form and its reverence; the spirit of a mountain is automatically more powerful than the spirit of a pebble, but the spirit of the sling stone that slew a giant and is a relic in a church is more powerful than a random pebble from a creek. Not all powerful spirits are sentient, not all weak spirits aren't sentient.

aarduini

Explorer
Did you make the art yourself?
Because the artwork is incredibly, incredibly good.
Almost too good for a project like this.

Anyway, the idea is fine, but why didn't you write up a stat block for it? Or was the stat block there if only I pressed the correct button and I didn't see it?

The artwork is commissioned. The subject of the blog is a monster I created for a mega adventure I'm Kickstarting this Summer. Part 2 of the blog is coming this Thursday where I will display the stat block. Subscribe to the site and check out the Facebook group to get latest updates. I love good art. I'm an artist, but I'm not that good. If you like art, you'll like the book I'm making. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ZagoraGames/.

Remove ads