Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psion

Adventurer
Update: Malhavoc PDFs no longer available at RPGnow.

From the ongoing thread about DriveThruRPG:

http://www.enworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1583464&postcount=10

Malhavoc has ended their relationship with RPGnow to go exclusive with DriveThruRPG. DriveThruRPG distributes digital rights managed PDFs exclusively. If you have considered picking up some Malhavoc PDFs and have been putting it off, now is probably the time. Otherwise, your only option will to be jumping through hoops to use your files on different computers, or even to print them if you use some avenue like a print shop or a university printing service to print your PDFs, and you are even limited in how much you can copy to the clipboard in a given period, for those who might be using PDFs for their house rules or OGL projects.

Update: Malhavoc PDFs are no longer available at RPGnow.

Last edited:

Wombat

First Post
I love Malhavoc material, especially in pdf format

I hate jumping through hoops

I refuse to use PayPal, due to problems I have had with them in the past

Looks like I'll have to wait for print copies

So people should buy Malhavoc PDFs, thereby supporting their move to a format that is going to be very unpopular? Why should people indirectly support Malhavoc for a money grab?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Hmm.

This really sounds like about the worst thing for the PDF market. Can someone explain to me how this makes any sense whatsoever?

marketingman

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
Hmm.

This really sounds like about the worst thing for the PDF market. Can someone explain to me how this makes any sense whatsoever?

Well it seems that MP and WW made a bid to buy out RPGNow were refused so they opened in compatition with DrivethruRPG.com. Actually it is model that alot of comapnies have used for decades ( McDonalds in the early 60's, WOTC with the OGL clearence time to publishing today, Bershire Harthaway)

Now they have the best of all possible worlds print and PDF the growing industry with growing technology.

It is actually a salutee to RPGNow's marketing stratgy that others are trying to get a market share.

Psion

Adventurer
BradfordFerguson said:
So people should buy Malhavoc PDFs, thereby supporting their move to a format that is going to be very unpopular? Why should people indirectly support Malhavoc for a money grab?

The primary reason is so you will have the files you want in a more user friendly format, really.

But if you are that concerned about the format, it seems to me that a rush of people eager to avoid the new format would be a way to let them know DRM is unpopular.

Psion said:
The primary reason is so you will have the files you want in a more user friendly format, really.

But if you are that concerned about the format, it seems to me that a rush of people eager to avoid the new format would be a way to let them know DRM is unpopular.

I see where you're coming from, I just don't wanna give them a parting gift for adding an annoyance to my life. Don't get me wrong, Monte's a good designer/writer and Sue has also played a major part in Malhavoc's success. I'm just not happy about it and I don't want to give them money by supporting their PDFs just as they are taken down.

Out of curiosity, I went to the DriveThruRPG website and it is HORRENDOUS. Nice, "let's entrust our PDF market with a company that can't even run its own website."

-----
Bradford Ferguson
Silven Crossroads

Last edited:

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Hmm... you guys ought to visit the Necromancer Games General Discussion board and see the responses to Necro's decision to go the same route with their PDFs. Full price and you get to use your own paper and ink to print them! Talk about a deal... :\

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads