Under A Darksun Part II New Allies

Anony Mouse

First Post
Hi Megamania!
I just found this storyhour and ive been reading the back issues for 3 days straight! (almost) I LOVE Athas and it is very hard to find decent fan fiction that really captures the flavor i remember from the pentad and tribe of one. Also, with those books it was obvious that they were leading to some big world-changes with avangions and Sorak and the rest (My memory is kinda rusty...) Epic one might saybut of course TSR never suported us that long, it is good to see that you have noticed the intricate plot and have built a reasonable story about a regular hero, that may one day lead to epic proporsions! Hell your even playtesting your story. I just get so sick of fan fiction where the story is told entirely from one characters point of view because the author cant stand beside themself to see the heros flaws. My hat goes of to you! Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!!!!

Donny, aka Anony Mouse

"May the Spirit of the Land guide your steps."

Last edited:

Thankyou.

Yes I do have plans that would reach epic levels. I just need to find time, energy and tweek my brain to pick it up again.
I was trying to point out that the heroes are "everyday" people also complete with their downfalls and weaknesses. I really stressed that with the Nibenay "nobles" and templars story arc.
I'm leading up to some big stuff with the elemental clerics.

Your remarks are getting me thinking about it again.

If you like this one you may enjoy Strikeforce: Morituri. It begins at 18th level and deals with MAJOR stuff. I kinda wanted to answer which campaign worlds are official. TSR/WoTC or the individual DM's. Answer- both. It also involves characters from multiple settings and game systems. Superheroes, pre-Cleansing Wars Darksun, Kalamar and my name sake- Megamania.

If you liked this you may like that one also.

Thankyou again for the compliments.

Anony Mouse

First Post
Hey Megamania,
I see that youve had problems with writers block. For me I go through phases where I write and phases where i draw. i spend weeks doing one until i am sick of it and the quality of the art has become embarrassing. but i force myself to keep at it even if it means scribbling on paper pointlessly. by draining my brains ability to even do a decent drawing i find my writing skills at peak after taking a break from art of both kinds to read a good book (sometimes a book i love and somtimes something new, depending) then i switch over to a different medium. you have to remember that a part of writers block is that you are using a certain part of your brain ("Inspiration") to fuel your creative skills and it needs both time to relax, as well as a variety of outlets. it sounds like you accomplish this by writing different story hours. just remember you must balance your creative outlet with your inspirational input. this may be accomplished simply by reading other SH's. personally i like to get lost in a big book. My favorite author is Michael Moorcock. His Eternal Champion series is very long and diverse, an endless source of inspiration for me. He has a new release called Gloriana which is very different from your average fantasy but i was thoroughly impressed at how enthralling it was! I also enjoy the comic Poison Elves, which is more of a comical fantasy outlet, just silly absurd stories :) Anyhow back to my original point... hrmm what was it..oh yes your writers block: another thing is that it doesnt seem that your getting much feedback. Im surre that that is part of the problem too. Viewers seem to only thank you for updates and demand more updates.. personally, i only read a story if i can fall in love with the characters, and if i love them then im always want to discuss them and whats going on. So if nothing else, when were between updates the viewers should discuss what they think.

Just my opinions, hopefully i can kickstart this storyhour :D No Pressure of course... Your just inpiring me to write an Athasian Story.:p See ya next time!

Last edited:

ragestar

First Post
I read the entire first story...

I read your entire first segment, and I will say I'd *love* to see this continued at some point.

I always loved DS, never got a chance to play it (besides the CRPGS by SSI in the early 90s), and you have a way of bringing the characters to life.

I do plan on it. I just have too many things going on at once. I have the three Story Hours going (would love a fourth) plus life.

Last night, meaning to get a book of random maps I keep I grabbed my Darksun map collection instead.

accident or on purpose .....? It's got me thinking either way...where to after Balic?

UNDER A DARKSUN
SEGMENT 137
“THE PRE-GAME SHOW”

Much has happened since the last the heroes were spoken of.

Mania has continued to train on how to battle other gladiators within the Balic Arena. He has had little happiness during the time. He has been beaten and broken only to be healed over and over. His fellow gladiators both befriend and hate him. He is a good man (for a gladiator that is) but too damned good. He over shadows many of them. He is just too strong, fast, durable and smart for them. Many resent him for it.

Cosa has been taken hostage and tested for becoming a cleric of fire. She passed even though she has no wish or care for cleric abilities- much less fire. She senses there is several hidden agendas within the small group of worshippers she has been exposed to. She suspects treachery and that she is being used by some of them.

Belinda has been on the run. After her last inquiries into Cosa and Mania, she was forced out of the city of Balic. She is returning but is unsure how to go about it.

It was easy enough to sneak back into the city of Balic for Belinda. But to find Cosa and Mania (assuming they are still within the city) is much harder. She decides to try out the taverns near the docks. It is common that the lawless run the wharves and templars avoid it. She goes down and notes there is little activity. She looks up and the allies and into three separate taverns and find they are either closed or without customers. It is the fourth tavern she learns what has happened.

She goes into the “Dry Oasis” and finds two people there. A scaly humanoid with a dwarves hands and body type and a woman that has a badly scarred face. Fire or acid is Belinda’s guess. “Late for the damned games ain’t cha.” Says the ½ dwarf ½ lizard humanoid. “The entire city is watching it. Said to have several new unseen or heard of creatures within it. Also, there are three new rookies with great promise. A lot of money exchanging hands with those three.”

Belinda puts down a piece and she gets grayish water with floating silt in it. The water is chalky and makes her cough as she tries to drink it. She gets right to business- “Who are these new promising heroes of the arena?”

The world seems like it is moving in slow motion. She can hear the laughter and talking of hundreds of people but it is all hazy and jumbled up. Cosa has been heavily drugged.

This is the first time she has ever left the hidden underground place she has been at. Now in great contrast, she is in an open area with many people. She thinks it is an arena but can not tell for sure. The drugs are just so great and over whelming for her. She can not think of any spells and seems to be unable to feel her fingers to caste any sort of spell or cantrip. She feels the air on most of her body. This is when she notes that is nearly naked. Only see through linen cover her breasts and a short flap covers the front of her body. She knows this is wrong but goes with it. The wind and sun feel good.

She then feels a tug on her neck and head. She is on a leash! That’s okay she thinks in her drugged state.

She vaguely makes out the faces and names of people before her. An old woman dressed is fine clothes touches her in a way that makes her heart race. But that’s okay.

She feels the leash tug at her to sit and like a good pet, she does. Before her is a large space that appears to a tiled stadium or arena. That’s okay she sleepily thinks to herself.

“I expect the best from you today. ALL OF YOU!” screams the elven trainer. “Today you fight for glory. Today you fight for your life. Today you will live unlike any other. The people in the stands cheer for you. You whom live!”

Mania is hyped up. He has been prepared for this special day for a few weeks now. He is ready. He will die today. He is ready. He will die in all his glory.

The trumpets blare and the people cheer. The games are about to begin.

Cosa’s senses someone before her. A shadow falls over her.

“Beautiful whore you have there Sirus” says the older man. “Red head. You always did have a thing for redheads.”

“Back off Lord Feddermount. Even drugged, she may bite.” Chuckles Sirus.

“Who do you look to win today’s Grand melee?”

“The ½ Giant is favored but I like the new one Artesies’ has. He has the same spirit this one has- when not drugged of course.”

“Hmmm yes, I see. I hear rumors of that one. I hear he will not kill. I hear he defies his masters.”

“Yes, the fire in him is strong and burns fast.”

“That fast will consume him and others closest to him. Did you know he was captured just a month ago. Rumor has it he traveled with the veiled ones.”

“You hear too much to keep it straight.” Answers Sirus knowing the old man is getting at something. He himself found Cosa about then. She seems of the type to belong to the Alliance. Could the two know of each other? If so, an accident may be due for the new young champion.

The older man leaves them. Sirus watches him go. He never did like him. Maybe an accident could happen to him also.

Remove ads