Guide staff. Wizards can now be blind!!

Ferret

Explorer
Guide staff: This crooked staff holds a misty lamp case at the top that hangs down from a crook at the top. The lamp case it’s self is shattered and holds no oil or candle and either placed inside will ever light. However when held in the hands of a spellcaster it returns the sight of the wielder, but only for the purposes of line of sight. In such cases that normal sight is hampered (or helped), the Staff imitates that. For example if the wielder is in total darkness the staff has no effect, and if the target is invisible it has no effect on that target; however in full light the wielder can target spells normally. The cast can also accurately aim Area attack spells. The staff does not allow the wielder to see invisible foes.

Faint Divination; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, See invisibility, Blind fight; Price 12,000 gp; Cost 6,000 gp

What do you think? The idea started when I read a post about being blinded

Last edited:

aurance

Explorer
Aim spells... that's odd...

Well, how do they know what to aim for, if the staff doesn't give vision per se? Can they only target spells at enemies that were there before sight was taken away? What if the enemies move?

Ferret

Explorer
They can aim like they could before, it's done magicly the person knows where they are when they cast the spells. It basicly gives them line of sight whilst blinded.

Li Shenron

Legend
Does the staff have the same sight as the caster (before he lost it), or does it have blind-sight? I intend only for the purpose of targetting spells.

What I mean is that, the caster is blind so he never has line of sight. The staff overcomes the lack of line of sight, and therefore allows to target spells. If the environment is in total darkness, obviously the caster is blind so he doesn't even know, but can the staff allow to target in this case as well?

IOW, can also a sighted caster use the staff to cast spells in darkness?

What are the limits on the staff ability? If natural darkness is not a problem, what about magical darkness?

Ferret

Explorer
Good points...

I will reword it know so that it basicly says thet is returns the sight for the purposes of targeting creatures with line of sight.

Sigurd

First Post
How bout?

If the wizard is blind or blindfolded the staff grants the holder clear human vision from the perspective of the unlit lamp. The lantern can be pushed around corners or into lit holes to give the Wizard images he may not be able to see.

Certain cursed versions of these staves exist that also enable a distant master to share the vision seen by the staff.

Perhaps any fire in the lantern creates a painful blinding light for the user. Or perhaps certain types of fire grant certain types of vision?

Sigurd

Ferret

Explorer
Hmm. I dislike the idea of an eye on a pole. I wanted it to give the 'old man' or 'unnatural sight' idea some edge. I am going to make an 'advanced' version

Remove ads