Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
"Ah, Nwalkagurtha. I have heard of you." Lorien talks to the sword as he circles it. "I have seen images of you and your brethren in ancient elven manuscripts." He pauses and adresses his companions: "This blade belongs to an ancient set of weapons. All intelligent and wanting to be together. I believe we should take it with us and hand it to it's rightfull owner. But it should be handled with care. I'm not sure it would let me even pick it up and wielding it could prove dangerous to any of us."

Lorien kneels beside the sword and once again speaks to it. "We might be willing to deliver you from this place and in to the hands of someone worthy."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth Heart-of-Oak

Caerth looks sceptical. "The sword is obviously magical, but I don't trust it. Are you sure it's safe for us to bring it along? It does not belong to us. Either way, though, we need to get moving and get into that tower. I have a feeling our goal is within."

The half-orc takes a few steps in the direction of the tower, nocking an arrow to his longbow.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"Ah, Nwalkagurtha. I have heard of you." Lorien talks to the sword as he circles it. "I have seen images of you and your brethren in ancient elven manuscripts." He pauses and adresses his companions: "This blade belongs to an ancient set of weapons. All intelligent and wanting to be together. I believe we should take it with us and hand it to it's rightfull owner. But it should be handled with care. I'm not sure it would let me even pick it up and wielding it could prove dangerous to any of us."

Lorien kneels beside the sword and once again speaks to it. "We might be willing to deliver you from this place and in to the hands of someone worthy."
Lorien senses that the sword tries to detect his inner thoughts. A voice speaks into his mind, 'The guilty must be punished, child of chaos. What are you guilty of? If you are innocent, you may find me someone less, random, once you have brought those that killed the Pendour to justice'.

OOC: Will save (DC 15) for all characters within 60 feet, except for Aureus who already saved vs. this ability.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Phar's normally pale skin fades to almost translucent as he hears the voice in his head. "My crime..." he whispers aloud. His mind travels back decades to a time long past in a place that is no more. "I should have acted. I should have joined the fight. My sin was was not to go to the aid of my brothers in time of need. I had studies, duties, my master bade me focus on my work. I should have gone. Died with my kin. Punished? I have punished myself a thousand thousand times in my heart. My actions today are part of my ongoing atonement for my failure to serve at need." His head hangs in shame as his mind fills with personal recrimination.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Like Phar, Caerth senses the magic sword in his thoughts, his mind, his very personal memories. The half-orc involuntarily puts his hands on his head, trying in vain to keep the blade out. He senses the probing, seeking out the crimes of his past. Bullying animals, scarring trees, yes, but he was only a child back then, and his mentor punished him for it. But, no, don't dig deeper...

In a rush of anger, the now almost mature Caerth lashes out at the stag. For some reason the animal had gotten on the half-orc's nerves and it felt both good and terrible to strike down the offending beast. Blood covered his hands and Caerth reveled in it, smearing it across his face as the stag cried in impotent pain. It had been too long since he had given in to his bloodlust, and in this faraway land, not even his powerful mentor would ever discover what he had done...

In defeat, Caerth bows slightly towards the sword. It had discovered his only true sin and while the blade did not speak of atonement, the druid knew what was expected, no, required of him. He would return to his mentor, confess to the old crime, and be brought before the other druids to accept the punishment they would deem appropriate.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
With a century behind him, Lorien's mind summons a flurry of memories flashing by. The apple orchard he wasn't supposed to sneak into. His first duel, and how he won with dirty tricks. All the minor misdeeds he had carried out and then the big one. He had stood on the hill overlooking the enemy encampment. There was no honor in the massacre, and even if he didn't take part in the killing, it was his flaming arrow that signaled the attack. It was his song along with the barbarian skalds that drove the frenzy. The enemy had been caught unaware and slaughtered. No mercy and no honor. It was a shame on the entire warparty. Not a crime, but a sin that still weighed heavily on Lorien's past.

"You have laid bare my life, sword. I am not worthy of you, but should you desire so, I will avenge your master and take you to his heir."

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aureus waits watching the others. When she Caerth start to inch toward the tower she begins to walk slowly toward in as well watching out for anything out of the ordinary.

OOC: Listen & Spot checks (1d20+14=18, 1d20+14=19)
As she moves towards the tower, Aureus notes the tower's damaged sections, as well as the tall flagstaff at the top of the tower. She cannot make out the features of the corpse attached to the long pole, but it looks humanoid -- a human or elf, most likely. She can smeel in the air that more storm winds are blowing in and a peal of thunder claps out at sea.

Besides the stairs carved out out of the rock that wind around the base of the tower there are a set of stone stairs that leads up to a shut door part way up the tower. Aureus is unable to find any doorways at ground level and the damage to the the tower is too high to allow egress unless she and the others choose to climb. (It would likely be easy for her.) The door at the end of the exterior stairs looks sturdy.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quinn notices that his companions seem to be in some sort of reverie. Then the sword's ability tries to invade his mind. He recoils in disdain and fights the intrusion off with all his strength of will. "My mind belongs to me, blade," he mumbles. The weapon's mental intrusion retreats just in time for Quinn to hear Lorien's promise to the weapon.

"You have laid bare my life, sword. I am not worthy of you, but should you desire so, I will avenge your master and take you to his heir."

Quinn isn't sure if he hears the bard's words out loud or in his mind somehow. Cruel Justice's verbal reply is full of torment. "I will accept your offer, elf. It is true you cannot wield me. If you try, my power would hurt you greatly. It would be a suitable penance for your crimes, but you will need all your strength to face what is ahead, I think.

"The one called Phar. He too would be injured by my sense of order. And to betray one's kin is offensive to me. So it does not matter. The half-orc's past cruelty seems to be, now, tempered by his training but penance must still be performed. The human's mind is completely closed to me, as is the alien female creature. I have never encountered her kind before.

"I will let the one called Caerth Heart-of-Oak carry me without causing him harm. However, he must not wield me unless his penance has been performed. If you all help to avenge the fallen lord, Pendour, I will guide you through what is to come. There are evils beyond simple rook-harpies in Gurnard's Head. Dark creatures devoted to evil forces from beyond this world.

"And if one of you proves to become worthy, more orderly, I will allow him to wield me against evil and chaos. Justice for all!"

Last edited:

Remove ads