Happy Haggert Hurried Hungry Hitch Hiking Hired Henchmen Hivers.... apply within

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
What is an AAA game? Who decides which is or isn't one? When a new game comes out, where does the distinction arrive into which designation the game is felled into?

tumblr_inline_ne72a87oxR1rvz2xd.gif

Carnifex

First Post
...I haven't posted on ENWorld in 9 years, and last time I did was to an old Hive thread.

So, er, hello again!

I wonder how many other old-timers are still around :p

Carnifex

First Post
Well I hope that there's nothing still in there from the last time I was here; it'd have gone a little off by now...

I'm still just trying to familiarise myself with the new-fangled layout and manner of these forums.

What is an AAA game? Who decides which is or isn't one? When a new game comes out, where does the distinction arrive into which designation the game is felled into?

Much like "best-selling book", except without being plastered over every "next coming of Tolkien" that gets churned out on a two-week cycle, it is a matter of observable popularity and quality.

Or in short; *Halo 1 most likely qualifies as an AAA game. **Evochron 1 most likely does not. ***Battlecruiser 3000AD sits somewhere in the middle.

* You will still find people raving over it, and how "everything past Halo 3 or maybe half-way through 4 didn't happen!"
** It was a fairly good space shooter/sim, for something made by one person, and using fairly good programmer graphics.
*** It was quite an amazing game for a new, up-coming company. It was made by one person. It could have used the polish of a team.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well I hope that there's nothing still in there from the last time I was here; it'd have gone a little off by now...

There WAS something hiding in the darker recesses, but we sent in some newbie adventurers after it to hunt it down. Most of them came back. Some of them still get the shakes when someone asks for a cold brewski...

An AAA game (usually pronounced "triple A game") is an informal classification used for video games produced and distributed by a mid-sized or major publisher, typically having higher development and marketing budgets. AAA game development is associated with high economic risk, with high levels of sales required to obtain profitability.

In the mid 2010s the term AAA+ began to be used, describing AAA type games that generated additional revenue over time in a similar fashion to MMOs by using software as a service (SaaS) methods, such as season passes or expansion packs.

The term is analogous to the film industry term "blockbuster".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_(video_game_industry)

'tis once more around that time of year.

p = X out of Y, where 0 < X <= Y
Y = 1, being an analogue of the average universe in a non-finite multiverse.
Z = Y / N, where N = 1 / p
M = ∞, or the number of universes in the multiverse

p = ∞ where Y * M

QED: Santa Clause is real.

Context: The TV is on in the background.

"...if you've got chickens to throw, you've got chickens to sell."

This poster: "Ah, I see it is a perfectly ordinary day in Mayberry."

Remove ads