D&D 5E (OPTIMIZATION) THE NAMELESS KING ! THE WIZARD's NIGHTMARE! LAST BOSS

Carnifex

First Post
Exhaustion with a capital E, as in the condition, is not the problem here. I mean, sure, it *is* an issue because Greater Restoration costs 100gp of spell components a pop. Even if not long resting is the only source of exhaustion XxxUberNecroEdgexxX here has, and for some reason he's only gaining 1 level of Exhaustion from it per day (and there's a strong argument he should be gaining it more frequently, especially after having been awake for a week) he's spending tens of thousands of gp per year just to stay awake. He's probably spending much more if he does anything significant to exert himself.

Given that a situation can inflict one or more levels of Exhaustion in one go, I'd probably, as a DM, start increasing the number inflicted in one go after long enough of no sleep; once it hits 6 levels at a time he just dies. Now, that's obviously something one can argue about if one wants, but it's also a perfectly valid application of the rules and more closely matches actual rest-deprivation effects on individuals who are artificially sustained via stimulants etc. Without a means to prevent him from needing to long rest at all, he *will* eventually die, because his body still needs that rest and the situation will become lethal.

But the tricky bit is exhaustion without a capital e. Normal characters have to make a Con save to go without sleep - note that it's not 'to avoid Exhaustion when going without sleep', but to go without sleep at all. Fail, and a character is going to end up involuntarily long-resting when they fall asleep, keel over or pass out. Now, elves don't need to sleep - but they do need to trance. The logical application of the same circumstances to an elf avoiding getting their full trance via long-resting is Con saves, with a similar outcome. EdgeLord69 *will* fail that Con save at some point, whereupon over he goes.

Oooor he could take Aspect of the Moon and neatly solve both problems.

But, I mean, this is literally a set of character-ending problems at the very first step, before we even look over the rest of the character and see things like you not understanding how the Wood Elf Magic feat works, or that he's attuned to too many magic items, or how you said 'no Unearthed Arcana stuff' and yet the character is himself using a UA feat. (And possibly how you've calculated his saves wrong, but this may be an error on my part; there's +2 to his saves I can't account for but may be missing something).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I actually made a small mistake on sanctuary. It should take twice as many sorcerory points as I listed because it takes 2 sorcery points per level 1 spell. It doesn't change anything else enough to worry about.

FrogReaver

Exhaustion with a capital E, as in the condition, is not the problem here. I mean, sure, it *is* an issue because Greater Restoration costs 100gp of spell components a pop. Even if not long resting is the only source of exhaustion XxxUberNecroEdgexxX here has, and for some reason he's only gaining 1 level of Exhaustion from it per day (and there's a strong argument he should be gaining it more frequently, especially after having been awake for a week) he's spending tens of thousands of gp per year just to stay awake. He's probably spending much more if he does anything significant to exert himself.

Given that a situation can inflict one or more levels of Exhaustion in one go, I'd probably, as a DM, start increasing the number inflicted in one go after long enough of no sleep; once it hits 6 levels at a time he just dies. Now, that's obviously something one can argue about if one wants, but it's also a perfectly valid application of the rules and more closely matches actual rest-deprivation effects on individuals who are artificially sustained via stimulants etc. Without a means to prevent him from needing to long rest at all, he *will* eventually die, because his body still needs that rest and the situation will become lethal.

But the tricky bit is exhaustion without a capital e. Normal characters have to make a Con save to go without sleep - note that it's not 'to avoid Exhaustion when going without sleep', but to go without sleep at all. Fail, and a character is going to end up involuntarily long-resting when they fall asleep, keel over or pass out. Now, elves don't need to sleep - but they do need to trance. The logical application of the same circumstances to an elf avoiding getting their full trance via long-resting is Con saves, with a similar outcome. EdgeLord69 *will* fail that Con save at some point, whereupon over he goes.

But, I mean, this is literally a set of character-ending problems at the very first step, before we even look over the rest of the character and see things like you not understanding how the Wood Elf Magic feat works, or that he's attuned to too many magic items, or how you said 'no Unearthed Arcana stuff' and yet the character is himself using a UA feat. (And possibly how you've calculated his saves wrong, but this may be an error on my part; there's +2 to his saves I can't account for but may be missing something).

The villain is a DM controlled character. The DM will rule favorably relating to anything obstructing his villain from working as he planned. While I agree with you if this was a player character, it is not and the DM will just make alternate rulings unless someone can give 100% RAW evidence that it does work as you are saying.

mgshamster

First Post
Let's not call people names, please. If you're not interested in the thread, it's easy enough to move on. As far as I can see it's perfectly harmless, albeit not in the Optimization forum, which is where it's being whisked off to as we speak.

I thought the same thing at first. So did many others.

By the fifth page, it was pretty obvious he was trolling. Refused to answer questions honestly, kept changing the rules to counter proposed solutions, refused to read up on any rules in the books, made up his own rules, kept leading people on, insulting them for "not reading the rulebook" when he clearly didn't do so himself, and much more.

It got so bad, that the mods on GitP deleted the entire thread.

So it may he harmless at first, but he made three accounts in so many days, all of which were banned, and an entire thread deleted because the trolling was so bad.

And now he's doing the exact same thing here. In fact, he's made three separate threads on it to pull as many people as he can in.

It always seems innocent at first.

On a side note, did you see how he responded to me when I called him out? He called me crazy and on drugs. You know who does that? Guilty people caught in a lie. It's such a common phenomenon that it's almost 100% guaranteed to happen in spousal cheating cases. You call out someone cheating on their spouse and it's practically guaranteed that they'll call the accuser crazy. Just like he called me crazy for calling him out on his trolling. No defense of himself, no proclamations of innocence, no counter arguments - just, "You're on drugs or mentally ill."

But if you think it's safe, then I won't comment anymore. I've given my fair warning to everyone involved.

Last edited:

Carnifex

First Post
The villain is a DM controlled character. The DM will rule favorably relating to anything obstructing his villain from working as he planned. While I agree with you if this was a player character, it is not and the DM will just make alternate rulings unless someone can give 100% RAW evidence that it does work as you are saying.

I'm not 100% convinced this is a DM controlled character in a real campaign, as opposed to someone coming up with what they think is an unbeatable build and want to crow over it on a forum (the backstory is awful and the situation makes no sense) but yes, you're right - DM judgment can waive large amounts of what *should* be common-sense limitations on something like this, even despite 5e's 'rulings not rules' schtick. He's still spending a fortune on Greater Restorations even at basic applications of Exhaustion, even if we do assume that the world magically folds itself around him like a favoured child and somehow prevents him from suffering anything else for Reasons (tm).

Even if we are assuming that this character evades the rulings that would strike it down in 99% of games, though, your points re metamagic spell point costs are an outright crippling blow to his functionality, the other points I indicated at the end are also still true, and there's a slew of OTHER issues I hadn't even gotten on to but which add up quite extensively.

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned
The following is the sorcerory point cost of maintining the following villain buffs:

sanctuary - 1440 sorcerory points per 24 hours
darkness/invisibility - 24 sorcerory points per 24 hours
deathward - 18 sorceroy points per 24 hours
mirror image - 4320 per 24 hours
see invisibility - 24 sorcerory points per 24 hours
contingency(revivify) - I'll touch on this one later

That means it takes 5826 sorcerory points per 24hr day to keep up all his buffs all the time. He only has 2 short rest slots that are both at 2nd level. Each hour he can create 4 sorcerory points if he short rests.

He would need 1,456.5 hours of rest to give him one day full of buffs. That equates to 60.6875 Days of rest.

For every year of rest the villain could have right at 6 full days of being fully buffed. It would require 5 years of straight rest to maintain a month of buffs. It would take 60 years of straight rest to maintain 1 years worth of buffs.

This isn't counting any time the villain uses his spells/sorcerory points for anything else. Anytime he uses subtle spell. Any time he uses any spell at all. Any time he spends spell slots on animate dead. (Depending on how many undead he wants this could be a big expense).

The point is if this villain ever long rests they lose all their prestocked sorcerory points and it will take them years to be prepared to venture out again.

The second thing of note is that Simulcarum cannot ever regain expended spell slots. It's right there in the spell description. It's also a 7th level spell. The villain cannot recharge 6-9th level spells without a long rest and if he long rests he will lose all pre-accumulated sorcerory points. Thus taking him years to prepare them again. This makes the simulcarum of limited use to the villain.

Basically half the villains tricks don't work right out the gate because of this. You no longer can keep Pass Without Trace and Invisibility/Darkness up at the same time indefinitely. (Simulcarum will run out of spell slots and can't replenish them).

Also you cannot keep up contingency since it only lasts 10 days and you will not recharge long rest slots and can't recharge level 6+ spells any other way. You cannot keep casting new simulcarums for the same reason.

I'd say your villain is broke beyond repair and you need to go back to the drawing board to figure out what buffs and tricks he can actually keep up indefinitely.

Only one has one consideration:
The Nameless King hardly ever goes into combat. Order your Undeads to complete the missions. He keeps on stealth and long distance, approaching with first with his Simulacrum and moving illusions.
With +26 Stealth and Advantage, it does not need to spend spell slots uselessly. Only when He starts an attack or a defense tatic.

So for 24 hours of active buff is really expensive, but I'm sure this isn't necessary.
How much time does he need to defeat an opponent? 2 rounds? 1 round Undeads and Simulacrum are enough for 99% of the cases.

Simulacrum has a lot of spells, when It runs without spells avaiable, just wish: Simulacrum again.
Anyway, I understood your point. Thanks.

Last edited:

Hygor Haas

Banned
Banned

Well, uses of Greater Restauration is 100% RAW, if you want to use House Rules just do it.
If any DM creates an Alternative Rule for this, just take Aspect of The Moon. It will reduce power a little, but it's still super powerful. Detail: DM can create any kind of Alternative Rule, so your point is just a personal opinion. Right?

Also, Wood Elf Magic Feat is from Xanathar's Guide (Official Source), It isn't Unearted Arcana. Why do not you ask me before you say anything? My friend?
Also, The Nameless King has 3 attuned magical itens.

The build may counter small errors of calculation yes. Help me correct them and not just criticize. Right?

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Only one has one consideration:
The Nameless King hardly ever goes into combat. Order your Undeads to complete the missions. He keeps on stealth and long distance, approaching with first with his Simulacrum and moving illusions.
With +26 Stealth and Advantage, it does not need to spend spell slots uselessly. Only when He starts an attack or a defense tatic.

So for 24 hours of active buff is really expensive, but I'm sure this isn't necessary.
How much time does he need to defeat an opponent? 2 rounds? 1 round Undeads and Simulacrum are enough for 99% of the cases.

Simulacrum has a lot of spells, when It runs without spells avaiable, just wish: Simulacrum again.
Anyway, I understood your point. Thanks.

Then your OP was a lie. You said he always had those spells on. You can't have it both ways.

FrogReaver

Fair Enough, I mentioned it wrong. It would be fair to say that "during combat he would have all the active spells."

Isn't that assuming he gets the drop on the PC's absolutely every time and can cast those spells before combat starts or at least before the PC's get near him?

Are those actually reasonable expectations?

Remove ads