D&D 5E Is there a type of riding / mount proficiency in 5e?

Kor

First Post
When I googled this, I have seen a lot of discussion about this on other forums but not here.

While there is no specific proficiency mentioned, Animal Handling does describe that it includes controlling your mount in a risky maneuver. This to me would imply that Animal Handling is the replacement for 3.5 editions' Riding skill.

There are vehicle proficiencies, however I do not believe that a mount was intended to be a vehicle. I have seen some other forum posts where people have suggested that a mount may be a vehicle, and I have also seen other posts reference "mount proficiency (land)". I know that ultimately it is up to a GM to decide the rules for the games they run, but I wish to run the game as close as possible to the intended rules.

It appears to me that the rules intended for Animal Handling to cover all checks associated with riding -- but I just want to confirm that there have been any official responses (or obscure rules which I can't find) that would contradict this?

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
You are correct. There is no "mount proficiency". Animal Handling is there in case any questions while riding a mount come up.

BoldItalic

First Post
Animal handling is a skill proficiency whilst Vehicles(Land) is a tools proficiency. If you are driving an ox-cart through tricky terrain and need to make a check, you could use either to get a proficiency bonus to the check (but not both of course, you can only get a bonus once on a given check).

The distinction between skills and tools arises because there is a closed list of skills whilst new tools can be introduced ad hoc to suit the campaign; and because additional tools proficiencies can be trained during downtime whilst skills can only be acquired from race, background or class features.

Kor

First Post
...and because additional tools proficiencies can be trained during downtime whilst skills can only be acquired from race, background or class features.

I wasn't aware that you could do this with tools and I can't find the rule where this is referenced. Could you please let me know the sourcebook and page number please. Thanks.

dmnqwk

Explorer
I think this is where you'd be better to use alternative attribute skills.

(Dexterity) Animal Handling or (Intelligence) Animal Handling would be my best choice - Intelligence representing the fact you know the way to command a Horse, while Dexterity suggests an affinity to get it to comply when making your difficult maneuvers. It's definitely one thing they haven't used enough when it comes to skill checks wherein the usual ability doesn't apply.

BoldItalic

First Post
I wasn't aware that you could do this with tools and I can't find the rule where this is referenced. Could you please let me know the sourcebook and page number please. Thanks.
PHB p.187, bottom right of the page, under Training. "You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools."

Kor

First Post
PHB p.187, bottom right of the page, under Training. "You can spend time between adventures learning a new language or training with a set of tools."

Thank you. I don't think I've ever really read through that section much, and don't recall seeing that before.

Last edited:

William Bosley

First Post
I think this is where you'd be better to use alternative attribute skills.

(Dexterity) Animal Handling or (Intelligence) Animal Handling would be my best choice - Intelligence representing the fact you know the way to command a Horse, while Dexterity suggests an affinity to get it to comply when making your difficult maneuvers. It's definitely one thing they haven't used enough when it comes to skill checks wherein the usual ability doesn't apply.

I disagree because remembering a few command words is so easy it shouldn't call for a check, but issuing the commands with authority and proper timing to the animal while in the middle of riding may require a (Charisma) Animal Handling check.

Remove ads