D&D General Horses, phantom steeds or flying carpets... with wizards casting successions of floating disks for fast mass transportation

greg kaye

Explorer
Sounds like time for Tenser's Wagon Train.
That's cool. 5e offers favorable options for spell research, but you've got an off-the-peg option as a repeatable ritual for something done in travel time when you might not be busy. 🤷‍♂️
Just let the spell make bigger discs when upcast. ...
Also cool, but spell slots? Even if you can houserule an upcast for floating disk and as long as you don't need your high-level spell slots, after up to eight hours of travel, when you get to your destination. (y)
Upcasting floating disk might just double the capacity - but why not just ritual cast twice?
A wagon pulled by two draft horses can carry 5,000lbs. ...
Still cool. 5e also seems to indicate that a wagon can move at the full rate of a horse (whereas in reality, it might have been relatively slow and for a potentially, significantly shortened travel day.

Even so, a draft horse has 40ft movement while a phantom steed has a 100ft pace.

With flying carpets (or broom of flying), the use of the ritual spell could get you large carpet capabilities at small carpet speeds.
SizeCapacityFlying Speed
3 ft. x 5 ft.200 lb.80 feet
4 ft. x 6 ft.400 lb.60 feet
5 ft. x 7 ft.600 lb.40 feet
6 ft. x 9 ft.800 lb.30 feet

With something like this or a mount with horseshoes of zephyr you, potentially, could easily also outrun warships and run rings around smaller boats while being less detectable to creatures below. (DMs have often ruled that floating disk can travel over surfaces like lava and water).

Waterborne Vehicles
ItemCostSpeed
Galley30,000 gp4 mph
Keelboat3,000 gp1 mph
Longship10,000 gp3 mph
Rowboat50 gp1 1/2 mph
Sailing ship10,000 gp2 mph
Warship25,000 gp2 1/2 mph
60 ft movement = 7 m

Last edited:

Sounds like time for Tenser's Wagon Train.

Seriously, at this point just making a higher level spell that creates a "train" of floating discs or the like seems like less of a hassle.
I would say that the only reason no such spell already exists is it is not a situation that typically crops up in D&D games, and most DMs would hand-wave it anyway.

greg kaye

Explorer
I would say that the only reason no such spell already exists is it is not a situation that typically crops up in D&D games, and most DMs would hand-wave it anyway.
You're still asking to replicate effects such as of flying carpet (very rare item) and, if you're looking to move at speed, your asking for enhanced affect.
SizeCapacityFlying Speed
I've never taken the spell floating disk but, if I did, I'd want options to get the most out of it. Travel is a situation that comes up all the time. Moving assets to or away from enemies or just pillaging sellable spoils can also be nice.

Last edited:

You're still asking to replicate effects such as of flying carpet (very rare item) and, if you're looking to move at speed, your asking for enhanced affect.
SizeCapacityFlying Speed
So what? I can't think of a situation where it would matter. There is such a thing as teleportation.

And the rarity system in 5e is is nonsense, and has no relationship to how useful things are. Not very, when it comes to flying carpets. They are usually used to line bags of holding,

greg kaye

Explorer
More to the point, have you indicated why you think the party needs "optimum mileage"?
i've never taken the spell floating disk but, if I did, I'd want options to get the most out of it. Travel is a situation that comes up all the time. Moving assets to or away from enemies or just pillaging sellable spoils can also be nice.
"optimum mileage" is your chosen term, but why not?
Optimum capacity, over challenging terrains etc. at speed might also be nice.
Want to get to the bbeg before that informant returns?
... There is such a thing as teleportation.
Why would you want this? For something like "optimum mileage"?

"optimum mileage" is your chosen term, but why not?
Optimum capacity, over challenging terrains etc. at speed might also be nice.
Want to get to the bbeg before that informant returns?

Why would you want this? For something like "optimum mileage"?
Because D&D travel is usually the same as the Enterprise - at the speed of plot. The party sets off, they travel, they arrive. What happens in between is defined by the number of random encounters, not seconds.

greg kaye

Explorer
Because D&D travel is usually the same as the Enterprise - at the speed of plot. The party sets off, they travel, they arrive. What happens in between is defined by the number of random encounters, not seconds.
Yeah, that's often true. However many days it takes you to get to the ritual sacrifice, it's only always just about to start.

On encounters though, when you've got your third harsh one or if you're already depleted after exploration, it kinda might be nice if there was an option to just speed by with some extra pace regardless of the loads being hauled.

And so that potential adversary picks up your tracks? There's only one set! =D
Unless, of course, you have horseshoes of zephyr - in which case there aren't any.

Remove ads