Another Look at the D&D Essentials Kit

Here's a closer look at the upcoming D&D Essentials Kit.

519DX_EssentialsKit_ProductImgFullv1.png

D&D Essentials Kit (September 3rd; June 24th in the US)
Boxed Set

Everything you need to create characters and play the new adventures in this introduction to the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Dungeons & Dragons is a cooperative storytelling game that harnesses your imagination and invites you to explore a fantastic world of adventure, where heroes battle monsters, find treasures, and overcome quests. The D&D Essentials Kitis a new introductory product meant to bring D&D to audiences interested in jumping into a fantasy story.

This box contains the essentials you need to run a D&D game with one Dungeon Master and one to five adventurers. A newly designed rulebook on-boards players by teaching them how to make characters, and the included adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak, introduces a new 1-on-1 rules variant.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I read on the Reddit recap of the stream that the box will come with a code to redeem the adventure for free on DDB and get a 50% coupon on the PHB for DDB. That's really cool, I've been wanting to buy at least the PHB on DDB, but that money always went to a new hardcover book instead.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Unless there's a big difference in price or content (and there doesn't seem to be), I'll wait til September and pick it up at my FLGS. It's cool that Target will carry the set, but they sure don't need my money and my FLGS sure does.

I have no use for DDB, but whatever - it sure doesn't hurt me for other people to have it.

collin

Explorer
I mean okay, cool, I guess that's nice, but that doesn't change what I said: The Lost Mine of Phandelver is being overused, and the fact you're recommending it to others to get into D&D doesn't help. Even if they're getting into it through something that isn't using the adventure, they're going to learn a lot about that adventure and many intro/impromptu events will be ruined because this is the one adventure anyone wants to run without making their own.

At this point I feel like this adventure is only useful if your players have been living under a rock and intend to stay there for the rest of their lives.

I disagree with your opinion that "Lost Mines of Phandelver" is being overused. I have often seen it cited on EN World for new DMs who are looking for a 1st adventure to run with new players (far better than trying to run Hoard of the Dragon Queen for the first time, imo). I think it serves a purpose, and it has served that purpose well. I wish my DM had chosen that adventure when we first started playing 5th edition D&D instead of Hoard. Yes, one of the (hopeful) goals of D&D is that DMs and players will continue to expand their imaginations over the course of time and create their own adventures, but you have to start somewhere. It has a niche and it serves its purpose. There are many adventures to choose from, including plenty found on DM's Guild. However, finding good 1st level adventures can be a bit more challenging. The aforementioned "Keep on the Borderlands" was just such an adventure for many new players from 1st-edition D&D on up, but let's face it, besides introducing some mechanics and the (very) basic environment of role-playing and D&D, it ain't that great.

If someone does not want to run it, or play it, then that is their choice. I don't criticize people for running "Keep".

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Unless there's a big difference in price or content (and there doesn't seem to be), I'll wait til September and pick it up at my FLGS. It's cool that Target will carry the set, but they sure don't need my money and my FLGS sure does.

I have no use for DDB, but whatever - it sure doesn't hurt me for other people to have it.

Target already gets enough of my money for diapers.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Does anyone know what the maps are exactly? I love maps. Especially with hexes. B-)
I see two maps in the screenshot: a regional map of the Neverwinter/Phandalin area and a town map of Phandalin. They appear to be the same maps from Lost Mine of Phandelver.

jasper

Rotten DM

At this point I feel like this adventure is only useful if your players have been living under a rock and intend to stay there for the rest of their lives.

(...).
Psst Psst. Your XP does not mean sand. My players must have rocks in their head because most have not played in it. What the quartz is Adventure Zone? Sounds like bad anime on the cartoon channel. Maybe you should grit your teeth, and let others suggest good adventures. Lava on.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases