D&D 5E Vehicle combat rules for a piracy-themed campaign - suggestions?

MarkB

Legend
I'm currently in the early planning stages of a campaign I'm tentatively titling "Pirates of the Arabian", set in a fantasy desert land where the sands and skies are plied by various vessels, from sand-skiffs and giant worms to flying carpets and airships (still not sure whether to go with an existing setting or make my own).

The PCs will be privateers operating under contract to one of the major nation-states, initially on a very small surface craft but building up to larger, more versatile vehicles as the campaign progresses, and ship-to-ship chases and combat should be a recurring feature.

I've skimmed the DMG and couldn't see any established rules for vehicle combat, so I'm wondering whether anyone has concocted or adapted any 5e-friendly rules, and how well they worked in practice.

My PCs were being pursued by a fleet of Imperial ships commanded by the Emperor's own bastard daughter a few weeks ago. I used the Chase rules in the DMG (pg 252) as a template as well as the Siege Equipment info (pg 255) to calculate damage/range. I designed my own chase table with possible sea-related complications (i.e. wind-directional change, sandbar, coral reef, whirlpools, sea creatures, water spouts) that the PC manning the helm and the empire's fleet would roll on each turn.

The PCs (besides the dwarf on the helm) would use their actions to shoot ballistas, raise or lower the sails, cast weather-related spells, or when close enough, board enemy ships. It was pretty fast paced and worked out really well (*hint* the spell control water is really fun at sea!).

MarkB

Legend
[MENTION=6778305]Redthistle[/MENTION] - thanks for the link, that'll be useful when we get to aerial combat.

My PCs were being pursued by a fleet of Imperial ships commanded by the Emperor's own bastard daughter a few weeks ago. I used the Chase rules in the DMG (pg 252) as a template as well as the Siege Equipment info (pg 255) to calculate damage/range.

Ah, excellent advice - I'd missed the Chase rules in the DMG. I'll see about adapting them to my setting. Combining them with the Siege Equipment information should work well.

Rune

Once A Fool
I think if I was doing vehicle combat I'd make mobile siege-engine grade platforms (and measure speed in yards instead of feet). But I'd put agency in determining what damage was done to their vessel into the players' hands.

Each character is assigned to a station. You target the PC. The PC determines whether or not to take the damage from a hit themselves (or on NPC crew), or to their station. Damaged stations produce half speed or have disadvantage on checks/attacks until repaired. Destroyed stations simply can't be used and can't be repaired during combat.

MarkB

Legend
I think if I was doing vehicle combat I'd make mobile siege-engine grade platforms (and measure speed in yards instead of feet). But I'd put agency in determining what damage was done to their vessel into the players' hands.

Each character is assigned to a station. You target the PC. The PC determines whether or not to take the damage from a hit themselves (or on NPC crew), or to their station. Damaged stations produce half speed or have disadvantage on checks/attacks until repaired. Destroyed stations simply can't be used and can't be repaired during combat.

Thanks Rune. I'm not quite so sure about PCs being able to interpose themselves against incoming attacks, but I do like the concept of dividing vehicles into functional sections which take damage independently.

PnPgamer

Explorer
Page 116 on DMG for general maneuvering in Unusual environments.
Rules are for waters and air, but you could adjust them.

As far as combat goes, one could assume that players mounting a cannon use their own attack rolls to see if they hit, and then you can determine what was damaged on opponents ship(invent small table?). Enough stuff broken and the enemy surrenders or resorts to normal man to man combat.

Last edited:

jgsugden

Legend
You may wish to visit a used book store and look for old Dark Sun rules. I seem to recall them having some rules for silt sea ships which are essentially what you're doing...

Remove ads