D&D 5E Vehicle combat rules for a piracy-themed campaign - suggestions?

MarkB

Legend
Thanks, that'd be handy, especially if it comes with pictures. In terms of finding useful imagery this is turning out to be a corner of fantasy settings that is largely unvisited - my Google image searches have turned up hundreds of pictures of Jabba the Hutt's sail barge and skiffs, and practically nothing that really resembles the sort of vehicles I'm imagining.

Unwise

Adventurer
When dealing with a lot of small vessels, I borrowed from the EotE game a bit and added in structure and breach for vehicles and vehicle weapons. For each point of structure a building/vehicle has, it has DR10, for each point of breach a weapon has, it ignores 1 point of structure.

So the rogue fires his crossbow at the ship with structure 4, it ignores the first 40 points of damage he does.

A ram from the prow of a ship might only do 3d10 damage (as a person just bounces out the way) but it has breach 5, so will hit the skiff for full damage.

The small fire-thrower on your skiffs prow does 3d10 damage, but against wooden structures it has breach 4, so will hurt most structures pretty badly.

The good thing about this are:
- It lets vehicle weapons matter, without making them auto-death to combatants.
- It does not overshadow the damage that a DPR class will put out like giving everybody a cannon to fire normally does.
- It also addresses the silliness of stabbing a ship with a rapier and expecting it to wittle the ship down in a meaningful way.
- It allows you to have small HP pools on ships, without fear of PCs just stabbing them to death. This stops overly protacted combats. One good shot from a siege weapon will destroy a small ship, but it would take PCs with a sword ages to do so.

I gave great axes and mauls breach 1, this made them the right tools for the job when attempting demolition of enemy rudders etc. I set breach 1 as the benchmark of an unremarkable wooden door, so an axe is not getting through a proper palisade any time soon.

Remove ads