D&D 5E Curse of Strahd help

pukunui

Legend
Some good thoughts there, [MENTION=6873909]texastoast[/MENTION]. I'll have to reread the info on Lady Wachter, but the impression I got was that she hasn't got a personal relationship with Strahd. She may not have even met him in person. She just approves of him and is his biggest fan, as it were. Maybe Strahd lost his journal - or maybe it was stolen - long ago, and he's forgotten about it. Lady Wachter hangs on to it as a keepsake, a precious memento of her favorite celebrity. She doesn't know that he'd want it back if he knew she had it.

Something like that anyway.

Wepwawet

Explorer
Some good thoughts there, [MENTION=6873909]texastoast[/MENTION]. I'll have to reread the info on Lady Wachter, but the impression I got was that she hasn't got a personal relationship with Strahd. She may not have even met him in person. She just approves of him and is his biggest fan, as it were. Maybe Strahd lost his journal - or maybe it was stolen - long ago, and he's forgotten about it. Lady Wachter hangs on to it as a keepsake, a precious memento of her favorite celebrity. She doesn't know that he'd want it back if he knew she had it.

Something like that anyway.

She does think that Strahd is no tyrant, only a negligent landlord at worst. And it seems like she never met him personally. Her family connection to Strahd seems to be Vasili von Holtz, who visited her grandmother.

What if the "book club" is reading the Tome? And instead of worshipping devils they're worshipping Strahd himself? Just like the people from the Death house.
They read passages from the Tome, the life and teachings of their "lord and saviour".

Strahd has forgotten about his journal. She found it in the attic and recently started this cult. Strahd is not a micromanaging darklord, he doesn't know everything that goes on in his land. It would be interesting when he finds out. (..then again, he'd just ask her for the book and that's it)

Wepwawet

Explorer
@Wepwawet, is Van Richten particularly important outside of the reveal that he was behind the death of that one character's clan? I get the impression the answer is "no." In that case, my instinct is that you should rather introduce the idea that the person behind the death of his clan is here in Barovia, and gradually drop clues to his identity, assuming they take that bait. (I suppose this loses its punch if the characters are Barovian.) If you do that, how much does it matter to the PCs that he is Van Richten, Monster Hunter? It might actually make it a more exciting reveal if this person they have been (I presume) looking for all this time turns out to be the unassuming bard with whom they've crossed paths a bunch of times.

I suppose the way you want to play up Rictavio and nudge the players toward him depends on what kind of reaction you want them to have to him when they put it all together. I think whether you want him to be a villain in your characters' story, or whether you want to make his story somewhat redemptive, either way you can use the tiger attack you suggested. If it happens off-camera as you described, Rictavio really comes off as a murderor, reinforcing the "he murdered my family with zombies" narrative. Or you could have Arrigal and some Strahd-aligned Vistani ambush the party for some reason (ideally in a predictable place like the Vallaki camp) and have Rictavio and the tiger rescue them, mostly out of good timing. That would play up the "Vistani are evil and allied with vampires" angle and make it more natural for the players to find him sympathetic.

Very good points, thank you. Precisely, I don't want to play him as a plain villain, he's there to help the party, but with a dark past that affects one of the players directly. Just to see how they respond to it. Ideally he would get his redemption... Or she, the half elf man could in fact be Ezmerelda Van Richten, legendary monster hunter! Wooden leg, sword cane, glasses and beautiful curly black hair :D I haven't read that far yet though

I'll do your suggestion of a Vistani ambush, an armored tiger comes out of nowhere and helps fight them, but then, when it seems it's all over he turns to this monk and attacks him. That's when Rictavio appears and stops the tiger. Then he'll mention his tower as a safe spot, but, would he trust that information to a vistana? The monk is black, while vistani tend to be white... His clan probably was black as well... That would make Rictavio connect the dots and look visibly uncomfortable (even with the ring of mind shielding). Or I can forget about all that, I'm sure the players wouldn't make those connections. After all, Barovia is home to humans of all colours.

About you and all those NPCs in the tower...
There are many useful NPCs in this campaign, too many. It's great that your players connect with them (unfortunately mine barely do, which makes it easier for me). I'd suggest sending them around in helpful side quests instead of keeping them all together, but it's not an option right now... You can have Ismark and Izek stay back guarding Ireena, while the players go ahead fighting monsters and doing their thing. (well, that's obvious ... but can't really give you any more help right now)

Edit: Heroic sacrifice for the safety of their friends! Forgot that one. Helps the players and frees you of an NPC ;)

Loving this brainstorming of three different stories! :)

Last edited:

texastoast

Explorer
I'll do your suggestion of a Vistani ambush, an armored tiger comes out of nowhere and helps fight them, but then, when it seems it's all over he turns to this monk and attacks him. That's when Rictavio appears and stops the tiger. Then he'll mention his tower as a safe spot, but, would he trust that information to a vistana? The monk is black, while vistani tend to be white... His clan probably was black as well... That would make Rictavio connect the dots and look visibly uncomfortable (even with the ring of mind shielding). Or I can forget about all that, I'm sure the players wouldn't make those connections. After all, Barovia is home to humans of all colours.

That's super interesting that your PC is black and the other Vistani (at least all the illustrations in the book) are white; that seems a nice, easy way to trigger in Rictavio's mind that the PC is from the clan in question. He was Van Richten at the time he slaughtered the clan, right, and he feels guilty for having done so? So it makes sense that 1) he would want to make amends with the PC as representative of the clan that he thought was exterminated, and 2) he would want to do so in relative secret to protect his Rictavio identity. So that would be a reason why he might invite the party to the Tower, so he could reveal himself and have that conversation.

Loving this brainstorming of three different stories! :)

Right? It's almost as fun as running game sessions itself. These boards and y'all's help in particular have enormously increased my confidence DMing the game.

To update where my group is at...

I took your advice about managing my NPCs, without even having read it yet. ;) We all took a long rest in the Tower. We did have an epic encounter when the werewolves came in response to the lightning trap. They retreated to the woods after we started tossing spells at them (I forgot about Khazan's anti-magic field until it was too late). Then my character, who has the Invisibility spell, went outside, drawing the wolves to attack, then did the door-opening dance wrong, summoning the young blue dragon. He won initiative and cast Invisibility, hid in Ezmerelda's wagon, and let the dragon attack the wolves; its initial lightning attack did 57 points to all but 2 of them. (It made me regret not taking the time - usually not worth the time - to roll up their hit points individually, since they have 58 otherwise.) That earned them a long rest without the werewolves potentially informing Strahd who was in the Tower (ie the players' whereabouts).

When they left in the morning, Van Richten and Ezmerelda decided to stay in the Tower to do their own thing(s). I haven't exactly decided what those would be. Before the PCs, along with Team Alien (Ismark, Ireena, and Izek ... 3 I's, get it?) headed to Krezk, and thence to the Wizard of Wines (which was also mentioned by Urwin in Vallaki), I had Rictavio give the party each a magic item from his chest. (I got looking at magic items in the DMG and got kind of excited about them.) Rictavio is their ally per the card reading, and unless I missed it there is no mechanical effect of that, so I wanted to play that up. By the way, do you have any suggestions for a Monk with Eyes of the Eagle? Would you give a buff on passive perception checks? That's the gift Rictavio gave to my 12yo, and I don't want it to be lame or underpowered. More importantly though, he gave the group a Sending Stone, keeping the other half himself so that he can stay in touch with the parties.

Then when they went into the Wizard of Wines, Team Alien stayed outside with Davian, although his two adult sons accompanied them because the PCs seemed to expect that they would all go together, and I couldn't think of a good reason those guys at least shouldn't. I actually found the encounter there kind of boring, so I didn't mind making it easier. The Beastmaster Ranger's familiar is an owl, our Druid cast Beast Sense to see through its eyes, and it scouted the winery, finding the druid poisoning the vats and the one with the staff. I don't know if that was more than I should have let the familiar do or not. So first thing they cornered and killed the staff druid. The young Martikovs proved helpful; someone on these boards suggested having the ravens in the winery shout about breaking the staff, and I had the two wereravens (incognito) listen and translate that squawked message to the PCs. They destroyed the staff and that just about finished that fight.

So I'm going next to try to encourage them to go to Yester Hill and put a stop to the druids before they take the wine to Krezk. I really don't want Wintersplinter to destroy the winery unless the PCs are negligent, and Davian should be able to clue them in, between telling his story and reporting on the druids fleeing south after we destroyed the Gulthias staff. Restoring the winery is worth a lot of "points of light," which I want to employ. I don't know quite what the Yester Hill encounter should look like though. I don't want Strahd to show up today to sanction the ritual to create Wintersplinter. He's going to be busy, now that he knows about Ireena in Vallaki, attacking the chapel and visiting the Burgomaster's. I suppose I could have him have done that last night (while everybody was sleeping in the Tower). Is Yester Hill resolvable if the druids don't start their ritual? What would cause them to destroy the statue (finding the gem) or the Gulthias tree otherwise?

I'm also looking ahead to their return to Krezk. Assuming they find their way to the pool, how should I handle the meeting with Ireena and Sergei? Specifically, what would Izek do? Possibly my portrayal of him is unrealistic, but he's latched tightly onto his "I would do anything to protect my sister" bond. (He kinda flipped out when a druid's thunderwave hit her.) How would the scene go where she tries to depart with Sergei if Izek is there trying to protect her (to say nothing of Ismark)? And if she does go, would Izek go ballistic and attack the party reuniting him with his sister and then leading to her (ostensible) death?

Wepwawet

Explorer
That's super interesting that your PC is black and the other Vistani (at least all the illustrations in the book) are white; that seems a nice, easy way to trigger in Rictavio's mind that the PC is from the clan in question. He was Van Richten at the time he slaughtered the clan, right, and he feels guilty for having done so? So it makes sense that 1) he would want to make amends with the PC as representative of the clan that he thought was exterminated, and 2) he would want to do so in relative secret to protect his Rictavio identity. So that would be a reason why he might invite the party to the Tower, so he could reveal himself and have that conversation.
That's certainly less quarrelsome than my idea of him finding the journal page, get angry and fight him on sight. Good idea.
The monk is basically a Brazilian Capoeira dancer, shirtless and all (until now, getting colder as they go up mountains). He's the only human in the group, Urchin background, so I made him a vistana taken away when very young. Only later the player reminded me that he's black, which works even better that way.

I had Rictavio give the party each a magic item from his chest. (I got looking at magic items in the DMG and got kind of excited about them.) Rictavio is their ally per the card reading, and unless I missed it there is no mechanical effect of that, so I wanted to play that up.
The fated ally can give inspiration to a character as an action (I think it's on the section with the card results for the ally). It's only that but it's still pretty good.
Mine is Davian Martikov, he'll be squawking inspiration at them from up in the air :p
But handing out magic items is also a good idea, especially being Rictavio.

By the way, do you have any suggestions for a Monk with Eyes of the Eagle? Would you give a buff on passive perception checks? That's the gift Rictavio gave to my 12yo, and I don't want it to be lame or underpowered.
Yup, +5 passive Perception. Advantage on a check adds 5 to the passive score (disadvantage is -5).

So I'm going next to try to encourage them to go to Yester Hill and put a stop to the druids before they take the wine to Krezk. I really don't want Wintersplinter to destroy the winery unless the PCs are negligent, and Davian should be able to clue them in, between telling his story and reporting on the druids fleeing south after we destroyed the Gulthias staff. Restoring the winery is worth a lot of "points of light," which I want to employ. I don't know quite what the Yester Hill encounter should look like though. I don't want Strahd to show up today to sanction the ritual to create Wintersplinter. He's going to be busy, now that he knows about Ireena in Vallaki, attacking the chapel and visiting the Burgomaster's. I suppose I could have him have done that last night (while everybody was sleeping in the Tower). Is Yester Hill resolvable if the druids don't start their ritual? What would cause them to destroy the statue (finding the gem) or the Gulthias tree otherwise?
Oh, I haven't read that far yet... But I was planning on them returning to Krezk first, and (finally) get rid of Ireena. Plus it will complicate things with Strahd if they arrive at druid camp with her... He can't give them much chances to escape this time...

BTW, I'm been waiting for ages for a change to have Strahd say "One... One dead adventurer! 'Ah 'Ah 'Ah 'Ah!"

I'm also looking ahead to their return to Krezk. Assuming they find their way to the pool, how should I handle the meeting with Ireena and Sergei? Specifically, what would Izek do? Possibly my portrayal of him is unrealistic, but he's latched tightly onto his "I would do anything to protect my sister" bond. (He kinda flipped out when a druid's thunderwave hit her.) How would the scene go where she tries to depart with Sergei if Izek is there trying to protect her (to say nothing of Ismark)? And if she does go, would Izek go ballistic and attack the party reuniting him with his sister and then leading to her (ostensible) death?
You can give her some weird affliction that no magic of the PCs can remove. Just before Krezk. When they get there people tell them about the holy pool with healing waters. Done. Bit railroady I know... In my case they have an item in the gazebo, they have to go there, but this will be a backup plan if they don't take her.
Ismark is good aligned, he'll know in his heart that she's happy and at peace. Izek... not so much. How about turning against the players for letting his new found sister disappear with a ghost? (one less NPC as a bonus! haha)

Last edited:

Wepwawet

Explorer
[MENTION=56398]Last session, my group kinda flailed about a bit. One PC got killed by the revenants, while the other two escaped. I offered the dead PC a dark gift and he came back to life without a mouth (and the ability to use telepathy).

How did you play that out? Did the character come back exactly the same (but without a mouth)? Or as an undead? How long did it take?

I'm still thinking about how to handle death and I don't want it to be too easy...

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=56398]Wepwawet[/MENTION]: It's one of the options from the Adventurers League Expanded Dark Gifts table.

Note: I waived the 4th level cut-off point for my game, since I'm not part of the AL.

Also, while remove curse will get rid of the gift itself, it doesn't get rid of the side-effects, which include detecting as an evil undead with things like the detect evil and good spell and a paladin's Divine Sense ability. Cats will continue to hiss at his approach, and milk to sour at his touch, and so on.

Last edited:

pukunui

Legend
My next session is this Friday. As I do my prep, I'm wondering if maybe I could set it up so Lady Wachter knows somehow that they are searching for a wedding dress, and instead of offering Strahd's tome in exchange for her life, she offers them knowledge: specifically that she knows that the baroness has a wedding dress she'd most likely be happy to part with (although they'll have to convince her husband, the baron, first). Perhaps she received a vision or something. And she could try to use it as a way of manipulating the PCs into getting rid of the baron for her, as she knows he would never agree to let his wife give away her wedding dress, especially not to a bunch of weird foreigners.

What do you guys think?

Remove ads