D&D 5E Mystic playtest...ugg this class is all over the place

Themes that I want to see.

Telepathy (Communicate, Charm, Fear, Suggestion, Domination, Phantasm, Hallucination)
Force (Telekinesis, Fly, Magic Missile, Shield, Force, Radiant, Light, Force Constructs)
Prescience-Teleport (Esp/Divinate/Predict; Clairvoyance, Outofbody Projection, Teleport, Time Manipulation, bring body where mind is)
Shapeshift-Healing (Psychometabolism, Healing, Polymorph, Poison, Acid)
Elementalism (Fire/Lightning, Water/Cold, Air/Thunder/Plants, Earth/Crystal/Metal/Bludgeon/Pierce/Slash)

I think it is fair. The highest level powers can only come from ones chosen theme. Powers from other themes must be available later from powers that are lower than ones highest level. (To be clearer what I mean. Say a Wizard focuses on Elementalism. When reaching the 3rd spell level, the Wizard can only choose elemental 3rd spell level spells, such as Fireball. However, at the same time, now non-elemental 2nd spell level spells become available.)

Also, there can be archetypes within archetypes. For example, an elementalist might focus especially on Fire. A Prescient might focus on predicting the future and time travel. And so on.

‘Plants’ equates to Air, within Daoist alchemy. Air moves like a Tree. The five Daoist elements are fundamental motions, not substances: things that move up like Fire, move down like Water, contract into denseness like Metal, expand all encompassing like Tree, and supply space like Soil. Plants generate oxygen, so there is affinity between Air and Tree for other reasons too. In other cultures, the cosmic tree is the sky planted on the land, whose whose canopy of branches are the clouds and stars. Soil corresponds to Ether, but Soil is mostly understood as the empty space of Void, vacuum, and outer space.

I like the idea of major and minor acess... like You are a telepath major and telekentic minor type thing... I do like soul knife and wu jen but think they need to be another class.

Yaarel

He Mage
mystic magic weapons should be +1 at 3rdish level, +2 at 9thish level and +3 at 13thish level... maybe varie a bit by 1 or 2 levels...but +3 at 1st level is way overboard.

Ideally, this would be true for all classes and all things D&D because of bounded accuracy. I would even bump higher the +3.

Class Level: Attack Bonus
Student L1: +1
Master L9: +2
Legend L17: +3
Epic L25: +4

And even at these levels, these bonuses are rare or costly, such as requiring concentration if a spell.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
All of the spells or powers that increase the magical weapon bonus do require concentration. Bless, magic weapon, psionic weapon all require it. Personally, I think that the psionic weapon ability should be a weapon that the mystic personally wields instead of just any weapon. It probably should scale though or at least cost 7 power points so that they don't receive access to it until level 9 instead of now when they can access it at level 5, that's just a couple of levels before magic weapon allows the +3 bonus to come into effect for a wizard.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I have little to add to this conversation (but I would like to follow it) because I haven't had a chance to see a mystic in action yet.

They are clearly immensely versatile, and definitely should not be multiclassed into, but I'm never sure if they are actually over-powered or not

hejtmane

Explorer
We created one for a high level game to fill in for a missing person in the group because that part was built for the # of players on my encounters any ways it was pretty ho hum did good at times my biggest complaint when building him is eventually they have access to every sub category at high levels that is down right while stupid how about making people make hard decisions in a game instead of giving them the ability to access everything just by switching focuses.

I am waiting for the next rewrite to test again in the current form I like some of the ideas but parts of it are just bad in the current form

Valetudo

Explorer
From what i saw the last time i checked. They are just cramming way too much in one class. They need to take some of this stuff into other classes. Soulknife should go rogue, and i heard they were gonna male a sohei subclass for the fighter but either delayed it or scrapped it. The mystic needs to be more defined. Its one of subclasses best use, i dont understand why they are not taking advantage of it.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I would have liked to see the mystic have more psychic sounding subclasses going back to the older editions for ideas. I did reorganise the powers into the old 2e discipline groupings to see what it would look like, only psychokinesis, psychometabolism, and telepathy had enough to form disciplines. Clairsentience and psychoportation did not. I think really, any move back to the older versions of psionics will be up to me homebrewing which is likely not going to happen either.

Yaarel

He Mage
@GMforPowergamers, @cbwjm

The way I wish the Magic Weapon spell worked is like this:

Class Level: Attack Bonus
Student L1: +1
Master L9: +2
Legend L17: +3
Epic L25: +4

Each plus is 8 levels higher. The advancement covers the entire 20-level career.

They way it actually works is like this:
L1: +1
L7: +2
L11: +3

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Yeah, but at level 11, would you really want to spend your only 6th level spell slot on granting a +3 bonus for one person? I think there are far better uses of that spell slot.

Remove ads