What the heck is going on with the professional RPG industry in regards to Zak S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeyefan

Legend
So does the industry have a threshold on when it takes action? Is 1 allegation sufficient? 5? 20? Because I doubt very many people were surprised by this recent news. Definitely sadenned. But unfortunately not surprised. How many other professionals have met this threshold but are simply flying under the radar until the next lot of bad press swings their way? Because bad press seems to be the only thing to galvanise WotC and OneBookshelf into action thus far.

I don’t thibk there are hard and fast rules for this stuff. Times are changing and people are more connected, so this kind of news spreads farther and wider and much more quickly. Again, this is one of the reasons that this instance seems to have resulted in stronger consequences s for Zak S. Even over the last 5 years, there’s been a significant shift in how these situations are handled.

And over the last several years there seems to have been a strong push for improvement inside the industry, at concentions and at publishers. Hopefully, that continues.

We've recently had a blog post with new allegations against Zak S (a.k.a Zak Zabbath a.k.a Zak Smith). I'm not surprised to see a new round of allegations against him. This isn't the first time he's weathered such accusations. Although unlike some previous allegations this one seems to have no evidence (which is fair enough. Someone shouldn't have to be a forensic scientist to alert people of the way they've been treated).

However supported only by an allegation the RPG industry has acted swiftly and with vengeance. The biggest seller of RPG products is refusing to carry Zak's work. And WotC have now removed the credit Zak had from the 5e PHB.

Are we as consumers okay at the professional RPG industry refusing to do business with someone over a mere allegation? Because I can see this quickly leading to some innocent people hurt sooner or later.
"Mere allegations" assumes that the FOUR people who have spoken up against Zak are liars and all part of some shadowy organized and coordinated conspiracy-campaign that exists solely smear Zak.

Again, one of the people speaking out was Zak's longtime partner, who was also frequently used as a shield. And who alleges physical and psychological abuse:
https://www.facebook.com/amandapatricianagy/posts/10215845527064252blog

And then there is also this follow-up accusation:
https://www.facebook.com/VivkaCriesWolf/posts/2478145012257909

So these aren't just accusation. That is evidence. Eye witness testimony and victim statements.
What more do you need?

If they are acting on more than the allegation, and are in fact reacting to known behaviour of Zak S or so strongly suspected behaviour that they feel confident in their current reaction: What the heck was the RPG industry doing up until now? If Zak S is so bad that he should have every mention of him removed from the RPG industry, why didn't they do something before now? I certainly wasn't surprised to see the most recent allegation. So why the heck are they pretending to be surprised? And if they didn't have any suspicions, why are they taking such drastic action against someone without any legal proceedings occurring?
Here's the thing: people aren't surprised. I wasn't. Many others weren't either. It was well known that Zak was a pretty horrible and abusive person. That's why there was a walk-out of the 2014 ENnies. That's why people protested his inclusion in the credits of the PHB. That's why WotC hasn't worked with him since.

But there was always enough room to deny. For people to tell themselves that he was just being a troll online, but wasn't a bad person. Or that he wasn't really targeting people online, and his victims were just feigning outrage or thin skinned.
Until, finally, the sexual assault accusations by his girlfriends surfaced. And that was enough to convince *most* people that his online behavior wasn't just as masque. That he wasn't just a troll online. That he was a serial abuser and toxic individual.

If Ed Greenwood or Mike Mearls get similar allegations made against them, will they be treated the same as Zak S? And if not, then why not?
Here's the thing... if people have a horrible reputation for being a despicable toxic individual, then accusations against them have a lot of weight. People are quick to believe the accusations against Zak because he had a terrible reputation online.
If someone has a reputation for being a kind gentleman and a positive voice and a single person accuses them, then that stands out as uncharacteristic. People might be more willing to listen to the accused and question a denial.

Mike Mearls has a so-so reputation, so it wouldn't surprise many who want to believe the worst of him. (Especially after his behaviour in the early ZS controversies of 2014.)
Ed Greenwood is a dirty old man, so if it came out he was handsy as well, no one would be surprised.

But if, say, Jeremy Crawford was accused of assault, people might stop and want to hear his side. There's more room for doubt. As always, some people would believe the worst, and some would give him the benefit of the doubt. But with no evidence, a single accusation would not be enough to tarnish his reputation. Because his reputation is solid.

But let's play the numbers game.
According to the FBI 2% of sexual assault accusations are false.
Meanwhile, only 34.8% of rapes are reported. (That would be 2% of that 34.8%). That means 65.2% of rapes are unreported, in large part because women are discouraged from naming names and afraid they will not be believed.

We, as a society, are apparently okay to let 65.2% of women not even REPORT the fact they were raped, because it might damage the reputation of the 2% of men who are falsely accused. We're willing to let tens of thousands of actual rapists go free and be allowed to rape more women just to avoid damaging the :):):):)ing reputation of a few hundred men.

John Lynch2

First Post
But let's play the numbers game.
According to the FBI 2% of sexual assault accusations are false.
Meanwhile, only 34.8% of rapes are reported. (That would be 2% of that 34.8%). That means 65.2% of rapes are unreported, in large part because women are discouraged from naming names and afraid they will not be believed.
So how many accusations do you think should be aired before they should have their credits removed from all works and their products removed from RPGNow?

I'd be concerned if my place of employment fired someone because their girlfriend/boyfriend stood at the corner of a shopping centre and yelled about abuse the person had done to them. I'm not sure what American law or attitude is towards this though. You lot have some very.... "interesting" ideas and laws when it comes to employment and firing people without cause.

It's called "off-duty conduct".
Depending on local/ state laws, if an employee's behaviour harms the company's reputation or product they can (and absolutely will) fire you.
That's literally how workplace drug testing works.

Don't believe me? Try it. Go to the HR department at your work and ask them if you were featured in the local paper for a domestic disturbance where you were reported to be beating your spouse, as if they would continue to employ you? Hypothetically speaking of course. Ask if they'd fire you on the sport, or find some reason to let you go? Suddenly, that extra sick day or those long lunches just mean you're not working out...

And, if you're a freelancer who works-for-hire, then this doubly applies. Because it's not just them firing you, but them choosing not to hire you again.

You don't even need to be a wife beater and rapist like Zak to get black listened in the RPG industry. There's a LOT of freelancers out there and not a lot of paying work. Just being rude and unprofessional is enough to cost you work.
If you're a jerk and have a bad reputation, there's no shortage of other people who are almost as talented but not a jerk.

John Lynch2

First Post
I don’t thibk there are hard and fast rules for this stuff. Times are changing and people are more connected, so this kind of news spreads farther and wider and much more quickly. Again, this is one of the reasons that this instance seems to have resulted in stronger consequences s for Zak S. Even over the last 5 years, there’s been a significant shift in how these situations are handled.

And over the last several years there seems to have been a strong push for improvement inside the industry, at concentions and at publishers. Hopefully, that continues.
Are you okay with the industry leader and the biggest online seller of RPG products acting completely inconsistent? Now that they've set the standard on what happens when someone is found by them to be not worthy of inclusion in the professional community, I find it horrifying that they might do so with no consistency and argue through their actions "well we don't believe THOSE victims" or worse "not enough victims have come forward for us to act on someone who has been accused of abuse".

And yet, the idea that one allegation is enough is also quite horrifying. Here we go: I picked two names that I thought were people who had good standing in the RPG industry. Jester David almost came out saying "well it's only a matter of times before THAT person gets accused" against one of those two people. Which shows no-one's safe from being thought the worst of (except apparently Jeremy Crawford? What the heck?)

Psikosis

Explorer
I have never met anyone involved in this (to my knowledge, you meet a lot of people at cons so anything is possible). I support the survivors. I do and hope they get help if they need it and find a way forward. But that's not the same thing as saying I believe them. I have no idea what did or didn't happen. We, as a community, should extend support to survivors and remember that reasonable folks can disagree about what did or didn't happen. In other words, let's not divide ourselves into believer and doubter tribes.

So how many accusations do you think should be aired before they should have their credits removed from all works and their products removed from RPGNow?
Depends entirely on the severity and nature of the accusation and general standing of the individual in the community.

The bar is "enough that RPGNow no longer wants to support that person and help them make money".
Do people feel "icky" supporting that person and no longer want to buy their products? If yes, then pull them.

Really, I think anything that would qualify as a "felony" is probably a good line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads