Check Out This 43-Page Preview of the Unity RPG

Unity is a grim fantasy world mixed with elements of arcane technology from Zensara Studios. Modiphius has posted a free 43-page preview of the game. "The game takes place in a realm torn apart by the very same God that created it. His children, the four races of Unity, were punished for their hubris and left for dead. Now they struggle to come together and unite against the grim horrors of a world on fire."

1.png

The core rulebook is already available. You can find the 43-page preview here, which includes "an introduction to basic rules, write-ups on the playable races, combat and combo examples, full Tier 1 power list for the Dreadnought class, examples of enemies you’ll encounter and more."

There's new stuff coming soon, too, including Unity United (four new playable races), The Poison Within ( a PDF adventure), and the new Monk Class.

2.png

Retreater

Legend
That's actually been pretty well standard throughout the industry; excepting generic or genre-only games, and D&D, most everything else from major publishers starts with some intro-fluff these days.

Some of the genre-only games, such as FFG's End of the World line, include a bit of genre fluff in the front, too... only a handful of pages, but setting fluff in front, even there.

I get having a couple pages or even a whole chapter of fluff at the beginning, but this was a distracting amount (like 100+ pages). I come to rulebooks to learn the rules and find information in a well-organized reference guide, not to read a novel.

And granted, I could just "skip ahead" and look through the rules to see if it was a system I was interested in playing. It just felt like wasted space that most players don't need. (Imagine if Paizo published the Inner Sea World Guide with their Core Rulebook.)

ruemere

Adventurer
The thing is that with Unity you get 120 pages of fluff first. Or, if you want to count setting information and covers, 136 pages of it.
The actual game starts with Character Creation (chapter two) on page 134 (136 if you count the cover and dedication page).

The book breakdown continued:
Chapter 3, Classes, page 156. 94 pages of class information.
Chapter 4, Core Rules, page 250. Brief and to the point.
Chapter 5, Combat Rules, page 258. Decent, it merges 13th Age, 4E and 5E's advantage/disadvantage.
Chapter 6, Colossal Combat, page 270. Since it's something not present in the previously mentioned books, here's chapter preview:
- Piloting a Titan Rig
- Titan Rig Combat
- Titan Rig Power (supply, and how it works).
- Sample Titagn Rigs and Colossal Monsters
Chapter 7, Equipment, page 282.
Chapter 8, Foes and Fiends, page 306. Not too many monsters (each takes a page, with some illustrations taking also toll on the count): 25. To be fair, some monsters are actually monster groupings.
Chapter 9, GM Guide, page 352.

So, assuming that you're for the content, and not the art (it's beautiful, and the layout is simply stellar - almost on the par with the Numenera), is the book worth it?

If you have a taste for fantasy, and you haven't invested already in 5E, 4E, 13th Age, the answer is most likely yes.

If you care about the setting:
Ma and Pa wanted to have babies, totally-not-Menilboean-Elves (with Protoss uplink), two-meter-tall-furry-not-Dwarves and lackluster-as-usual-but-of-course-on-the-rise-humans. Pa had a middle-age crisis, went off to buy some cigs and never returned. Ma pined for him, then decided to punish kids for being too noisy and too quarrelsome and almost accidentally killed them... yes, it gets dark - the kids pooled resources, picked knives and killed Ma.
Pa felt it in the ether, suddenly returned and declared end of days by fusing spirit world (that accidentally also housed demons of Id) and material world. He also punished the kids - broke Protoss uplink, granted rage issues to not-Dwarves and finally indirectly taught humans how to turn themselves into self-inflicted cyborgs (it's a fourth race, not an actual upgrade for humans).

If you're just looking for a game to have fun:
Unity is like a friend who tries too hard. Reach out to them, tell them to drop some of the stuff and it should work great for both of you. Otherwise, you may get buried under mechanical details (no, icons don't make a game interface great). Be prepared to do some work - despite the long intro, there is almost no ready-to-use in-game material (NPCs, scenarios, locations) - the Ruin section is a bit over a page and a half. Finally, the game follows a lot of fantasy tropes - don't expect it to surprise you.

Brace yourself, some random downsides are coming:
1. My PDF is copy-locked. If you're looking to copy/paste text, too bad.
2. A location is a wall of text. When I compare it to Cavaliers of Mars hardcover I get also Hooks, Characters and Hazards.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ruemere

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases