D&D 5E New Uses for Tools

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
My one critique would be the gambling DCs. Assuming an intelligence of 20 and proficiency of +3, it would be impossible to ever lose money. I would consider raising those DCS so that even with a high bonus, there's still a chance to lose.

discosoc

First Post
Your alchemist section reminds me of one I setup a few weeks ago...

Basically, alchemy creates potions based on arcane spells, and herbalism creates potions based on healing effects (plus some "unique" examples). Crafting is handled via the normal magic crafting system, although alchemy has a DC based on the spell level. Otherwise, it's just a matter of finding the right materials and having enough time to craft it. Here you go:

Alchemy and Herbalism

Alchemy
Alchemical potions in Northwinter tend to duplicate magical -- usually arcane -- effects, but are not considered magical items. They are only rarely sold, but can be crafted by someone proficient with alchemist's supplies and ingredients. For simplification, ingredients are gathered with either an Investigation check in a city, or with a Survival check in the wilds. Both attempts represent about half a day's worth of searching. The table below shows the DC needed to find ingredients for each rarity of potion, the cost to purchase if found in a city, and the cost of a finished potion for determining crafting time and market price. Some regions and cities will adjust the DC for finding ingredients.

Nature DCInvestigation DCCostValue
Common15202550
Uncommon2025125250
Rare25301,2502,500
Very Rare303512,50025,000
Legendaryn/an/a

All potions in the GM's guide except for healing potions and potions of vitality are considered alchemical. Additionally, alchemical potions based on arcane spells can be crafted. For the purpose of determining crafting time and item value, spell levels one to three are considered uncommon, levels four and five are considered rare, and six or higher are very rare. Unlike normal alchemical potions, these those based on spells are not guaranteed to be correctly crafted, and are often much more expensive to attempt. If the spell has a material component with a listed value, it cannot be used as a basis for portions. If the spell has a negative side effect as part of the casting, it is applied to the person who drinks the potion. The initial DC for crafting these unique potions is 5 per spell level. Failure results in a loss of all expenses and materials.
For example, crafting an alchemical potion based on the wizard spell "Remove Curse" would have a DC of 15 for being 3rd level, cost 125 gold in acquired materials, and take 10 days to complete. If the alchemist wanted to craft a potion based on the wizard spell "Dream," it would have a DC of 30 for being a 6th level spell, cost 1250 gold in acquired materials, and take 100 days to complete.

Herbalism

Like alchemy, herbalism offers a way to craft potions and salves which sometimes mimic spell effects. They are generally much easier to craft, the ingredients are a bit easier to come by, and it requires an herbalism kit to attempt. Otherwise, the process is much the same. For simplification, ingredients are gathered with either an Investigation check in a city, or with a Survival check in the wilds. Both attempts represent about half a day's worth of searching. The table below shows the DC needed to find ingredients for each rarity of potion, the cost to purchase if found in a city, and the cost of a finished potion for determining crafting time and market price.

Nature DCInvestigation DCCostValue
Common10152550
Uncommon1520125250
Rare20251,2502,500
Very Rare253012,50025,000
Legendaryn/an/a

Crafting herbalism potions is done using the normal rules for crafting magic items in the GM's guide. The following is a list of potions and salves that can be crafted, including rarity.

Potion of Healing (common)
This dark-red liquid heals 2d4+2 hit points when consumed.

Antitoxin (common)
This clear liquid provides advantage to saving throws against poison for 1 hour.

Acid (common)
Deals 2d6 acid damage.

Potion of Greater Healing (uncommon)
This dark-red liquid heals for 4d4+4 hit points.

Flask of Light (uncommon)
Once exposed to air, the clear liquid glows with the light of a torch for 30 minutes. It can be splashed around or the clear flask can be resealed to act as a light source. If consumed, sweat, feces, and urine will all glow lightly for the next 8 hours. In addition to situational effects, this will give disadvantage to steal checks as a result of a slight sheen to the skin.

Spirit Tea (uncommon)
This herbal mixture must be brought to a boil before drinking. You ignore 1 level of exhaustion for the next 8 hours.

Potion of Alertness (uncommon)
When you drink this light green potion, you have advantage to your passive perception for the next hour.

Soldier's Balm (uncommon)
This thick oil can be applied to a wounded character during a short rest, increasing the healing gained by 3 per hit dice spent. Each balm has enough for 4 applications.

Potion of Superior Healing (rare)
This dark-red liquid heals for 8d4+8 hit points.

Potion of Cure Disease (rare)
This dark grey liquid moves with life, and cures one disease within an hour of consuming.

Tea of the Unburdened Mind (rare)
This herbal mixture must be brought to a boil before drinking. It restores 1 spell slot of up to level 3. The effects cannot be gained again until a full night's rest.

Potion of Supreme Healing (very rare)
This dark-red liquid heals for 8d4+8 hit points.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Nicely done and workable into a campaign as a DT Action I could even see the following:

Thieves Tools having included a small lump of soft clay like material that could be used to make an impression of a key that could the used to make a duplicate key, maybe acid for melting through locks,

@discosoc Would Create Antidote for a sample of a poison be included in your Alchemy or Herbalism rules

I'll see if I can find my old notes on the additions I made for old 3.5e Rogues kit...

discosoc

First Post
Would Create Antidote for a sample of a poison be included in your Alchemy or Herbalism rules

For my rules, I'd probably handle that as a simple Healer's Kit check, maybe at half the DC of harvesting it (or no check, just one usage). Alchemy is more for pseudo-magical effects, and herbalism is more for "natural potions" based on actual herbs. The healer's kit seems like a perfect fit for creating antidotes for specific poisons (as opposed to the "antitoxin" potion that's generic).

Remove ads