D&D 5E Good Smoke Rules?

Chocolategravy

First Post
I don't have a good grasp on the lethality of smoke, but I know it's a lot more of a problem than the current rules make it out to be. Things like eversmoking bottle impose nothing but obscurement for instance. I've pulled out Flash Point before but it isn't ideal for a lot of situations.

I think something like...
- potential to incapacitate
- potential to kill
- potential to blind temporarily
- potential to confuse
- other effects based on type of smoke
- be able to adjust rate

For instance in a typical case where a dungeon has been filled with smoke, PCs should have no chance of being incapacitated immediately but after 10 rounds of exposure they should show signs of being weakened and some may be incapacitated. Thick smoke should effectively blind (which weirdly doesn't reduce movement.)

Throwing this into a skill challenge wouldn't work as there can be combat involved. The suffocation rules are fine for a sitting character but horrible for an active one and I don't even want to use them for suffocation. Holding your breath for 6 minutes while running around and fighting is Superman levels of silly.

I'm tempted to use the exhaustion rules with a save every round with a DC 10 CON ABILITY check for "normal" thick smoke, going up from there for thicker or more toxic smoke. This exhaustion is removed at 1 level per round while not breathing smoke. However, while it parallels other games version of smoke rules, I don't like it all that much. Anyone have a better one?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Don't forget that "blind" means you have disadvantage (PHB pg 7 & 173).

Also, think I would use poison rules for dangerous smoke, rolling every round.

Last edited:

Scorpio616

First Post
Don't forget that "blind" means you have disadvantage (PHB pg 7 & 173).

Also, think I would use poison rules for dangerous smoke, rolling every round.
Except is it not the case that since you are also unseen by your foe, you would be granted advantage, canceling both Disadvantage and Advantage out.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Exhaustion is probably the greatest, and I like [MENTION=371]Hand of Evil[/MENTION]'s idea for using the Poisoned condition.

You might make a new version of the suffocation rules -- something along the lines of "Every round you are holding your breath and engaged in strenuous activity, make a DC 10 Con save. Failure means you are forced to take a breath and suffer the effects of whatever you breathe in."

And the smoke, when breathed in, causes whatever effects you like -- Exahsution, poison, some level of stunning/nauseation/slow, whaver feels right to you.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
And don't forget that if they're breathing in heavy/toxic smoke they're probably coughing their lungs out as well. Disadvantage on everything, at least, IMO.

Remove ads