Sword Coast Legends vs. Divinity Original Sin.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Why would you pick one over the other?

It looks like Sword Coast Legends basically copied Divinity because the gameplay looks almost identical.

I was under the impression that SCL was supposed to be unique.

DaveDash

Explorer
I got bored of divinity due to the boring powers system and lack of party diversity. SCL is nothing like DOS, it has a DM mode to start with.

pukunui

Legend
I've never even heard of the other one. What is it?

That being said, the OP sounds like a not-so-subtle dig at SCL. Out of curiosity, what gave you the impression the game was supposed to be "unique", and what makes you think it won't be, despite looking similar to another game? Won't the story be different? Won't the specific characters and abilities be different? So what if the UI or the style of play is similar to another game. Originality is hard to come by these days and has been for some time.

Wik

First Post
Honestly? Neither - Fallout 4 for the win!

But, to answer the question - does it matter? There are a LOT of games that have similarities to one another. I think SCL looks to be an interesting product, and it doesn't seem to step on too many toes. It'll be cool to see what happens when it comes out, but honestly, I don't see it being one that I'll play. If I want to play a group game, I'll play D&D or a board game, or maybe The Division when it finally comes out. Or continue playing Titanfall. Mostly, though, my Xbox is for single-player gaming, such as skyrim, or vs mode play, such as Titanfall.

SCL is neither, and probably won't get much play. But who knows? Maybe I'll be proven wrong, and become a total addict.

1. The gameplay in neither is unique. Isometric RPGs have been around since the early nineties, possibly earlier with Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment.
2. I would pick them both for different reasons. I would pick Divinity for the well crafted, easily exploitable gameworld with its unique characters and stack able abilities. I would pick Sword Coast Legends to scratch my DM itch and play with a D&D system in a video game.

But honestly, I would really pick Pillars of Eternity. Same type of game, absolutely incredible story and gameplay.

rollingForInit

First Post
SCL cannot be unique, and I doubt it's intended to be that. It's obviously meant to attract at least partially fans of old games like Baldur's Gate 2. Just like Divinity and Pillars of Eternity.

I grew tired of both Divinity and Pillars after a while, though. Not sure why, exactly, but ...

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Original Sin and Sword Coast Legends are essentially different CRPGs. I see SCL as a spiritual successor of Neverwinter Nights with it's ability to make your own dungeons/stories and the ability to DM. DOS is more of a classic single player RPG, which by the way is highly rated.

SCL isn't out yet and DOS is getting a massive overhaul in Oktober (there's a KS running for DOS2). Wait for some good reviews and some let's plays before making a decision. I suspect that many fans of CRPGs will buy both (if it's any good).

I suspect that DOS will be the better game, it's already highly rated and the overhaul will just keep adding to the 'value' of the game. SCL is a licensed game, there's a reason why Bioware didn't do a Neverwinter Nights 2 and Obsidian didn't do a Neverwinter Nights 3... It's a licensed IP, there's more money to be made developing your own IP after you've shown folks what you can do with someone else's IP... Larian is developing it's own IP and has a whole range of games based on it.

I'm currently hesitant of SCL, the ideas are great, it looks good, but I'll wait for a few good reviews before forking over $60/$150 (no way to upgrade the standard edition and a DM needs his beholder;-)

Remove ads