Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, John Rogers, and Ryan Macklin Play FATE CORE!

While the show Tabletop normally focuses on boardgames, it occasionally dips into tabletop roleplaying games. A couple of years ago, Will Wheaton and his friends played Green Ronin's Dragon AGE; and now they've turned their attention to Evil Hat's Fate Core. This episode of Tabletop features Felicia Day, screenwriter John Rogers, Will Wheaton, and GM (and co-designer of Fate) Ryan Macklin. Wheaton describes Fate as the gold standard of games which let the rules get out of the way so as to focus on the story.

While the show Tabletop normally focuses on boardgames, it occasionally dips into tabletop roleplaying games. A couple of years ago, Will Wheaton and his friends played Green Ronin's Dragon AGE; and now they've turned their attention to Evil Hat's Fate Core. This episode of Tabletop features Felicia Day, screenwriter John Rogers, Will Wheaton, and GM (and co-designer of Fate) Ryan Macklin. Wheaton describes Fate as the gold standard of games which let the rules get out of the way so as to focus on the story.

[video=youtube;NOFXtAHg7vU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFXtAHg7vU[/video]

attachment.php

Celebrim

Legend
Sometimes it makes me think the game should be called Meta instead, since the players spend a lot of time talking about the story instead of playing in the story.

This is the huge turnoff for me reading FATE's examples of play and then watching it actually play out that way in the game. My impression from the text that the experience of game play was a lot like being a team of writer's working collectively on a screen play rather than being immersed in a story-world, feels born out by the video. But, that's still a tentative conclusion because watching a game being played is such a different experience than actually being in it.

I mean, I felt that Felicia Day was actually a quite skilled player (and had rather less flattering impression of Wil Wheaton), but that the system kept getting in her way. Maybe that's just because she's learning the system and things would go more smoothly the longer they played.

Also, the FUDGE dice mechanic is just painful... and meaningless most of the time (and pretty much all the time that it is not a resisted roll). I wondered often why they bothered with it, since it seems to mostly exist as a dice ritual in a game that is largely diceless in resolution.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I suppose from an objective perspective there is not, but depending on what you want from play, you might not subjectively enjoy it.

I suppose it can be played in a more traditional way as well. I bet it depends on the GM.

I'd love to participate in few FATE, Fiasco, Dread, and so forth sessions with a good GM just to expand my skillset as a GM. Watching the video really impressed on me how fortunate I was early on to learn from quality GMs. But I don't have a ton of range and we've had all these alternative ideas about how a game works emerge since I've started running games.

Not surprised that actors prefer a more free-form and story-expressive RPG system. I think for them it's 90% character development & story and 10% adventure & action resolution. Which is fine if that's what you like to do.

Aldarc

Legend
This is the huge turnoff for me reading FATE's examples of play and then watching it actually play out that way in the game. My impression from the text that the experience of game play was a lot like being a team of writer's working collectively on a screen play rather than being immersed in a story-world, feels born out by the video. But, that's still a tentative conclusion because watching a game being played is such a different experience than actually being in it.
They looked incredibly immersed in a story-world roleplaying their characters to me. It just seems that they were filling out the backstory of their characters as they were going along, which is fairly common place in a lot of D&D games that I have experienced. I also have had a number of D&D GMs who would even give their players the liberty to describe, "Okay, you take out the foe; describe it in detail," much like what we see with the Fate group.

I mean, I felt that Felicia Day was actually a quite skilled player (and had rather less flattering impression of Wil Wheaton), but that the system kept getting in her way. Maybe that's just because she's learning the system and things would go more smoothly the longer they played.
Ha! The "system kept getting in the way" could be described for just about every RP system that I have ever played or GMed. I do think that it tends to become less of an issue the more comfortable you are with a system and its limitations.

Also, the FUDGE dice mechanic is just painful... and meaningless most of the time (and pretty much all the time that it is not a resisted roll). I wondered often why they bothered with it, since it seems to mostly exist as a dice ritual in a game that is largely diceless in resolution.
This is where I would recommend playing so you can experience for yourself how "meaningless most of the time" dice rolls are in Fate.

JesterOC

Explorer

I mostly DM D&D (lots and lots over the years) but I have run several FATE games (Mostly Dresden FATE games). And I can say that the players act about the same in both games. Except in Fate games the rules just get out of the way, where in D&D the rules often define what the players attempt.

For instance in D&D when a player says "I push him to the side and kick out and break his leg" I tell explain that she can use a shove action to knock them prone with one attack and then use their second attack at advantage. Both times this was requested the players opted to just attack twice because the prone attack followed by a non weapon attack was very wimpy compared to two long sword attacks.

In Fate when this request was made again (same person) It was treated as a normal attack, she rolled very well and the NPC checked their In Peril condition and Snap went their leg!

At least those are my experiences with both systems.

Celebrim

Legend
For instance in D&D when a player says "I push him to the side and kick out and break his leg" I tell explain that she can use a shove action to knock them prone with one attack and then use their second attack at advantage. Both times this was requested the players opted to just attack twice because the prone attack followed by a non weapon attack was very wimpy compared to two long sword attacks.

In Fate when this request was made again (same person) It was treated as a normal attack, she rolled very well and the NPC checked their In Peril condition and Snap went their leg!

At least those are my experiences with both systems.

I don't have time at the moment to get into this at length, but this is exactly what I mean about FATE tends to suggest that resolution doesn't matter.

Isn't it reasonable that play ground antics like trying to pushing someone over and then kick them is a lot less lethal of an action than attacking with intent with a murderous weapon like a longsword? If you were facing a lethal enemy, which tactic would you prefer that they attempt? I have no doubt in my mind about which attack I'd be less able to defend against, and which would threaten my life more severely. Why would you try that when you have a bloody longsword in your hand?

There are circumstances when it makes sense, I had a player in a D&D game dropkick a zombie off a cliff, which was a much more effective attack than trying to hack at it with a longsword. But then, in that case, it's also obvious that it actually is.

Moreover, you can absolutely see this playing out in the game in the video repeatedly, as John adopts an approach to the game that involves straight forward attacks that highly leverage the rules and don't give the GM any room to mess with the attack itself, while Wil and Felicia repeatedly try more complexly described attacks that don't leverage the rules much and their complex description of these attacks just end up prompting the GM to improvise just how they've gotten burned in response to the extra details that they added. Despite Wil wanting to play a combat centric character, his character really doesn't come off nearly as cool in combat as John's, because the GM continues to match his moves with what to all appearances are improvised responses. In fact, even when Wil succeeds on his dice rolls, there is a tendency to see 'success with complications results' precisely because of his attempts to do things like "I push him to the side and kick out and break his leg".

Real narrative force requires that the player be able to predict to some extent what the result of their proposition actually is, and have a sense with how reliable it might be. In FATE, a player's 'stunt' is an example of that sort of narrative package. But in general, compared to say a D&D spell-caster, FATE characters actually have very little narrative force IMO. Players have great freedom with regard to constructing their propositions, but all those propositions are generally as meaningless as FATE's success track. The vast majority of the character is actually passive with respect to the narration because it's dependent solely on the GM's whim. While it might make sense in the context of FATE that the result of legendary +12 success on a fight check is not only that you defeat the foe, but you get dragged off to hell on the GM's whim for 'reasons' that would amount to GM metagaming in any other context, don't tell me that however cool that scene is, it is actually a representation of a player having narrative force rather than GM railroading.

Brodie

Explorer
Real narrative force requires that the player be able to predict to some extent what the result of their proposition actually is, and have a sense with how reliable it might be. In FATE, a player's 'stunt' is an example of that sort of narrative package. But in general, compared to say a D&D spell-caster, FATE characters actually have very little narrative force IMO. Players have great freedom with regard to constructing their propositions, but all those propositions are generally as meaningless as FATE's success track. The vast majority of the character is actually passive with respect to the narration because it's dependent solely on the GM's whim. While it might make sense in the context of FATE that the result of legendary +12 success on a fight check is not only that you defeat the foe, but you get dragged off to hell on the GM's whim for 'reasons' that would amount to GM metagaming in any other context, don't tell me that however cool that scene is, it is actually a representation of a player having narrative force rather than GM railroading.

GM railroading? With a petty GM or a GM that has a set story in mind, sure.

'Meaningless success track' is a definitely a matter of perception; in Fate there's success and then there's success with style, where you have so many shifts of success beyond the target number. Those shifts can allow you to do extra stuff. Let's say the target for kicking out someone's leg is two. The attacker somehow gets that +12 on their attack. Now, if they're attacking an NPC, the NPC's going to fill their their wound markers and take the rest as Consequences. A generic, no-name henchmen is more than likely going to suffer that broken leg. Maybe two broken legs, depending on the GM.

As for meaningless dice mechanics, I'm assuming you mean the 'succeed at a cost' mechanic? "Sure, you didn't hit the target number but you could still succeed. It'll cost you, though." Player wants to break down the door with their shoulder. Target is 3, but player gets -1. If it was me running it, I'd tell the player they can succeed at a cost or just fail. If they choose to succeed, I'd tell them they broke the door open but take four wounds. If they don't want the wounds and want to mark off their moderate consequence, I'd suggest they dislocated their shoulder.

Fate is a game that focuses on story over mechanics. With the right group it can be a joy. It's not a great fit for those that want to know what's mechanically possible.

JesterOC

Explorer
Isn't it reasonable that play ground antics like trying to pushing someone over and then kick them is a lot less lethal of an action than attacking with intent with a murderous weapon like a longsword? If you were facing a lethal enemy, which tactic would you prefer that they attempt? I have no doubt in my mind about which attack I'd be less able to defend against, and which would threaten my life more severely. Why would you try that when you have a bloody longsword in your hand?

In FATE they do have weapon damage so yes attacking with a longsword will do more than attacking with your fist. So that is an option, as do why someone wants to do it. Most likely it is because that is how they envision the situation. Perhaps they are already grappled and the idea of using a longsword makes no sense. Perhaps they don't want to cut their guts out, perhaps they want to incapacitate them so they can be interrogated after the fight.

There are circumstances when it makes sense, I had a player in a D&D game dropkick a zombie off a cliff, which was a much more effective attack than trying to hack at it with a longsword. But then, in that case, it's also obvious that it actually is.
Same as in FATE

Moreover, you can absolutely see this playing out in the game in the video repeatedly, as John adopts an approach to the game that involves straight forward attacks that highly leverage the rules and don't give the GM any room to mess with the attack itself, while Wil and Felicia repeatedly try more complexly described attacks that don't leverage the rules much and their complex description of these attacks just end up prompting the GM to improvise just how they've gotten burned in response to the extra details that they added. Despite Wil wanting to play a combat centric character, his character really doesn't come off nearly as cool in combat as John's, because the GM continues to match his moves with what to all appearances are improvised responses. In fact, even when Wil succeeds on his dice rolls, there is a tendency to see 'success with complications results' precisely because of his attempts to do things like "I push him to the side and kick out and break his leg".

But I trust you on this. I do remember that for a Fighter Wil often choose sub optimal behaviors. But I don't recall the GM doing anything punitive with it. What I noticed most is that they cut out most of all the talk explaining the mechanics. It left me wondering what / how they were justifying some things. That was frustrating. After doing that a few times I paid less attention to the mechanics.

Real narrative force requires that the player be able to predict to some extent what the result of their proposition actually is, and have a sense with how reliable it might be.

Agreed.

In FATE, a player's 'stunt' is an example of that sort of narrative package. But in general, compared to say a D&D spell-caster, FATE characters actually have very little narrative force IMO. Players have great freedom with regard to constructing their propositions, but all those propositions are generally as meaningless as FATE's success track. The vast majority of the character is actually passive with respect to the narration because it's dependent solely on the GM's whim.

This has absolutely no semblance to any FATE game I have played.

While it might make sense in the context of FATE that the result of legendary +12 success on a fight check is not only that you defeat the foe, but you get dragged off to hell on the GM's whim for 'reasons' that would amount to GM metagaming in any other context, don't tell me that however cool that scene is, it is actually a representation of a player having narrative force rather than GM railroading.

I view that portion of the video very differently. It appears that you view it as the GM deciding on a whim that the player who rocked the Big Bag should get penalized for no reason. I see it as two separate actions. 1) The player slammed the big bad. 2) The GM compelled the player's trouble to give him a FATE point back. The player's trouble was Better living through chemistry. Since the player choose as his trouble, in essence he had some narrative control in that. And if he wanted to he could just turn it down.

Last edited by a moderator:

jedijon

Explorer
Roleplay - more fun to do than to watch.

Thanks for doing this (people in the video who won't be reading this) and thanks for posting.

I definitely want my roleplay to be about story telling and I loved the collaboration on display here. Repeatedly the GM hands them a marker and say "tell me what happens", "who was that?", and makes it about THE CHARACTERS!

This is so much better than the idiom "what do you do" in response to block text intro (as if just setting the table was enough to make the meal!) followed by "and now let's roll INIT"!

But, what struck me was:
-they win, like everything they want to do they did--just in interesting/complex ways...like it's too easy to shoot this guy...but you can battle him in hell
-AD&D or ADD? Wheaton resorts to eating the paper because
-what's exciting is actually boring...Felecia is going mega-mundane with the heartfelt reunion and he tags on "let's do this later"
-days are saved...the guy playing Thackeray closes out on a big interesting rhyming monologue that puts down "angel of death" EMTs and Portland hipsters.

So, yeah I'd probably play with them. Is FATE Core the answer to my gaming woes? Naw. Simplifying rules is better surely-because neither 2, 3, or 4 edition of D&D is an interesting boardgame so just mechanics doesn't justify the time spent. Heck a ton of competitive asymmetric boardgames feel contrived too. Cuz constant hero triumph with trivial setbacks isn't cool at-all. But much of the "you take 7 damage" and the "you have big character sheet" book-keeping is gone. Yeah? Watching it shows just moments of the truly emergent awesome. Playing probably was more thrilling as each player was given so many opportunities to advance the story that must've been a cool brain buzz for them.

thzero

First Post
Simplifying rules is better surely-because neither 2, 3, or 4 edition of D&D is an interesting boardgame so just mechanics doesn't justify the time spent.

Huh? Btw, 1st and 2nd were interchangable.

But much of the "you take 7 damage" and the "you have big character sheet" book-keeping is gone. Yeah?

Oh no, can't have a tad bit of work associated with your 'game'. Updating a character sheet is so tedious, it might get in the way of someone watching a video with some buffons playing a roleplaying game. ::aghast::

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads