My Attempt to Define RPG's - RPG's aren't actually Games

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
GM: You're at the Hardby market. A peddler of trinkets says he has an angel feather for sale, recovered from the Bright Desert.

Player: I use Aura Reading to inspect the feather.

<check made, fails>

GM: the feather is cursed . . .

Here's another example:

GM: You come to a Large Steading that Reeks of Smoke and Worse.

Player: I climb to the top of the pallisade to gain an Overview of the Steading.

<check is made, succeeds>

GM: You're on top of the steading pallisade. You see the hall and some outbuildings.

Player: Is one of them a barn?

GM: Yes.

Player: I sneak into the barn and lead out the ox!

<check is made, succeeds>

Player: I lead the ox into the hall and offer to sell it to the giant chieftain.

<check is made, fails>

GM: The giant chieftain asks whether you think he's a fool, trying to sell him his own cattle!

Players can take the initiative - suggestions, creations, initiating checks. That's one way to play RPGs.
In the above, I've coloured all the bits that are set-up/creation. (and in the giant steading example there seems to be an awful lot missing such as visual descriptions, narrations, etc. - if this is all that was actually said this seems like a very sparse game. But, I digress...) The uncoloured bits are play.

Treating creation as if its a prelude to play, rather than part of play, is you and [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] projecting a narrow style of play onto RPGing as a whole.
Creation is a prelude to play even if it occurs during play - that's the bit you can't seem to grasp here. The player creates the ox (set-up) then uses that ox in play by leading it into (what he hopes is) the chieftain's hall.

The player creates the pallisade in the same sentence he has his PC climb up said pallisade. Set-up and play happen simultaneously here.

Lanefan

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Where did the "fish vendor" come from? What page of the rules has a fish vendor? SOMEONE had to create that fish vendor. Whether it's the DM, or the players, someone at the table had to create that information before you could play it out. Your entire example is replete with the players creating material, that is not actually part of the game itself, in order to have something to play.

Let's see you play without creating anything before playing it out. Is it developed in play? Sure. I've agreed with that multiple times. But, EVERY SINGLE TIME, the players (whether one or all the players at the table) MUST CREATE SCENERIOS before play progresses. You simply cannot play an RPG without that.

Creating the fish vendor comes from the PCs. Players in [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game create goals, such as "I want to free my brother from the Balrog." and the like. That's all the set-up his game has. The rest of it is like Pictionary. Where Pictionary tells you what to draw and then you create within that framework, the goals set forth by the players on their PCs informs [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] on what types of things to improvise and then he creates within THAT framework.

He doesn't have to create before playing it out. He creates as a part of play. In [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION]'s example, he did not create the fish vendor and then have the PCs go there. He created the fish vendor as the PCs walked there. Play and creation are done together in that style of play.

So, you agree that not all set up is the same. That there are different kinds of set up. So, that make the difference I've been saying all the way along. Not all set up is the same. RPG's share a kind of set up that is not shared in any other game

My very first post on this subject was that almost all games have set-up, but RPG creation is longer and more involved that most. I never said that the different kinds of set-up were the same or equal. That was all you reading things into my words that just plain weren't there.

Can you play Pictionary without drawing a picture? No, or at least, not very well. But, the drawing is not part of set-up. Set up is picking the word. Drawing the picture is simply playing the game. And, again, you are 100% following the mechanics of the game in doing so. You are not bringing in anything that is not specifically talked about by the game.

Drawing is not part of the set-up, but it is creation. This is identical in how it plays out to [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s style of play. In his game the creation of the bazaar with the angel feather was not set-up, either. It was creation that happened as a part of playing the game, withing the framework set up by the players. No scenario is created as a part of set-up with his playstyle.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Creating the fish vendor comes from the PCs. Players in [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s game create goals, such as "I want to free my brother from the Balrog." and the like. That's all the set-up his game has. The rest of it is like Pictionary. Where Pictionary tells you what to draw and then you create within that framework, the goals set forth by the players on their PCs informs [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] on what types of things to improvise and then he creates within THAT framework.

He doesn't have to create before playing it out. He creates as a part of play. In [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION]'s example, he did not create the fish vendor and then have the PCs go there. He created the fish vendor as the PCs walked there. Play and creation are done together in that style of play.

My very first post on this subject was that almost all games have set-up, but RPG creation is longer and more involved that most. I never said that the different kinds of set-up were the same or equal. That was all you reading things into my words that just plain weren't there.

Drawing is not part of the set-up, but it is creation. This is identical in how it plays out to [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s style of play. In his game the creation of the bazaar with the angel feather was not set-up, either. It was creation that happened as a part of playing the game, withing the framework set up by the players. No scenario is created as a part of set-up with his playstyle.

Technically, the player proposes the fish vendor and the mechanics validate or reject it. The GM here is doing nothing except narrating that validation or rejection. Essentially, the GM gets to play when the players fail.

pemerton

Legend
Where did the "fish vendor" come from? What page of the rules has a fish vendor? SOMEONE had to create that fish vendor. Whether it's the DM, or the players, someone at the table had to create that information before you could play it out.

<snip>

Let's see you play without creating anything before playing it out.
Where did the peddler come from? Where did the feather come from? Where did the Bright Desert come from? What rules of D&D or whatever system you are using, did you draw those from?

None. You had to create that scenario - talking to the peddler with an alleged angel feather before play could progress. Without that, you cannot play.

Every single example you bring up Pemerton simply proves my point. Creation precedes play.
What differentiates RPGs from other games?

Each player (except, perhaps, for one special player, if the RPG has a GM in the traditional sense) has, as his/her "piece", a character who is understood to be a component of a shared fiction - all the participants in the game, as part of playing the game, imagine a world in which these characters are inhabitants. A player's moves consist in declaring actions for this character, which aren't just moves in the traditional boardgame sense, but are also understood as intentions to change the fiction that this character is part of.

Another, distinct set of "moves" consists in establishing the rst of the shared fiction beyond these characers and their players' action declarations. In most RPGs on the traditional model, the GM does this.

The rules of the game (which may include various sorts of "mechanics", but may also confer direct authority on one participant to sauy what the shared fiction shall be) are used to help determine the outcomes of these moves.
The self-quote is from the first page of this thread. I was the first poster in this thread to identify creation of a shared fiction as a key element in RPGing.

That's not in dispute.

What's in dispute is what I have bolded in the two quotes from [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]: that creation is preparation for play rather than, itself, a key component of RPG play.

No argument in favour of that proposition has been put forward in this thread. It's not true to my own experience. And it seems to rest on an unsound generalisation from two ways of playing D&D: (i) the GM draws a dungeon map and writes notes, and the heart of play is the players declaring moves that enable them to learn what the GM created and thereby make it true, in the fiction, that their PCs are looting the dungeon; (ii) the GM writes up a series of events - a scenario, like DL or any of dozens of post-DL modules/APs - and then the players "play through" the adventure.

But as far as my own episodes of play, which I've posted an linked to are concerned: when I tell the players, ie my friends, who are sitting with me about a dining room table, "You're at a market in Hardby. A peddler of trinkets has an angel feather for sale. He says its from the Bright Desert," I'm not getting ready to play. I'm playing the game. I've just made a "move" in the game, namely, establishing some piece of shared fiction that is also an invitation to them to make "moves", by declaring actions for their PCs and thereby establishing some more shared fiction.

Set up is picking the word. Drawing the picture is simply playing the game. And, again, you are 100% following the mechanics of the game in doing so. You are not bringing in anything that is not specifically talked about by the game.
You seem to accept that drawing, in Pictionary, is simply playing the game. Why do you deny that the GM making stuff up in the course of playing a RPG is simply playing the game?

Why do you insist that playing is not playing? What do you think is at stake in framing that moment of my play as, in fact, preparatory to play?

(I can think of some possible answers - eg you don't regard anything which is not action declaration for a PC or NPC as a "move" in the game - but I'm curious as to what your actual answer is.)

There's a fairly simple way to illustrate the distinction here.

In a non-RPG, the rules answer the question, "What?" What are you going to do when you play this game? You are going to draw hints related to "Cagney and Lacey". You aren't going to change key words half way through. You aren't going to invent a new language in play. You are going to draw hints related to whatever key word the game tells you.

In an RPG, the rules answer the question, "How?" How are you going to adjudicate whatever it is you created? They don't tell you what
This isn't true. You yourself quoted the rules from Moldvay Basic, which tell the GM and players what is involved in playing a game: the GM will draw a dungeon map, and write up a catalogue-like description of its contents, in advance of play; and play will then consist of the players saying what things their PCs do to try and explore that dungeon and take the treasure out of it.

The rules for Burning Wheel, Prince Valiant and Marvel Heroic RP contain rules that occupy the same functional space, although the details of the instructions are different.

It's true the rules for Burning Wheel don't say "Tell the players they're in a market with a peddler." It's equally true that the rules for Pictionary don't tell you, when drawing a picture in response to the card that says "knife", you should draw a serrated or a non-serrated knife. Playing Pictionary has an inelinimable element of making stuff up. Playing a RPG has a bigger, more expansive element of making stuff up. That's what playing the game consists in.

(Also, the last sentence in this quote is consistent with a conjecture that you only regard action resolution as actually playing a RPG. If that's the case, it would probably help the thread if you state it clearly, plus your reasons for thinking this.)

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
In the above, I've coloured all the bits that are set-up/creation. (and in the giant steading example there seems to be an awful lot missing such as visual descriptions, narrations, etc. - if this is all that was actually said this seems like a very sparse game. But, I digress...) The uncoloured bits are play.

Creation is a prelude to play even if it occurs during play - that's the bit you can't seem to grasp here. The player creates the ox (set-up) then uses that ox in play by leading it into (what he hopes is) the chieftain's hall.

The player creates the pallisade in the same sentence he has his PC climb up said pallisade. Set-up and play happen simultaneously here.

Lanefan

Where, in your example, does the DM play? This is another problem with your concept -- the DM doesn't ever play the game.

To look at Blades in the Dark, again, here's the list of who gets to make the call on what:

[URL="https://bladesinthedark.com/core-system" said:
Blades SRD[/URL]]
Judgment calls

When you play, you’ll make several key judgment calls. Everyone contributes, but either the players or the GM gets final say for each:

• Which actions are reasonable as a solution to a problem? Can this person be swayed? Must we get out the tools and tinker with this old rusty lock, or could it also be quietly finessed? The players have final say.
  • How dangerous and how effective is a given action in this circumstance? How risky is this? Can this person be swayed very little or a whole lot? The GM has final say.
  • Which consequences are inflicted to manifest the dangers in a given circumstance? Does this fall from the roof break your leg? Do the constables merely become suspicious or do they already have you trapped? The GM has final say.
  • Does this situation call for a dice roll, and which one? Is your character in position to make an action roll or must they first make a resistance roll to gain initiative? The GM has final say.
  • Which events in the story match the experience triggers for character and crew advancement? Did you express your character’s beliefs, drives, heritage, or background? You tell us. The players have final say.
As you can see, the players have quite a bit of discretion in dictating how play goes. They have the final say on what can be done. The GM gets to moderate that with how hard what can be done is and what consequences occur (and, not listed here, is there's a player mechanic for denying consequences) and when a roll is needed. So, the players dictate what is happening, the GM sets if there's a check and how hard that check is and what happens if it fails. Otherwise, the players are calling the shots through their play.

Now, Blades has a setting that's intricately tied to the mechanics. Everything has repercussions, essentially, and the setting is a strong element of play. But, even there, the setting is very high level because what those details actually are is meant to be determined by the players through play. So, even single game of Blades is unique in setting, because the sketch given is filled in by the players, not the GM, and it's done during play.

For what it's worth, the thing that sold me on Blades is 'this is a game where you play scoundrels doing bad things, usually to other bad people. If you want, you can have a criminal enterprise that involves selling drugs to ghosts.' It turns out that selling drugs to ghosts isn't something the rulebook has in it, but you can certainly have that happen in play. It's very, very different from D&D, but it totally scratches that itch for heist/skullduggery games that D&D struggles with. Don't get me wrong, I love 5e, but Blades does a very different thing. It's nice to have more than one toy, sometimes.

pemerton

Legend
Creation is a prelude to play even if it occurs during play - that's the bit you can't seem to grasp here.
You're mistaken - I understand what you're saying, I just know that it's not true.

Here's one way I know it's not true: X is set up for Y entails that X occurs prior to Y entails that X is not simultaneous with Y.

And also: X is a prelude to Y entails that X occurs prior to Y entails that X is not simultaneous with Y.

Your equation of creation with set-up is leading you into obvious contradiction. And there's an obvious solution: abandon that equation, and actually look at what is happening at the table where the game is being played.

The biggest obstacle to having serious discussions about how RPGs work is this tendency to insist on dogmatic frameworks that have no foundation in the full variety of RPG play. (Typically they idealised versions of a type of 70s or 80s D&D play. Which is weird in [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s case, because I know that he's played plenty of non-D&D RPGs.)

pemerton

Legend
Imagine a table playing classic dungeon-crawling D&D.

The PCs are in a corridor that is 100' long, with corners at each end leading in both cases to more dungeon with extensive corridors, rooms and contents.

When the players are halfway down the 100' long corridor the GM makes a wandering monster check. It comes up 6 (or 1, depending on the table's convention) and an encounter is called for. The GM rolls on the appropriate chart and gets 5 orcs. The GM calls for a surprise check - neither side is surprised. The GM rolls for encounter distance: it's 60', which means that the orcs are around one or the other corner. It seems likely that the PCs can hear them - no surpise has occureed, after all.

But before the GM narrates "You hear a group of people apparently not far around the corner . . .", s/he has to know which corner the orcs are around. To the best of my reclollection neither AD&D nor Moldvay Basic has a rule that willl tell the GM which corner the orcs are around. The GM has to make it up - either arbitrarily, or because one corner seems to make more sense given what the GM knows of the dungeon, or by rolling a die, or by some other means or combination of means.

During this whole process - which, with a skilled D&D referee shouldn't be taking more than a minute or so - what is the GM doing? S/he is playing D&D. Which is to say that s/he is playing a RPG.

This insisted-upon contrast between creation of fiction and playing a RPG is spurious.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Technically, the player proposes the fish vendor and the mechanics validate or reject it. The GM here is doing nothing except narrating that validation or rejection. Essentially, the GM gets to play when the players fail.

There are variations of that style I'm sure. The way [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] has described the game play with the angel feather, the players created goals for their PCs and he was able to introduce content leading towards those goals. He created the bazaar and angel feather in response to the PC goal of freeing his brother from the Balrog. [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] creation was just constrained by the players' vision, not restricted playing when they fail. The player then failed an arcana check I think it was and the feather turned out to be cursed as a consequence.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Where, in your example, does the DM play? This is another problem with your concept -- the DM doesn't ever play the game.
The DM plays the game during combat, and when role-playing one or more established NPCs either in or out of combat, and when adjudicating things specified under the rules. Most of the rest of what a DM usually does comes under set-up.

To look at Blades in the Dark, again, here's the list of who gets to make the call on what:

As you can see, the players have quite a bit of discretion in dictating how play goes. They have the final say on what can be done. The GM gets to moderate that with how hard what can be done is and what consequences occur (and, not listed here, is there's a player mechanic for denying consequences) and when a roll is needed. So, the players dictate what is happening, the GM sets if there's a check and how hard that check is and what happens if it fails. Otherwise, the players are calling the shots through their play.
So here the players are taking on some of the GM's set-up duties; and the GM is more of an adjudicator.

The same relative amount of set-up vs. play still occurs, only the people doing it and the times it is done are different than in a traditional game.

Now, Blades has a setting that's intricately tied to the mechanics. Everything has repercussions, essentially, and the setting is a strong element of play. But, even there, the setting is very high level because what those details actually are is meant to be determined by the players through play. So, even single game of Blades is unique in setting, because the sketch given is filled in by the players, not the GM, and it's done during play.
Anything to do with defining the setting is by definition set-up. Seems here that some high-level stuff is done by the GM ahead of time (choosing to use the default setting and all that follows from this choice) while the players - and maybe the GM to an extent - do the low-level set-up during play. Simple enough. :)

For what it's worth, the thing that sold me on Blades is 'this is a game where you play scoundrels doing bad things, usually to other bad people. If you want, you can have a criminal enterprise that involves selling drugs to ghosts.' It turns out that selling drugs to ghosts isn't something the rulebook has in it, but you can certainly have that happen in play. It's very, very different from D&D, but it totally scratches that itch for heist/skullduggery games that D&D struggles with. Don't get me wrong, I love 5e, but Blades does a very different thing. It's nice to have more than one toy, sometimes.
Cool. I've occasionally managed to do some heist/skullduggery stuff using 1e but yeah, the system does tend to fight back. :)

The question in reverse then becomes: is Blades flexible enough to decently run a Gygaxian dungeon crawl?

Lanefan

Remove ads