Galactic Civilizations 3 or Stellaris?

Goodsport

Explorer
Or perhaps concentrating on just one world like Age of Wonders 3?

Or even on a single archipelago like Tropico 6?

Or some other strategy, city-building and/or 4x game for my PC?

So many choices... :eek:

-G

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
4X (or "Grand Strategy" as I see it called now) is one of my favorite genres.

GC3 I never picked up. GC2 was flawed in my opinion - had high expectations and it didn't satisfy them, so I never picked up GC3.

Stellaris is a great sandbox but only a meh game. It's almost like you have to pick your own challenge to try to do and then go for that after you play a few times. Oh, it and it's may DLCs often go for half off on Steam.

Derren

Hero
Never really liked the GalCiv series. Imo its much too unfocussed.
Stellaris is nice, but its very noticeable that the genre is new for the publisher, thus they are struggling to get things right and are often doing big changes as their previous system didn't work as intended
Tropico 6 is nice. The multiple island feature doesn't add all that much, but the balance is a lot better than Tropico 5 and you do not have basically unlimited money once 1-2 production chains are set up. Also, the humor is spot on for the setting.

Don't forget that soon(ish) Planetfall will come out, the sci fi continuation of Age of Wonders.

Zardnaar

Legend
Stellaris was great. Megaccorp kinda wrecked it though as the AI can't handle the economy and is weaksauce later on and they didn't scale the Khan or crisis events.

Goodsport

Explorer
Thank you everyone for your help and input. :)

However, I made a mistake that I'm still kicking myself over:

I'd decided that if I got Stellaris, that I'd get the full experience and get all of its expansions and DLC's as well. Even by Sunday night, the prices of the base game and everything else were massively discounted but I nonetheless procrastinated. When I logged in Monday morning to finally purchase them, the sale was over and they were all at full price again. :eek:

So I ended up going with Tropico 6 instead.

I'll now likely have to wait quite a while before Stellaris and all of its expansions and DLC's are on sale again. :(

-G

Derren

Hero
I'll now likely have to wait quite a while before Stellaris and all of its expansions and DLC's are on sale again. :(

Unlikely. Paradox title are usually heavily discounted in every Steam Sale. I am sure around Easter there will be another one, either from Steam or Paradox.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'd decided that if I got Stellaris, that I'd get the full experience and get all of its expansions and DLC's as well. Even by Sunday night, the prices of the base game and everything else were massively discounted but I nonetheless procrastinated. When I logged in Monday morning to finally purchase them, the sale was over and they were all at full price again. :eek:

Let us know how Tropico 6 is, I for one am interested.

And don't worry, Stellaris seems to go on sale every major Steam sale.

Zardnaar

Legend
Thank you everyone for your help and input. :)

However, I made a mistake that I'm still kicking myself over:

-G

They're on sale almost every month.

Remove ads