D&D 5E So Now We Are Paying for Early Access?

Zardnaar

Legend
I found out yesterday about the Wayfinders Guide to Eberron and found out that it is going to be updated over the playtest presumably through UA.

While not a massive fan of the magitech genre the 3E ECS changed my mind. However the WGtE is a "living" document which means it will be updated. Which is fine in theory but in effect it seems like they are monetiszing playtest material (with pretty art) or in effect you are paying for early access.

Think about it "playtest this for us and give us your feedback" all for the low low price of $19.99.

IDK what tothink here, really not a fan of the concept of paying for playtest material. yes I know I don't have to buy it but the idea not such a fan of. I don't pay for early access on video games either.

Except that whenever a PDF is updated on the DMs Guild, all those who have bought it get those updates free. So you're not paying any extra for playtest material or early access. You're paying the same thing whether you buy the book now, and get all the upgrades piecemeal, or whether you wait for the book to be completed. It's basically a preorder with bonuses; there's literally zero cost difference, only a difference of when you choose to pay and whether you have access to the early drafts in the interim.

Slit518

Adventurer
Early Access seems to be a new way to fund projects. Before, it used to be pre-orders. But now, with early access, they have you pay to do the beta testing for them, instead of paying actual testers themselves. This cuts costs for the company, as they don't have to pay anyone, and it gives them more money to work on the project as they're doing it, as opposed to waiting for the book to come out and waiting for people to buy the completed project. This also seems like a way to gauge interest in a project.

For a reputable company, Early Access doesn't seem to be a problem. But for those less known or less reputable companies, Early Access can be a problem. From WotC, you shouldn't have anything to fear, because they know if they screw up 1 or 2 Early Access titles and never finish them, or never release them, or just make them complete useless garbage, they would tarnish their reputation and no one would buy Early Access from them again.

Where as Joe down the street can have Early Access for his Steam game, "Voxelated World" and never finish it, because Joe has no obligation to finish it, and he already got everyone's cash and can run away with it. Joe has no reputation, and can start over as somebody else at a later time, WotC doesn't have that luxury to scam its customers.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I am ok with it. Not only did I feel that the price was worth what I got (there's a lot more in the document than what got released in UA), but I am also voting with my dollars to see more of this content get created.

WotC is making a product available for purchase. It doesn't really matter if that product is "play test" or "early access" or "anything else".

It's a product, its fairly clear what is and is not included. If you want it, buy it. If you don't, don't. Over time the market will decide if this is an acceptable model for selling products or not.

Its good when companies try new things. Innovation is good.

Yes.
The thing is... it's not a bad thing.

Unlike video games, the Wayfinder's Guide is completely and entirely playable. It's not a buggy mess. Instead, WotC is taking advantage of the ability of PDFs to be updated and expanded over time.
They're not holding back the book for six months to a year until it's "perfect" (because the D&D teams has NOT demonstrated they are good at updating things on a regular basis). We're not getting the bare bones content until it is "finished".

We get the book now, and get the updates and revisions for free. And we get the updates when they add the artificer and other additions. And then, when ready, they'll release it as Print on Demand.

Zardnaar

Legend
Early Access seems to be a new way to fund projects. Before, it used to be pre-orders. But now, with early access, they have you pay to do the beta testing for them, instead of paying actual testers themselves. This cuts costs for the company, as they don't have to pay anyone, and it gives them more money to work on the project as they're doing it, as opposed to waiting for the book to come out and waiting for people to buy the completed project. This also seems like a way to gauge interest in a project.

For a reputable company, Early Access doesn't seem to be a problem. But for those less known or less reputable companies, Early Access can be a problem. From WotC, you shouldn't have anything to fear, because they know if they screw up 1 or 2 Early Access titles and never finish them, or never release them, or just make them complete useless garbage, they would tarnish their reputation and no one would buy Early Access from them again.

Where as Joe down the street can have Early Access for his Steam game, "Voxelated World" and never finish it, because Joe has no obligation to finish it, and he already got everyone's cash and can run away with it. Joe has no reputation, and can start over as somebody else at a later time, WotC doesn't have that luxury to scam it's customers.

I don't expect them to scam anyone.

jgsugden

Legend
There are a few typos and they may tweak a bit for balance, but it is fine as is. Don't worry about a label. Worry about the worth of the content.

delericho

Legend
As [MENTION=1288]Mouseferatu[/MENTION] has said, when they update the document, they'll update the PDF for free. So it's not just playtest material I've paid for - it's also the final version once that becomes available.

Given that Eberron is my favourite of their published settings, and given that my efforts to run it with 5e (using the previous UA offering) have fallen badly flat, I'm quite glad to see this document - it gives me a better chance of actually enjoying running my preferred edition in my preferred setting than I had before.

And if it turns out that it really does suck? Even that's a win - I'll then know that WotC's 5e setting material isn't worth bothering with, and for an investment of $20 in a PDF rather than $50 in a hardback.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases