D&D 5E Rage of Demons: Elf Background

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I plan on playing a Wood Elf, named Kuinne, with Cormanthor Refugee Background in the upcoming Adventurers League campaign Rage of Demons at my FLGS. Kuinne is very proud of his heritage, probably too proud.

Here's the rub, I know very little about Elves in Forgotten Realms. Besides the two free downloads (State of Hillsfar and R.o.D. players guide), where can I find out about the latest happenings of Myth Drannor? I remember this place was setting of an adventure in 1E, but that's about it.

Free info is always good, but I'm willing to pick up a PDF for $5 if it provides good info.

My character's Background:

[Sblock] Name: Kuinne
Background: Cormanthor Refugee

Kuinne is from a semi-nomadic refugee camp comprised solely of elves. This group prefers isolation, viewing all outsiders as potential threats. Kuinne has had mostly positive interactions with other races, but rarely with humans. Most human interaction involved Red Plume soldiers (never good) or slavers.

Coming from a poor, but proud culture; the Clergy taught him the histories of the Elves and of Myth Drannor in its glory days. Kuinne gets his moral identity from these teachings (puts the "good" in his chaotic-good alignment, also makes him a Tree Hugger). On the flip side, Kuinne believes that his proud Elven history makes elves inherently superior to other "civilized" races.

Personality Trait:
#6 I am a forest bumpkin who grew up in a tent in the woods and is wholly ignorant of city life.

Ideal
#2 Rebellious: Governments and politicians drove my family to the camps. I subtly defy authority whenever I think I can get away with it. (Chaotic)

Bond
#17 Tree Hugger: The Cormanthor Forest is one of the wonders of Toril. It must be protected, preserved, and cherished.

Flaw
#2 I am haughty. I grew up among the elves and emulate them. Other races are crude in comparison. [/Sblock]

not-so-newguy

Why would one need to emulate being an elf if he actually IS an elf? That trait doesn't make a lot of sense.:confused:

I copied & pasted directly of State of Hillsfar.

Yes, an Elf that "emulates an Elf" makes no sense. He's just very proud of his elvishness and Hillsfar has a strict "Human's only" policy. I think it can make for some interesting role play.

This is why I'm looking for a little extra info on the Elves around Hillsfar and on Myth Drannor.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
You have already put more thought into this than pretty much anyone else who plays elves.

How exactly do I play a person who has lived a century but hasn't learned anything more than I knew when I was 16?
In what way does one's live play out that experience alone hasn't changed his outlook on life? And, hey, this is a people who never sleep so he actually has MORE experience than I would if I lived a century.
And Elves live in this society where magic is the convenient excuse for how everything gets done because I have never seen Wood Elves who have the basic menial jobs necessary for a society to function ever being really a thing... they seem to all universally be trained as adventurers with no explanation as to where they get their ore, who crafts their weapons and armor, how they get their food, who constructs their shelters and so forth ever being given-- it is just hand-waved as "magic".

I mean, really... how is their long life experience expressed? Having a few extra weapon skills? All those extra years lived and instead of learning any craft or profession, what they have to show for it is the ability to use a few more weapons?

Really, the more you think about it, trying to express an elf and their background makes less and less sense. This is why everyone more or less just plays them like humans and tries to forget any of the ludicrousness the various aspects of the race actually suggest.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6786140]not-so-newguy[/MENTION]
Like a lot of stuff in the Realms, the fate of Myth Drannor hasn't been revealed AFAIK.

Dragon Magazine 359 has the most comprehensive information about Myth Drannor available.

Then there were a few Dragon articles about attempts at resettling it, but I think those were before the 100 year time jump in 4e Forgotten Realms.

Anyhow, the Tel-quessir wood elves in FR are described here: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Wood_elf

Mirtek

Hero
[MENTION=6786140]not-so-newguy[/MENTION]
Like a lot of stuff in the Realms, the fate of Myth Drannor hasn't been revealed AFAIK.
Actually it had it's own Sundering novel. It has been conquered by Nerheril, but the victory was short lived as Shade Enclave crashed down upon Myth Drannor leaving bith cities in ruin

Last edited:

Andor

First Post
[Sblock] Name: Kuinne

Personality Trait:
#6 I am a forest bumpkin who grew up in a tent in the woods and is wholly ignorant of city life.

Ideal
#2 Rebellious: Governments and politicians drove my family to the camps. I subtly defy authority whenever I think I can get away with it. (Chaotic)

Bond
#17 Tree Hugger: The Cormanthor Forest is one of the wonders of Toril. It must be protected, preserved, and cherished.

Flaw
#2 I am haughty. I grew up among the elves and emulate them. Other races are crude in comparison. [/Sblock]
I get a terribly Scottish vibe from that. And why not? Why should dwarves get all the fun.

not-so-newguy

[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.
[MENTION=40810]Mirtek[/MENTION]
This development is very interesting to me. I'm hoping Out of the Abyss will have a bit more info on this since The Cormanthor Forest is part of the opening part of the campaign.
[MENTION=1879]Andor[/MENTION]
Given that Myth Drannor was destroyed, the Elves in the area share that old dwarven trope of "Lost homeland that was totally awesome." (E.g. Moria from Middle-Earth.) Kuinne is certainly grimmer than than typical Elf, but his circumstances are grimmer than the typical Elf. At least, that's my story ...and I'm sticking to it; until the DM tells I'm dead wrong. Then I'll adapt my backstory as needed ;-)

As far as his being Scottish? Nope. Although, I did make him a ginger elf (Red Hair and Freckles)

Also, I plan to sneak in a little elvish phrase I discovered:
bhin (slang) young human male
biir (derogatory) garbage

Pronouncing it "BEE-er-bin"

Remove ads