D&D 5E Why don't Druids get charm animals and plants as a class ability?

fromthe1980s

First Post
Playing LMoP and the first cave has wolves. We have a Druid in the party who can't make friends without a spell? But a nature cleric could? Huh? I know the adventure lets anyone make friends by offering a snack but this is just one instance. I would think Druids could do this multiple times per especially on low CR animals.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Playing LMoP and the first cave has wolves. We have a Druid in the party who can't make friends without a spell? But a nature cleric could? Huh? I know the adventure lets anyone make friends by offering a snack but this is just one instance. I would think Druids could do this multiple times per especially on low CR animals.

For the same reason that Paladins can't get a special horse without casting a spell, and Rangers can't shoot lots of arrows without a (fifth level!!) spell. (Okay, *technically* you can shoot lots of arrows with a second-level spell--conjure barrage--but swift quiver is literally a fifth-level spell, with concentration, that lets you fire two extra shots as a bonus action. So apparently shooting four arrows a round for two combats a day is a fifth-level spell ability!)

That is: 5e "solved" the issue of some classes having lots of class features by making a whole bunch of them into spells. Paladin, Ranger, and Druid being the key examples.

The nature cleric would need to use a channel divinity power (which is just a spell of sorts using a different resource system) to do so. Even that is only a magical effect that lasts one minute. Offering food and being kind to the animal is the only way make real friends and anyone can do that. Also remember that the druid has the ability to change into the same form as the animal and effectively communicate, which is something the nature cleric can't even come close to doing.

G

Guest 6801328

But the OP does have a point: Druids should get Advantage or double Proficiency or something like that when attempting to use a Charisma ability on animals and sentient plants.

S

Sunseeker

Druids lack a number of obviously nature-related spells but have access to a dozen different fire spells. It's very odd.

What is a "cleric of nature" but a druid anyway?

Xvartslayer

First Post
But the OP does have a point: Druids should get Advantage or double Proficiency or something like that when attempting to use a Charisma ability on animals and sentient plants.

Please no! The less fussy little modifiers the better.

How about Druidcraft cantrip allows advantage with critters and talking plants?

Personally, as a DM I would absolutely grant advantage - at least - to a druid who wants to engage with animals provided the druid was played as a character that liked and respected animals. I just don't want those little corner cases codified as rules.

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way

Personally, as a DM I would absolutely grant advantage - at least - to a druid who wants to engage with animals provided the druid was played as a character that liked and respected animals. I just don't want those little corner cases codified as rules.

So instead we end up with an ever-growing pile of totally-not-rules corner cases adjudicated consistently across a variety of contexts?

fromthe1980s

First Post
True nature of druids

In my mind, making friends with animals goes to the heart of 'druidism.' I totally missed 3.0 3.5 4.0 and Pathfinder, but in the old days, I don't remember that Druids got wildshape. Now that seems to be the main class feature.

We can argue what being a Druid is all about, but I would also like to make a plug that calling animals to your aid should be a main class feature. Now that doesn't seem to happen until 5th level with Conjure Animals. That spell doesn't sit right with me either since the animals aren't animals but fey.

My preference would be to replace wildshape with some sort of 'call animals' that would increase as you level up (like wildshape) and would be up to the DM to determine what's available in the environment. If not replace wildshape then it could be another circle choice. Make wildshape a spell maybe.

G

Guest 6801328

Wait...so a class ability that grants Advantage is a fussy little modifier, but a cantrip that does the same thing is not?

/confused

Remove ads