Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What I am saying is literature has many meanings as a word. One use of the word is broadly 'all written works'.

Then end of story. If that's one use of the word, then RPGs are in fact literature. Regardless of any other uses.

But that especially part of the definition is important. It isn't just a mere subset, it is one of the most prevalent uses of the word literature. That is what especially means. And your argument relies on us accepting lit as 'words on a page' only to make further arguments that require lit to be aspiring to a higher quality.

I've made multiple different arguments. What I have not done is make arguments that require literature to be aspiring to a higher quality.

First off, shows are scripted, RPGs are not. Shows rely much more heavily on the actual written words than RPGs in that respect. If you scripted all your games, by all means, make an argument for it being literature. But more importantly, when people talk about shows, movies, etc being literary it is usually because they are aspiring to part B of the definition (great works) rather than mere 'words on a page'.

Actors improvise lines all the time.

But you need to demonstrate that is what RPGs are in order to do that (and not get it in the door by arguing they are literature because they use words. This is where you use equivocation in your argument.

I have established that RPGs are literature. That's not in doubt. We can either leave it at that, or discuss the more narrow subcategories of literature that might or might not apply.

Yes it is. I just explained why.

You don't get to tell me what I am doing. I know what I am doing, and it's not sophistry.

You are once again playing word games and ignoring what I am actually saying (and you are insisting I am doing things, I am point blank telling you I am not doing).

Tell you what. You stop telling me what I am doing that I am telling you that I am no doing, and I'll stop telling you what you are doing.

There is an enormous spectrum of behavior within pro-active and non-proactive. You offered up an extreme case so bad, I haven't actually seen it in play.

I have. It was very frustrating. They would react to what I provided, but did very little else. One of my current players also started out that way, but I encourage and guide players and he's much more proactive now.

Hussar

Legend
But these are not distinctly literary notions. Pacing, character development, and tone, etc. all exist within film media, for example, but these are not regarded as "literary." This is a categorical issue.

Sigh. Just because it exists in film, does not suddenly make it "not literary". Where do you think film gets it from?

Hussar

Legend
Yeah. Again, the last six or seven pages of this "discussion" has all been because folks absolutely refuse to pin down what definition of "literary" they would like us to use. If Literary=high art, then this discussion is, for all intents and purposes, over because we all agree that RPGing isn't meant to be high art.

So, [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION], [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], and anyone else who cares to weigh in, would you PLEASE define your terms. What do YOU mean by "literary". Not, playstyle or any other dodge, or comparisons to baking a cake. What do YOU mean, and we'll discuss using THAT definition.

Because, boys and girls, until such time as you folks want to plant the goal posts, this conversation is just going to keep circling the same rabbit hole. [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] is, if we use his definition of literary, 100% correct. But, if we use [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s definition, he's 100% wrong. So, which definition do you want us to use? Pick one, stick with it, and we can move on.

Yeah. Again, the last six or seven pages of this "discussion" has all been because folks absolutely refuse to pin down what definition of "literary" they would like us to use. If Literary=high art, then this discussion is, for all intents and purposes, over because we all agree that RPGing isn't meant to be high art.

So, [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION], [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], and anyone else who cares to weigh in, would you PLEASE define your terms. What do YOU mean by "literary". Not, playstyle or any other dodge, or comparisons to baking a cake. What do YOU mean, and we'll discuss using THAT definition.

Because, boys and girls, until such time as you folks want to plant the goal posts, this conversation is just going to keep circling the same rabbit hole. [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] is, if we use his definition of literary, 100% correct. But, if we use [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s definition, he's 100% wrong. So, which definition do you want us to use? Pick one, stick with it, and we can move on.

The people making assertions about the literary nature of RPGs are the ones who need to settle on a definition to be used. The problem is we keep getting told we are using one definition, then the other gets used in order to broaden the claims. It is equivocation and it makes this kind of discussion nearly impossible to have.

Hussar

Legend
The people making assertions about the literary nature of RPGs are the ones who need to settle on a definition to be used. The problem is we keep getting told we are using one definition, then the other gets used in order to broaden the claims. It is equivocation and it makes this kind of discussion nearly impossible to have.

No. Absolutely not. I have defined what I meant by literary numerous times. I have been explicitly clear about what I consider to be literary.

Time to pony up.

Do you mean literary as "high art" or simply "something found in fiction writing"?

Aldarc

Legend
Sigh. Just because it exists in film, does not suddenly make it "not literary".
Hmmmm... I was not aware that I was arguing this position, Hussar. So where did you get this from? :confused:

Where do you think film gets it from?
::Looks at my post several posts before yours, quoted below for your convenience::

The main reason why these media are discussed as "text" is because literary criticism is far more advanced chronologically than other burgeoning forms. Literary criticism dictated the terms of conversation, and many of the earliest film studies academics came out literary studies or imported their terms from literary studies. Film studies was largely discussed through literary criticism until the discipline began establishing for itself its own identity, idioms, and issues as a field. We probably should not claim that films are literature simply as a result of this historical accident.
So no, [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION], I clearly have no idea where film gets it from. But the point is not where film gets "it" from but the fact that we cannot say that RPGs or film are literature just because they both have "it." :p

Normally, we see fairly eye-to-eye, Hussar. But since we are not here, I will be clear with what I am arguing so you don't repeat errors like the above.

I am aware that the discourse of film studies originally came out of literary studies. I am not arguing that because these elements exist in film they do not exist in literature. My point is that these things are not distinctly literary elements. Instead, there is an overlapping set of storytelling techniques that exist across different types of media. [insert venn diagram here] It is inaccurate, for example, to say that pacing in TTRPGs is literary on the basis that story pacing also exists as a technique of literature. This is the categorical error that you dismissively sighed about while ignoring.

This is because story pacing is also an integral part of storytelling in oral stories, theater, television, film, and video game media. Moreover, the issues of story pacing will also be unique to each particular medium. How to appropriately pace your book's story will differ from how to appropriately pace your theatrical play, or your video game, or your movie, or your serialized television show,* or your TTRPG game sessions. This is something that most people recognize outside of this niche web forum.

* This issue of pacing in television has also changed with the advent of online original produced by streaming services like Netflix and Amazon. These services have changed how we watch shows, which changes how these shows are produced, scripted, and paced. E.g., A cliffhanger makes less sense at the end of a midseason episode of a Netflix original when you will immediately watch the next episode of an entire season that has been uploaded at once.

There are two definitions that have been floated and utilized in this thread. (And often with the equivocation that [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] has rightfully criticized.) So in regards to one definition:
You agree, for example, that if we take the position that literature pertains to "higher literature" (per its cognitive association, connotation, and common parole) then RPGs probably would not qualify as literature. I have not argued either way regarding that. So we can put that definition to the side and instead focus on Max's definition, which is what I have been criticizing.

I don't think that Maxperson is 100% correct that RPGs are literature or literary on the basis that RPGs utilize literature, using his broader definition of "pertaining to a written text." You may call it a dodge, but my point with raising the analogy of cooking and sports is to illustrate that both activities are defined by more than their associated literature (i.e., recipes and rulebooks, respectively) and we do not consider either of these activities to be "literature" (with Max's sense) simply because they have associated written texts. There is more to cooking than the recipe. There is more to a sport than the rulebook. There is more to TTRPGS than the rulebook, character sheet, or other associated literature. We typically talk more about playing the game and the processes around it. We may argue about the rulebooks, much as sports fans argue about its rules or changes thereof (e.g., changing the shot clock time, what constitutes a foul, what is a legal catch, what is unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.). This is typically for the sake of making informed rulings.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Sorry, [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], but, which definition are YOU using? Until such time as you and [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] actually tell me which definition you want to use, then we can't actually have any sort of meaningful discussion. Are we going to use [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s broader definition or not? Pick one and we'll stick with that.

You say that I'm making a category error. That's only true if we're using the broader definition. And, well, I do think it's a complete dodge to say, "Well, pacing exists in other media, so, it's not literary". That's not true. It IS literary, as well as other things. Now, since TV, movies, books, short stories, etc, all have pacing concerns, then, it's fair to say that any narrative form (which is what I was arguing with [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] about, not simply literary form) will have pacing concerns. They have to.

Now, [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] claims that he does not pay any attention to pacing whatsoever in his adventure creation, nor during play. Now, I have to take him at his word for that, but, to me, that sounds like a terrible game. And "ignore pacing" is advice I would never give to any DM. To me, that's horrible advice.

But, in any case, can we at least just use ONE definition? Otherwise, we're just talking past each other and it's very frustrating.

Aldarc

Legend
[MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION], you should consider reading before you jump into responding because my above post does address (fairly directly) many of your questions and issues. As it stands, you are the one who is talking past me.

That's only true if we're using the broader definition. And, well, I do think it's a complete dodge to say, "Well, pacing exists in other media, so, it's not literary". That's not true.
I do wish that you and Max would stop rudely repeating this strawman argument. Hussar, you are better than this. Cut it out. I also have explained myself about this as well in the above post.

To repeat:
Sigh. Just because it exists in film, does not suddenly make it "not literary".
This is not my argument. So where did you get this argument from?

Sadras

Legend
I'm running a heavily modified B10, with tie-ins to past characters of our table's failed/abandoned adventuring parties. It took me a significant period of time to lace together a backstory for this linear mini-campaign that logically incorporates parts of the module as well as the various characters (PCs and ex-PCs) and their motivations.

Now I am no wordsmith, but at the simplest level I do consider my efforts in structuring this inter-connected backstory that engages and surprises the players a literary endeavour.

Do you mean literary as "high art" or simply "something found in fiction writing"?

I don't understand why you think I need to 'pony up'.

Both of those definitions are more than 'written works'. And both of those, in my opinion, are not things I would consider roleplaying games to be. But I am not the one making assertions about RPGs being a literary endeavor. For the main discussion on this thread, I was adhering to the OPs use of literary. And generally I think literary has a strong implication of meaning B that I was talking about. But my issue isn't with what definition people want to go with. It is that you can't use meaning A to equivocate in order to argue for meaning B, or definition 2, being a key part of RPGs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases