Lichlings

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, I think these will be CR 10 based on comparisons to other monsters. So the natural armor looks ok but maybe a touch low; I'll bump it a little. DR 10/magic & silver to give it a little more oomph. I'll write this up in the next post.

freyar

Mature Lichling

Lichling (Mature) CR 11
Always CE Huge Undead
Init -1; Senses Darkvision 60 ft, Tremorsense 60 ft, Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages None
-------------------------------------------
AC 22 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +15 natural armor), touch 7, flat-footed 22
HP 130 (20d12)
DR 10/magic and silver
Immune Cold, Electricity, Undead Immunities
Fort +12 Ref +5 Will +8
Speed 30 ft (2 sq), Climb 10 ft (2 sq), Fly 60 ft (poor, 12 sq)
Melee Bite +17 (6d6+13) and 2 Claws +15 (2d10+9)
Space 15ft; Reach 10ft
Base Atk +10; Grapple +43
Atk Options Improved Grab, Chew, Breath Weapon
Abilities Str 29 Dex 8 Con - Int - Wis 14 Cha 16
SQ Stench, Iron Mandibles, Undead Traits
Feats Multiattack(B)
Skills Climb +21, Hide -1, Move Silently +7
Advancement -
--------------------------------------------
Skills A lichling has a +12 racial bonus on Climb checks, +8 racial bonus on Hide checks, and +8 racial bonus on Move Silently checks. Lichlings use either their Strength modifier or Dexterity for Climb checks, whichever is higher. A lichling can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks even if rushed or threatened.
Improved Grab (Ex) When a lichling hits with a claw or bite attack, it may attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an Attack of Opportunity. If it wins the grapple attempt, it transfers its foe to its mouth and may Chew on subsequent rounds that it maintains the grapple. The lichling may choose to take a -20 penalty to its grapple checks; if it does so, it is not considered to be grappling.
Chew (Ex) A mature lichling deals automatic bite damage each round to an opponent that it is grappling.
Breath Weapon (Su) Once every other round, a mature lichling may spray a 100ft line of bone fragments that deals 6d6 hp of bludgeoning and piercing damage (DC 23 Reflex save for half damage; the save DC is Charisma-based).
Iron Mandibles (Ex) Lichling mandibles are as strong as iron and therefore ignore any hardness less than 10.
Stench (Su) A lichling secretes an oily ichor that all forms of life find offensive. Any creature within 30 ft of a lichling must make a DC 23 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1d6 rounds. Whether or not the save is successful, that creature may not be affected by any lichling's (or lichling swarm's) stench for an hour.
Tremorsense (Ex) A lichling can sense the position of any creature within 60 ft that is in contact with the ground (or wall).

This is a massive creature of bone, dripping with a dark oily ichor and a putrid vapor. It has wicked claws and razor-sharp insectile mandibles, and its ragged wings almost impossibly lift it off the ground to move toward you.

If a lichling has fed enough on the fear of other creatures, it can grow to a surprising size. While it retains its overall shape and mindless nature, a mature lichling has also developed claw attacks and a breath weapon.

Combat Strategies and Tactics
Mature lichlings usually open combat by using their breath weapon to catch as many opponents as possible, but they then close to melee quickly. They typically try to grab and chew one opponent (often the most frightened), while attacking others with claws. If they defeat all nearby opponents, they will use their breath weapon again.

Last edited:

freyar

I think that's it. I changed the bone-spitting to a breath weapon, since it's just so pathetic at ranged attacks for its CR. I also went with CR 11, since the chewing ability is pretty potent. I noticed that the bite damage should have been 6d6 on the advancement to Huge, also.

I'll add in some fluff later. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy these!

Amazing Mumford

First Post
Freyar-

Wow, definitely nice work. Thank-you for your time, they really look good! The only thing I am not 100% sure I am going to include is the stench part, I know that was included in the lichling swarm but I never remember that ability as being a part of the individual creatures... I do agree with the breath weapon update for the mature version, makes much more sense.

Thanks again!

freyar

AM, no problem. Once I get a chance (maybe later this week?), I'll write the usual combat strategies and fluff sections, and I'll do these up as a PDF.

freyar

Joint fluff

Organization and Sample Encounters
Young lichlings are typically encountered either alone but most often in groups of 2-6 and sometimes 8-12. They are most common at the smallest sizes, but larger specimens due turn up from time to time. The most rare lichling is the legendary mature lichling, which is almost always found alone or with just a few young lichlings.
Lichling Pack (EL 2-5): Usually, lichlings are found in small packs of 2 to 6 of the diminutive monsters attacking everyone in sight. These packs are usually more than enough to destroy entire communities.
Solitary Lichling (EL 11): Mature lichlings have, typically speaking, destroyed anything and everything around them, but sometimes up to 5 young lichlings have managed to avoid their attentions.
Lich’s Pet (EL variable): Since they are under the control of the undead that create them, lichlings are reasonable guard-monsters for undead spellcasters like liches. A lich might very well keep a mature lichling at its side during a battle.

Ecology and Society
Lichlings are perversions created when an undead spellcaster, usually a lich, experiments on itself with necromantic spells, such as create greater undead. After a complex ritual, thousands of miniature lichlings the size of insects burst from the lich’s skull, beginning
their unlife.
Lichlings appear to feed on fear and other negative emotions, as well as sources of life such
as seeds and fruits, though it is unusual and not understood how undead can gain nourish-
ment from sources of Positive Energy. As they feed, they grow, and it is speculated that they even absorb each other, so that the swarm of thousands of lichlings eventually becomes a mob of young lichlings, which breaks into packs of 2-6. These lichlings continue to grow as long as they can feed (assuming no one destroys them).
Legends speak of lichlings with giant claws that grow up to 80 feet in length, monstrosities that breathe bone bits in a devastating spray. A few adventurers claim to have survived meeting such an abomination, but who is to say if these wanderers can be trusted?
Alignment: Lichlings are the same alignment as their creators. But since only the most depraved of undead spellcasters like liches and demiliches would undergo the rituals needed to create lichlings, it is safe to say that lichlings are always Chaotic Evil.
Treasure: Lichlings keep no treasure of their own.

Lore
A Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (religion) check reveals that
Code:
DC  Result
12  This is clearly some kind of undead creature. Reveals undead traits.
17  This is a lichling, a monster spawned in the skull of a lich. Reveals stench & attach.
22  Lichlings are said to feed on fear, etc. Reveals liches that might create them.
32  Rumors speak of gigantic lichlings capable of spraying bone shards 100 ft.

freyar

So you can see that I've finished the flavor text on these things. I've also added them to a new PDF (called More Realmsian Creatures) on my website (see link in my sig), also available here.

Remove ads