D&D 5E [+] Mulling over a homebrew 10th level Ranger feature, "Equalizer". Help!

Rocker26a

Explorer
So yeah, over the past couple years or so I've been tinkering with a homebrew levelling table for Ranger, because WOTC won't ever give me what I truly desire. Part of my intent with what I have, is creating some level of parity with Paladin. Not rendering them 1:1, but they do parallel eachother in some respects and I wanted to represent that with some of the mechanics. They get their signature abilities at 2nd level alongside spellcasting, they get potent abilities at 6th level, etc. I'm currently up to the 10th level feature. I have an idea for it, but I don't quite know how to render it mechanically.

Y'see, at 11th level, Paladins get "Improved Divine Smite". They get bonus damage on all their attacks. Something that you might consider Ranger's domain, usually. I thought in the spirit of flipping the script, it would be interesting to give Ranger a Smite adjacent ability at 10th level (can't be 11th, since Rangers get their subclass ability at 11th level). A once-per-day special attack you spend your action to make, specifically for huge threats that would greatly outmatch them under normal circumstances (hence the name I have been considering running with, "Equalizer").

I liked the idea of having the choice between a melee attack and a ranged attack, informed by the genre appropriate recipients of such an attack; a melee attack for Giant Killing, and a ranged attack for Dragon Slaying (though they'd work on other creatures of course). I thought it'd be fun if they could knock a grounded target prone and prevent them from standing up for a time, and knock a flying target out of the air and prevent them from taking off again for a time.

The main thing I'm unsure about with this ability, is how it's damage should work. It feels like it should depend on the target. Like you could just smoke a Kobold with it, it'd just be a waste. The specifics are just difficult. I considered making it depend on the target's CR, I guess kind of like Turn/Destroy Undead, but. Maybe that's kind of nebulous for a single target ability. Could maybe make it depend on the target's hit dice? But either way, should it equate to a number of damage dice, or just a flat damage value? I don't know. Tricky.

Some input on this would be appreciated! I think this could be a workable concept, it would be nice to get it up and running.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Maybe something that plays homage to the bonus damage equal to their level against "giant-class humanoids" they used to get in 1E? (which btw, could easily wipe out a goblin, which was on the list, while hurting giants a lot). Perhaps a one-time 11d6 attack +1d6 per additional level? That doesn't have a lot of flavor, but throwing it out there as something to potentially work with.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Maybe something that plays homage to the bonus damage equal to their level against "giant-class humanoids" they used to get in 1E? (which btw, could easily wipe out a goblin, which was on the list, while hurting giants a lot). Perhaps a one-time 11d6 attack +1d6 per additional level? That doesn't have a lot of flavor, but throwing it out there as something to potentially work with.

Oh, hey! That's nice to know, that I'm harkening back to a legacy feature without even intending to! It encourages me to see it through!

I think I did consider scaling it off the Ranger's level once, but. Was concerned it could end up being far too much or far too little damage, depending. I feel like it ought to be rolled damage rather than a flat value, even if a flat value would be simpler. And I think I'd lean towards making the damage dice D8s if possible, just to distinguish it from Sneak Attack a little. But yeah, that asks more questions than it answers.

Hm... Actually, maybe something like the opposite of Lay on Hands? A once-per-day bonus to an attack that deals 5 times your level in damage? Would that be crazy? Would that be too much? I don't know!

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oh, hey! That's nice to know, that I'm harkening back to a legacy feature without even intending to! It encourages me to see it through!

I think I did consider scaling it off the Ranger's level once, but. Was concerned it could end up being far too much or far too little damage, depending. I feel like it ought to be rolled damage rather than a flat value, even if a flat value would be simpler. And I think I'd lean towards making the damage dice D8s if possible, just to distinguish it from Sneak Attack a little. But yeah, that asks more questions than it answers.

Hm... Actually, maybe something like the opposite of Lay on Hands? A once-per-day bonus to an attack that deals 5 times your level in damage? Would that be crazy? Would that be too much? I don't know!
I think that could work but would limit to use with a weapon instead of just a touch.

Rocker26a

Explorer
I think that could work but would limit to use with a weapon instead of just a touch.

I would advocate for being able to perform the melee version unarmed. I've always thought it was lame that you can't Smite unarmed. Though, yes, the ranged version would require a ranged weapon obviously.

Rocker26a

Explorer
It has occurred to me that while a distinction between a melee and a ranged variant is fun, it kinda over-complicates it unnecessarily. Having it be just one ability you can use when making a weapon attack, melee or ranged, creates less ambiguity. And if it knocks the target prone and reduces their speed to 0, it has that intended effect of preventing grounded creatures from standing up for a time, and knocking flying creatures out of the sky.

So now yeah, just wondering if damage equal to five times Ranger level is wacky or not. And also how to word "and the target is knocked prone, and the target's speed is reduced to 0" in a fluid way. I feel like using two ands back-to-back is improper.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
Elemental attack:

when you hit with ranged or melee attack add +1d6 damage.
damage type is chosen from Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison or Thunder.
You attacks are counted as magical.

This is as close to paladins improved smite while keeping nature theme and melee/ranged versatility of ranger.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My personal redesign of ranger inserts Hunters pet and Defensive tactics of level appropriate strength at levels 1, 9, 13, 17.

aco175

Legend
Have you thought about / factored in the part about gaining advantage on attacking prone targets or damage from falling if forced to the ground? Not sure if the intent of the power was to bring a giant to its knees and restrain him over making him prone, or force a dragon to land for a time over making it fall from the sky. Seems like it can be worded better to take both into account. I do not have it though.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Elemental attack:

when you hit with ranged or melee attack add +1d6 damage.
damage type is chosen from Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison or Thunder.
You attacks are counted as magical.

This is as close to paladins improved smite while keeping nature theme and melee/ranged versatility of ranger.

I would say, while there's nothing inherently wrong with this, it's not the right track for what I'm intending here. I'm shooting for a parallel to regular Divine Smite at the mid-game level, since Paladins get a parallel to Ranger's (usual) signature mechanic at the mid-game levels.

My personal redesign of ranger inserts Hunters pet and Defensive tactics of level appropriate strength at levels 1, 9, 13, 17.

I have mixed feelings about any "hey you have an animal buddy" feature for Ranger. On the one hand, I love the flavour of it of course, I love having an animal buddy. On the other... I don't know about rendering it an actual class or subclass feature. I think there have been admirable attempts, but. May be more trouble than it's worth in that regard. Might be leaning more towards, if you want an animal buddy, you can get one using the Sidekick rules in conjunction with Rangers having the innate ability to communicate with Beasts (or comparable creatures). Otherwise, Conjure Animals is still really good!
As for Defensive Tactics, I also have something somewhat similar to that! But it's just a single, scaling ability. At 6th level they get an ability similar to the Parry skill NPCs get, that lets them add their proficiency bonus to their AC for an enemy's turn. Kinda Shield Lite, but it does some other stuff.

Have you thought about / factored in the part about gaining advantage on attacking prone targets or damage from falling if forced to the ground? Not sure if the intent of the power was to bring a giant to its knees and restrain him over making him prone, or force a dragon to land for a time over making it fall from the sky. Seems like it can be worded better to take both into account. I do not have it though.

Oh for sure, it's a big chunk of damage onto itself, as well as being an opening for yet more damage besides. Depending on the initiative order.

The intent was for the ability to do those two respectively, depending on the target! If you hit a grounded target, they're sent tumbling arse over head. If you hit a flying target, they're blasted out of the air. And there is an interaction within the rules that makes it happen! Per the Player's Basic Rules (v0.2), page 71: "If a flying creature is knocked prone, has its speed reduced to 0, or is otherwise deprived of the ability to move, the creature falls, unless it has the ability to hover or it is being held aloft by magic, such as the fly spell."
I'm now wondering if making the target's speed reduced to 0 is technically unnecessary, if knocking it prone accomplishes the desired effect all the same, and they can't (usually) move when it's not their turn anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads