D&D (2024) Homebrew: New ability for Rangers; Rapid attack, it is fueled by spell slots, but adding more martial flavor to ranger.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
magic weapons do not deal extra damage on a hit by default.
it's just damage resistance remover.
Well, they typically deal a flat damage bonus, equal to their flat to-hit bonus. Not a lot of magic weapons don’t have a +X.

Anyway, I’d be in favor of a class feature that let rangers spend spell slots to do something martial, but this is self-evidently way overboard.

Horwath

Legend
Well, they typically deal a flat damage bonus, equal to their flat to-hit bonus. Not a lot of magic weapons don’t have a +X.
yes, it's true.
But there is also abilities that count your attacks as magical is they are not, this is one of them.

Anyway, I’d be in favor of a class feature that let rangers spend spell slots to do something martial, but this is self-evidently way overboard.
Not really.
If it's just extra attack per spell level slot, it is below divine smite DPR for a d8 weapon(used by most rangers) until 5th level slot when it's less than half damage over it.

This is OFC without ranger having advantage or magic weapon bonuses and without paladin waiting for a crit, but burning smite on 1st hit in a round. Counting on 60% hit rate.

With lower AC ranger gets more, with higher AC of target, paladin gets more.

mellored

Legend
Not really.
If it's just extra attack per spell level slot, it is below divine smite DPR for a d8 weapon(used by most rangers) until 5th level slot when it's less than half damage over it.
My main objective would be less about damage and more about speed of play. 5 attacks is a lot to roll.

Not including dipping 2 levels of fighter, or possibly haste.

That's why there AoEs (conjure volley). Roll the damage once.

Horwath

Legend
My main objective would be less about damage and more about speed of play. 5 attacks is a lot to roll.
yet, we roll 10+ saves for a fireball...
Not including dipping 2 levels of fighter, or possibly haste.
That is why it needs to be the ONCE on your turn part in.
That's why there AoEs (conjure volley). Roll the damage once.
One is for clearing trash mooks, other is for single target damage.

mellored

Legend
yet, we roll 10+ saves for a fireball...
That's a rare fireball to hit 10. But your still doing 1 damage roll. Assuming the moons don't just die to the half damage anyways.

I mean, a 2014 hunter ranger with Volly can potentially do over 50 rolls. But you don't see it.

Smite is just damage rolls.
That is why it needs to be the ONCE on your turn part in.
Fair. But that's still 7 attack + 7 damage rolls. 8 with a bonus action.
One is for clearing trash mooks, other is for single target damage.
It's not a bad idea. And it's fine at lower levels, but IMO, that's too much rolling.

Maybe some hits are crits.
Or your automatically roll a 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 on the attacks.
Or some other mechanism to scale the rolls.

Also, Hunters Mark.
Also also, greatsword.

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
That's a rare fireball to hit 10. But your still doing 1 damage roll. Assuming the moons don't just die to the half damage anyways.

I mean, a 2014 hunter ranger with Volly can potentially do over 50 rolls. But you don't see it.
Now when I think about it, Conjure Volley should be attack roll not save for the target,
Ranger's DCs are mostly rubbish.

Smite is just damage rolls.
true
Fair. But that's still 7 attack + 7 damage rolls. 8 with a bonus action.

It's not a bad idea. And it's fine at lower levels, but IMO, that's too much rolling.

Maybe some hits are crits.
Or your automatically roll a 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 on the attacks.
Or some other mechanism to scale the rolls.
Rolling attack rolls is fun.
Also, Hunters Mark.
Anything that can justify using Conc at 17th level for a 1st level spell is feature not a bug.
Also also, greatsword.
If this is the way to see more rangers using greatswords, it's also a feature, not a bug.

mellored

Legend
Though, since this is a homebrew
And if your not handing out magic weapons...
or allowing 2-handers...
And not getting to high levels...
Or your ranger can roll quickly (online)
And this replaces Hunters Mark.

Then it's sounds fun.

Remove ads